The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Block in BIG 10 Championship

Kenny Bell Huge Block - YouTube

Legal or not in NCAA? The offensive player doesn't lead with his helmet. Does that matter?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:39pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:44pm

Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:47pm

There was definitely helmet to helmet contact, although I'm not sure if that was the first contact. (My guess is that it wasn't.)
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

This would be an easy call if the player were a defenseless player like a pass receiver, but he's not. By the current reading of the rule, this should not be called a foul. I suspect the NCAA will change the rule and make ALL targeting at the shoulders and above illegal (except maybe against the ball carrier) next year.

The current rule is that they can't target with the crown of the helmet and can't target above the shoulders against a defenseless player. Neither happened on this play and it was a clean block.

Players going from inside out should know they're going to get lit up.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Penalized for too good a peel-back block! Maybe he wouldn't've drawn it if not for the arm flourish on the follow-thru.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not in love with this call at all. It does not look like a launch. It does not look like a direct head hit. It does not look like the player is defenseless. If any of those things took place than fine, but this is why I think the "call it no matter how close" is a bad thing. I get they are trying to take head hits out of the game, but sometimes close hits are legal.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not in love with this call at all. It does not look like a launch. It does not look like a direct head hit. It does not look like the player is defenseless. If any of those things took place than fine, but this is why I think the "call it no matter how close" is a bad thing. I get they are trying to take head hits out of the game, but sometimes close hits are legal.

Peace
Looking at the statistics for brain disease among football players, getting head hits out of the game is a good thing.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Looking at the statistics for brain disease among football players, getting head hits out of the game is a good thing.
However, for cases like this I think what you'd want is a collar that immobilizes the neck against forward, backward, or sideways flexion while sill allowing rotation of the head on it. Anyone propose such equipment for the game? Because that's the only thing that'd work here unless you outlawed all hits "above the numbers", which would give you a narrower strike zone than baseball.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Then you have missed the point. He could have gotten a head injury by falling, not the actual hit or contact with the blocker. But by rule this does not look illegal. That is the only point I am addressing. And if the hit was a little lower and in his chest, would be be having this conversation?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:36pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
But by rule this does not look illegal.
Which rule? The UNR rule prohibits unnecessary roughness. The game is moving in the direction of judging this hit unnecessary.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:36pm

Quote:
Then you have missed the point. He could have gotten a head injury by falling, not the actual hit or contact with the blocker. But by rule this does not look illegal. That is the only point I am addressing. And if the hit was a little lower and in his chest, would be be having this conversation?

Peace
I haven't missed the point at all. Head hits will be out of the game. Maybe this call is a bad call today. But I don't think it will be for long.

The contact with the head did not occur because of a duck or a slide or other. This will be flagged more often as time goes on.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Which rule? The UNR rule prohibits unnecessary roughness. The game is moving in the direction of judging this hit unnecessary.
Why would this be unnecessary? The defensive player was chasing the ball carrier and had a realistic chance to make a play. If this is going to be illegal, I don't like the way football is headed.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The phrase I like from CJ is "head or neck area". He wants the target area to be the torso with all contact there.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Why would this be unnecessary? The defensive player was chasing the ball carrier and had a realistic chance to make a play. If this is going to be illegal, I don't like the way football is headed.
Ask someone of an older vintage about the game 50 years ago. They will undoubtedly tell you that the game isn't the same. The game has changed a lot since the 80s and even the 90s.

The law of conservation of momentum being what it is, players are more suspect to health issues because of today's game. And it has to be taken out.