The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Onside Kick?

What do they mean when they say onside kick? What is an offside Kick?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Season end quickly for you this year?

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
What do they mean when they say onside kick? What is an offside Kick?
The term came from rugby and means the receiver of the kick was behind the line where the ball was when it was kicked.

An offside kick occurs when a member of the kicking team is the first to possess the ball and that kicking team member was beyond the line where the ball was when it was kicked - this results in possession by the receiving team.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

Ask the coaches and common taters.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just happy no one said "onsides" or "offsides" in the thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:55pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I'm just happy no one said "onsides" or "offsides" in the thread.
That has become a bit grating to hear, I do admit.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

It's a term that's never appeared in the rule book, with two exceptions noted below, but was coaching shorthand to refer to the recovery of the ball by an onside player as explained by MD Longhorn upthread. The usage makes no sense when applied to free kicks as today, because if there are offside players of team K, the play's not going to stand up anyway. The term was most useful as applied to recovery by onside players of kicks during general play, as is still legal in Canadian football. In Canadian football rule books, there is one use of the phrase regarding responsibility of officials in "`onside kick' situations", recognizing it as a kind of coaching shorthand that officials would be expected to understand, even though not defined in the rule book.

Similarly, when, fairly recently, the NFL adopted different penalties for free kicks out of bounds under different circumstances, they differentiated between other kicks and an "onside kick", which appears to be implicitly defined (though I'm not sure it is) as one that doesn't go at any time more than 20 yards beyond the previous spot.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 03:19am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It's a term that's never appeared in the rule book, with two exceptions noted below, but was coaching shorthand to refer to the recovery of the ball by an onside player as explained by MD Longhorn upthread. The usage makes no sense when applied to free kicks as today, because if there are offside players of team K, the play's not going to stand up anyway. The term was most useful as applied to recovery by onside players of kicks during general play, as is still legal in Canadian football. In Canadian football rule books, there is one use of the phrase regarding responsibility of officials in "`onside kick' situations", recognizing it as a kind of coaching shorthand that officials would be expected to understand, even though not defined in the rule book.

Similarly, when, fairly recently, the NFL adopted different penalties for free kicks out of bounds under different circumstances, they differentiated between other kicks and an "onside kick", which appears to be implicitly defined (though I'm not sure it is) as one that doesn't go at any time more than 20 yards beyond the previous spot.
How 'bout dem Argonauts. Justin Bieber halftime was the best ever.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
How 'bout dem Argonauts. Justin Bieber halftime was the best ever.
Gordon Lightfoot did not disappoint. Living legend.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 08:59am
Chain of Fools

Yeah but they didn't book Rush!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Recent examples of "onside kick" in the original sense:

amateur

pro
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 07:12am

Quote:
Recent examples of "onside kick" in the original sense:

amateur
This is now called a return kick. The punter and players behind him are onside and can legally recover + advance.

Quote:
Just called a fake field goal. But the kicker and players behind him can recover + advance. In amateur ball, "downs continue" for Team A at Point Ball Dead because Team A was the first to legally touch the ball. In the CFL, they have a quirky rule that Team A gets a first down to matter what. Even though they were 2 yards short of the line to gain, their rule says 1D for Team A.

Notice the Referee properly read the play and move from his spot to watch roughing the kicker/holder to a spot to be in line with the kicker to judge on the legality of the 2 in-motion players' onside status. Great job by R#22!

LJ #29 throws the Restraining Zone flag as he does not know if those two players are onside. Once the crew shares all information, they pick up the flag and award Team A a new series.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 07:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Yeah but they didn't book Rush!
They'll be back...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
In amateur ball, "downs continue" for Team A at Point Ball Dead because Team A was the first to legally touch the ball. In the CFL, they have a quirky rule that Team A gets a first down to matter what.
The CFL's rule is older. CAFA changed it several years after a CIAU provincial championship in which, to get a 1st down, someone threw a swing pass to a WR who caught and tap-punted the ball across the neutral zone and fell on it. In effect, the old rule made everyone cover the wideouts closely enough to prevent that, regardless of the distance to the line-to-gain. But you'll notice that CAFA didn't change it immediately after that prominent use of the "quirky rule", but a long time later when they must've finally decided that was too cheap a way to get a 1st down.

The even older rule (American & Canadian) was that the continuity of downs was interrupted when the ball was kicked in such a way as to give the other team "fair and equal chance" to recover it.