The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Which rule? The UNR rule prohibits unnecessary roughness. The game is moving in the direction of judging this hit unnecessary.
Where is your rules reference?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Ask someone of an older vintage about the game 50 years ago. They will undoubtedly tell you that the game isn't the same. The game has changed a lot since the 80s and even the 90s.

The law of conservation of momentum being what it is, players are more suspect to health issues because of today's game. And it has to be taken out.
I honestly do not care what the game had 50 years ago. I care if a rule has been violated here. If a rule has been violated that is the starting point we should be discussing. If you say he launched at least you have NCAA Rules support and interpretation. But a hard hit is not a very good example or reason to throw a flag here. And you have a player chasing a ball handler with a chance to make a play. Now I do not know of any rule not allowing him to be blocked.

I can ask the crew chief of that game what the official said about the call and what the Big Ten or NCAA might have also said. Maybe they supported the call, but I do not see based on everything I have seen why this was an illegal hit.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Ask someone of an older vintage about the game 50 years ago. They will undoubtedly tell you that the game isn't the same. The game has changed a lot since the 80s and even the 90s.

The law of conservation of momentum being what it is, players are more suspect to health issues because of today's game. And it has to be taken out.
Why are they more apt to health issues because of today's game? I don't really agree with that. I think we are more aware of potential injuries and health issues now, but the equipment is better, the physical conditioning is better, and the medical attention is better than it has ever been. There were just as many issues in the 50s and 60s, but they went unnoticed and no one worried about them.

I don't agree that this particular hit has to be taken out of the game at any level. What is the offensive player supposed to do? Pull up and try to patty-cake with him? This is a physical game and people get hit hard.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
2033 NFL Rule 21.3.4d - The game is moving in the direction of solid hits being unnecessary. Players should merely push players while blocking, hoping that is enough.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Why are they more apt to health issues because of today's game? I don't really agree with that. I think we are more aware of potential injuries and health issues now, but the equipment is better, the physical conditioning is better, and the medical attention is better than it has ever been. There were just as many issues in the 50s and 60s, but they went unnoticed and no one worried about them.

I don't agree that this particular hit has to be taken out of the game at any level. What is the offensive player supposed to do? Pull up and try to patty-cake with him? This is a physical game and people get hit hard.
No, it's completely different. 10% heavier and 5% faster than just 10 years ago. 25% heavier and faster (estimated) than the 1960's. More weight colliding at higher speeds = higher safety issues.

That said, I don't like the softening direction we've gone and continue to go. I don't like legal hits getting penalized and/or fined.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 04:44pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
NFHS 9-4-3g
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
NFHS 9-4-3g
I do not have my football rulebooks in front of me, but since when did this become a High School Game?

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not have my football rulebooks in front of me, but since when did this become a High School Game?

Peace
What, you didn't know the Big 10 Championship Game was officiated under high school rules?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What, you didn't know the Big 10 Championship Game was officiated under high school rules?
Next thing he will try to show me is the rule on the crack back blocks.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 07:00pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Next thing he will try to show me is the rule on the crack back blocks.

Peace
This comment, at least in my experience, isn't as frequent nowadays. Granted, I've only been officiating a little over 10 years, but I don't hear this complaint from the sidelines near as much now as when I started.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 07:05pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:

Peace
I didn't have the NCAA book in front of me, but it's in all codes.

Look at the first sentence of NCAA 9-1.

Let me know if you need me to read it to you.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 12:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I didn't have the NCAA book in front of me, but it's in all codes.

Look at the first sentence of NCAA 9-1.

Let me know if you need me to read it to you.
Well get an IPad or some kind of smart phone and this will be easily available to you.

But for the record this is what 9-1 says:

All fouls in this section (unless noted) and any other acts of unnecessary roughness are personal fouls. For flagrant personal fouls mandating conference review, see Rule 9-6. The penalties for all personal fouls are as follows.

Not seeing anything that says this hit was unnecessary.

Here is what 9-1-12 says:
Contact Against an Opponent Out of the Play

ARTICLE 12.

a. No player shall tackle or run into a receiver when a forward pass to him obviously is not catchable. This is a personal foul and not pass interference.

b. No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead.

He was pretty much in the play.

And with all due respect I do not care what the NF Rules are as it relates to this call. It is not relevant as the game has different examples of contact or actions that are more specific than anything the NF puts out in their books.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I care if a rule has been violated here.
That's correct, but the point he made, and its the same one I made earlier, is that this type of block will soon be illegal. Probably next year. If you decide you want to wait until it is illegal to discuss it, fine, but I think its worth talking about now.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 01:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
That's correct, but the point he made, and its the same one I made earlier, is that this type of block will soon be illegal. Probably next year. If you decide you want to wait until it is illegal to discuss it, fine, but I think its worth talking about now.
Well that is fine, but it is not in the rulebook now. I would not have called a foul on this on the field this year unless I felt their was helmet contact. That was my only point.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 08:01am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Well that is fine, but it is not in the rulebook now. I would not have called a foul on this on the field this year unless I felt their was helmet contact. That was my only point.
Everyone gets your point. You don't like a flag here. Fine, at present it's a borderline case, and you're entitled to your opinion (until your supervisor tells you otherwise).

But denying that there's a rule is sticking your head in the sand. UNR is a foul. You say that rule doesn't apply to this play, and others say it does.

The game is not evolving (at every level) in the direction of ruling these hits UNR. That's the point worth discussing.