The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 03:32pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
For a 4-man or 5-man (or 6-man or 7-man) crew, the proper mechanic is to be on the passing arm side. Our keys don't change, after all.
"Proper" according to whom? (Our state gives the R the option to be on either side in 4 or 5-man.)

The number of times I have to rule on a QB's arm going forward (or not) in a season is very small. The number of times I can't judge that from the opposite side is miniscule, if ever. The key is to be deep enough initially, then move to get a good angle. This also allows the R to maintain his view of the off-side tackle.

In the play shown in the OP, the QB actually rolls past where I would initially be as the R, which would put me on his passing arm side when the ball is released. I'd be in good position to cover a sweep to the wide side, and be close enough to help on a run into the short sideline.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

What is your state? Honestly, in all my time doing this, today is the first I've heard of this not being universal.

That said, if being on the throwing side was not preferable and normal (here at least), and we were told to switch sides based on which hash the ball is on, I'd put the R on the SHORT side, not the wide side. For about 6 reasons.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
#70 reaches out and grabs the jersey up near the left shoulder of the defender, spins him, and takes him down.
After the word, jersey, you are 100% wrong. The defender was not restricted, and was going down anyway.

At this point in the game, you have to MAKE IT BIG, or ignore it. Call that on my crew and you won't be working in the playoffs with us.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
there are like 3 or 4 players all near the ball
I saw this too and its a very important observation: don't bail a team out when they have a chance to make a play and don't. This may not be absolute (15 yard "dangerous" foul, for example, happens), but if you think of it as a philosophy, you'll make better calls.

A similar scenario in basketball: player driving to the hole and is a bit ahead of himself. Loses his balance and throws up a prayer, then goes down. Sure, there was contact (can't really drive without contact) but he's out of control, and not due to the contact. Don't bail him out by calling a foul -- a shooting foul of all things.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

A hold is one where EVERYONE agrees it's a hold. It's those that cause your jaw to drop on what a player does. Did I say it has to be HUGE? If 100 people view a play and 99 think it's a hold. Guess what, it's not. I want my holding calls to have all 100 agree it's a hold. That's how big in needs to be. If you follow that philosophy you will achieve a great deal of consistency in your calls.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 01:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
"Proper" according to whom? (Our state gives the R the option to be on either side in 4 or 5-man.)
According to the NFHS and according to the Referee Mechanics guide I happen to have here.

First time I've heard of this option. I've never heard of it at other levels, either.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 05:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've got a hold. In the games that I work, this would be among the easiest calls of the night.

However, our mechanics would make it difficult to catch this. It would easiestly be called by the U or wing, though I bet the wing was had no view on this play. An experience R could catch this too.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

This was definately a hold. Would like to think I would catch it. My real question is with the play going to the U's right, why is he still in the middle of the field. There is no way he could see anything from that far away.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is it clear that this is a right handed QB? After all he does flip the ball in the air unorthodox on this play.

Peace
He sprints out left and has the ball gripped in his right hand to throw. It is definitely a RH quarterback.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I have always been told ANY
contact outside the FRAMEWORK of the Blocker's body is illegal.

b. Open hand technique. The hand(s) shall be:
1. In advance of the elbow.
2. Inside the frame of the blocker’s body; the frame of the blocker’s body
is the front of the body at or below the shoulders

SECTION 2 ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS AND HOLDING
ART. 1 . . . An offensive player (except the runner) shall not:
a. Use a blocking technique which is not permissible by rule. (See 2-3-2, 3)

PENALTY: Illegal use of hands or arms (Arts. 1a, 2, 3a, b, d) – (S42); interlocked
blocking (Art. 1b) – (S44); holding (Arts. 1c; 3c) – (S42) – 10 yards.

Last edited by bigjohn; Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 08:30am.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 08:41am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I have always been told ANY
contact outside the FRAMEWORK of the Blocker's body is illegal.
True. Using that technique makes a player liable for a flag. But it must also be near the point of attack and meet the other criteria for a blocking foul to be called.

And you know that, and wouldn't want your team flagged for a little jersey pull by a WR on the opposite side of the field from the play.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I know in our game friday night a hold just like that called a td back and we lost 29-28 but hey that is life in the big leagues. Left Guard.

Wish we had you guys at U friday night.

Waverly High School Boys Varsity Football - Highlight Videos, Schedule & Roster - Hudl

Last edited by bigjohn; Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 09:29am.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I guess I got my Holding call!!!
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:07am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I know in our game friday night a hold just like that called a td back and we lost 29-28 but hey that is life in the big leagues. Left Guard.

Wish we had you guys at U friday night.
That's a long shot, and it's not easy to see in the video what your lineman did. But of course on a pass play, interior linemen holding/restricting the defense IS at the point of attack, so assuming there was a hold it would be a good flag.

What's the issue?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with RadioBlue on this one. It looks to me like #70 pulled the jersey at the shoulder and twisted the defender away from the QB preventing him from making a play. Had I seen it I would have flagged it.

That being said, Bison is correct about who is going to see this one. This is a pretty long play with 22 players spread across the field. The LM, LJ and BJ are all focused on the players downfield and the R has to decide if the QB was down or not. I would be hardpressed to blame anyone if this call were missed.