The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Block in BIG 10 Championship (https://forum.officiating.com/football/93109-block-big-10-championship.html)

zm1283 Tue Dec 04, 2012 03:12pm

Block in BIG 10 Championship

Kenny Bell Huge Block - YouTube

Legal or not in NCAA? The offensive player doesn't lead with his helmet. Does that matter?

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 04, 2012 03:39pm

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZY0pOGP9d1c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/ZY0pOGP9d1c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 04, 2012 03:44pm

http://i.imgur.com/hTOCI.jpg

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 04, 2012 03:47pm

There was definitely helmet to helmet contact, although I'm not sure if that was the first contact. (My guess is that it wasn't.)

Texas Aggie Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39pm

This would be an easy call if the player were a defenseless player like a pass receiver, but he's not. By the current reading of the rule, this should not be called a foul. I suspect the NCAA will change the rule and make ALL targeting at the shoulders and above illegal (except maybe against the ball carrier) next year.

The current rule is that they can't target with the crown of the helmet and can't target above the shoulders against a defenseless player. Neither happened on this play and it was a clean block.

Players going from inside out should know they're going to get lit up.

Robert Goodman Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:38am

Penalized for too good a peel-back block! Maybe he wouldn't've drawn it if not for the arm flourish on the follow-thru.

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36am

I am not in love with this call at all. It does not look like a launch. It does not look like a direct head hit. It does not look like the player is defenseless. If any of those things took place than fine, but this is why I think the "call it no matter how close" is a bad thing. I get they are trying to take head hits out of the game, but sometimes close hits are legal.

Peace

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 865067)
I am not in love with this call at all. It does not look like a launch. It does not look like a direct head hit. It does not look like the player is defenseless. If any of those things took place than fine, but this is why I think the "call it no matter how close" is a bad thing. I get they are trying to take head hits out of the game, but sometimes close hits are legal.

Peace

Looking at the statistics for brain disease among football players, getting head hits out of the game is a good thing.

Robert Goodman Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 865070)
Looking at the statistics for brain disease among football players, getting head hits out of the game is a good thing.

However, for cases like this I think what you'd want is a collar that immobilizes the neck against forward, backward, or sideways flexion while sill allowing rotation of the head on it. Anyone propose such equipment for the game? Because that's the only thing that'd work here unless you outlawed all hits "above the numbers", which would give you a narrower strike zone than baseball.

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 865070)

Then you have missed the point. He could have gotten a head injury by falling, not the actual hit or contact with the blocker. But by rule this does not look illegal. That is the only point I am addressing. And if the hit was a little lower and in his chest, would be be having this conversation?

Peace

maven Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 865133)
But by rule this does not look illegal.

Which rule? The UNR rule prohibits unnecessary roughness. The game is moving in the direction of judging this hit unnecessary.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 865133)
Then you have missed the point. He could have gotten a head injury by falling, not the actual hit or contact with the blocker. But by rule this does not look illegal. That is the only point I am addressing. And if the hit was a little lower and in his chest, would be be having this conversation?

Peace

I haven't missed the point at all. Head hits will be out of the game. Maybe this call is a bad call today. But I don't think it will be for long.

The contact with the head did not occur because of a duck or a slide or other. This will be flagged more often as time goes on.

zm1283 Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 865137)
Which rule? The UNR rule prohibits unnecessary roughness. The game is moving in the direction of judging this hit unnecessary.

Why would this be unnecessary? The defensive player was chasing the ball carrier and had a realistic chance to make a play. If this is going to be illegal, I don't like the way football is headed.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 865137)

The phrase I like from CJ is "head or neck area". He wants the target area to be the torso with all contact there.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 05, 2012 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 865139)
Why would this be unnecessary? The defensive player was chasing the ball carrier and had a realistic chance to make a play. If this is going to be illegal, I don't like the way football is headed.

Ask someone of an older vintage about the game 50 years ago. They will undoubtedly tell you that the game isn't the same. The game has changed a lot since the 80s and even the 90s.

The law of conservation of momentum being what it is, players are more suspect to health issues because of today's game. And it has to be taken out.