The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Really, No Holding Call!!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92643-really-no-holding-call.html)

bigjohn Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10am

Really, No Holding Call!!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f9M6hOvunb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome play by the QB but this should have not counted. Blatant hold on #70!

Rich Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 858046)
Awesome play by the QB but this should have not counted. Blatant hold on #70!

You must be watching a different clip than I am.

MD Longhorn Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27am

Did you post the wrong video? I see no hold by number 70. In fact, I see no block by number 70. I do see him reach for a player and then fall near him as the QB throws the ball.

But nothing even remotely holding-like.

Sonofanump Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:31am

Hey that's Portage County. I would not have called that.

Welpe Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37am

Despite your yelling about it, that is not a foul.

Rich Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44am

I was more interested in looking to see if the passer was down before the ball was released.

MD Longhorn Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 858058)
I was more interested in looking to see if the passer was down before the ball was released.

I just did a frame by frame, and with the quality of the video, the money shot where the knee hits the ground has a blurry arm with at least 40 degrees of arc, and the ball coming out at some point during that arc. Impossible to judge with this video.

RadioBlue Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59am

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I agree with BigJohn. #70 reaches out and grabs the jersey up near the left shoulder of the defender, spins him, and takes him down. Without #70's actions, I think the defender gets there and disrupts this play.

JRutledge Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:00am

Anyone that calls that a hold will be working freshman ball for a lot longer than they want to.

Peace

bigjohn Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01am

#70, reached out, grabbed #54 and spun him halfway around. 54 would have sacked the QB had this not happened. Clearly IUH if not holding.

JRutledge Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 858064)
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think I agree with BigJohn. #70 reaches out and grabs the jersey up near the left shoulder of the defender, spins him, and takes him down. Without #70's actions, I think the defender gets there and disrupts this play.

And the defender is right there around the ball making a play on the ball handler despite the presence of #70. Not much of a hold or preventing a play to be made. It is only a hold when it prevents the player from making a normal play, not just because you attempt a hold. It is certainly bad technique, but not a successful attempt.

Peace

bigjohn Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08am

It is still a foul and should be penalized. The TD should not have stood.

JRutledge Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 858069)
It is still a foul and should be penalized. The TD should not have stood.

Aaaaaaaah, no it is not. If you are being held, you are prevented from going somewhere or some movement. This is the equivalent to calling a holding call on a player that either makes the tackle or the defense loses yards in the backfield on a play up the middle. For one it is very suspect by all accounts on the video and the defender beat the blocker despite any attempt to stop him from the ball carrier. Again, this would be a rookie call, not a call from an experienced official.

Peace

bisonlj Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:24am

I think JRut is being a little to passe about this one. It was a take-down at the point of attack by a blocker who was beat. It's hard to judge if the take down prevented the defender from making a play any sooner and preventing the "pass" from being made though. This one is tough. This is also a tough one to get. The R will be focused on the QB and the U's keys are spread out so he may or may not get a good look at this. Hard to say if someone saw this and passed on it or if nobody saw it.

Rich Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33am

It's easier to see the jersey grab in the replay (the second time they show the play), I'll grant that.

What bigjohn doesn't seem to grasp is that it's not simply a matter of seeing a jersey grab and throwing a flag. First of all, who's (in a 5-man crew) going to see this?

Furthermore, it's a split-second judgment in deciding if the grab/restrict affected the play. And that's not a clear-cut decision, either. Although I'm leaning towards what bisonlj said in his post above mine.

So much easier officiating from the sidelines, or so we're told every week.