The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Play for you (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92834-play-you.html)

Ref1973 Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:21pm

Play for you

NFHS: K punts from the 50, R21 muffs at the R 45. Kick rolls back to the K40, where K21 picks up the ball, then throws a forward pass to the R20 where it falls incomplete. What ya got?

Ref1973 Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:26pm

I'll just go ahead and say I have K 1/10 at the 50.

jchamp Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref1973 (Post 860974)
I'll just go ahead and say I have K 1/10 at the 50.

If it was 4th down, I would have R 1/10 at the 50.

jTheUmp Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:39pm

NFHS:
Kick ends behind the line of scrimmage, which means that anyone can pick up the ball and advance.

K's forward pass is legal, as it is the only forward pass thrown during the down, and it's thrown behind the LOS and prior to change of team possession.

Result of the play: incomplete forward pass.

If it's 4th down, it'll be 1st and 10 for R at the previous spot. If it's not 4th down, K puts the ball in play at the 50, down and distance as appropriate.

Ref1973 Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:43pm

Ok so you guys saying R's ball, how do you reconcile the fundamental statement:

When R is first to touch a scrimmage kick beyond the NZ, a new series is awarded to the team in possession at the end of the down.

mtn335 Fri Nov 02, 2012 02:49pm

1973 is right - K 1/10 at the 50.

NFHS 5-1-3: "When a scrimmage down ends with the ball in the field of play or out of bounds between the goal lines, a new series is awarded to: ...(f.) The team in possession at the end of the down, if R is the first to touch a scrimmage kick while it is beyond the expanded neutral zone, unless the penalty is accepted for a non post-scrimmage kick foul which occurred before the kick ended or unless 6-2-7 [scrimmage kick out of bounds not in possession, or in joint possession] applies."

NFHS 7-5-1: "It is a legal forward pass, if during a scrimmage down and before team possession has changed, a player of A throws the ball with both feet of the passer in or behind the neutral zone when the ball is released. Only one forward pass may be thrown during a down."

So the forward pass is legal (meets all requirements of 7-5-1: during a scrimmage down, no change of possession, thrown by A behind the neutral zone, first forward pass of the down).

Since the kick is touched by R 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage (thus beyond the expanded neutral zone), whoever recovers it will have a new series.

Adam Fri Nov 02, 2012 05:06pm

Change this slightly.

After K21 picks up the ball, he runs to the R45 where he throws an illegal forward pass that a) falls incomplete or b) is caught by K80 at the R25 where he is tackled.

REFANDUMP Fri Nov 02, 2012 05:27pm

I would say the ball would belong to K, 1st and 10 at their own 40 since a muff can only be recovered but not advanced. The ball would become dead once K recovered it.

Adam Fri Nov 02, 2012 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 860991)
I would say the ball would belong to K, 1st and 10 at their own 40 since a muff can only be recovered but not advanced. The ball would become dead once K recovered it.

Then that would be the case regardless of what K21 did, and nothing else matters.

maven Fri Nov 02, 2012 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 860990)
Change this slightly.

After K21 picks up the ball, he runs to the R45 where he throws an illegal forward pass that a) falls incomplete or b) is caught by K80 at the R25 where he is tackled.

So, to be clear, here's the new play:

NFHS: K punts from the 50, R21 muffs at the R 45. Kick rolls back to the K40, where K21 picks up the ball....runs to the R45 where he throws an illegal forward pass that a) falls incomplete or b) is caught by K80 at the R25 where he is tackled.

So the first half of the play is the same: K recovers a kick behind the NZ that R had touched beyond the NZ. So K will be awarded a new series at the end of the down.

The run is legal, but the forward pass beyond the NZ is not. IFP, enforced from the spot of the foul, 5 yards. K will still end up with 1/10 @ 50, clock on the snap.

The LOD provision of IFP lapses due to K being awarded a new series.

legend Sat Nov 03, 2012 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 861000)
So, to be clear, here's the new play:

NFHS: K punts from the 50, R21 muffs at the R 45. Kick rolls back to the K40, where K21 picks up the ball....runs to the R45 where he throws an illegal forward pass that a) falls incomplete or b) is caught by K80 at the R25 where he is tackled.

So the first half of the play is the same: K recovers a kick behind the NZ that R had touched beyond the NZ. So K will be awarded a new series at the end of the down.

The run is legal, but the forward pass beyond the NZ is not. IFP, enforced from the spot of the foul, 5 yards. K will still end up with 1/10 @ 50, clock on the snap.

The LOD provision of IFP lapses due to K being awarded a new series.

In the O.P. it was stated that k muffed the punt. I thought that a muff didn't make it a change of possossion. Am I wrong here? Please advise.

Robert Goodman Sat Nov 03, 2012 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 861014)
In the O.P. it was stated that k muffed the punt. I thought that a muff didn't make it a change of possossion. Am I wrong here? Please advise.

The only thing that would affect would be the clock status, and since it was an incomplete pass anyway, time is out until the ball is next put in play.

maven Sat Nov 03, 2012 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 861014)

R muffed the kick. By rule if R touches the kick beyond the NZ, the team in possession at the end of the down is awarded a new series.

legend Mon Nov 05, 2012 06:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 861044)
R muffed the kick. By rule if R touches the kick beyond the NZ, the team in possession at the end of the down is awarded a new series.

Not according to the book. This is told in 2 different ways. #1 would be NFHS Rule 2-27 (PG. 33). A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession. Or 2-34; Art. 3 (Pg. 36) A change of possession occurs when the opponent gains player possession during the down.

So according to these definations, the fact that R touches the ball or "muffs" it does not constitute a change of possession.

maven Mon Nov 05, 2012 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 861156)
Not according to the book. This is told in 2 different ways. #1 would be NFHS Rule 2-27 (PG. 33). A muff is the touching of a loose ball by a player in an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession. Or 2-34; Art. 3 (Pg. 36) A change of possession occurs when the opponent gains player possession during the down.

So according to these definations, the fact that R touches the ball or "muffs" it does not constitute a change of possession.

It has nothing to do with change of possession, so you're looking at the wrong rule. This is a rule specifically to do with scrimmage kicks. The proper rule is 5-1-3, quoted in post #6 above.