The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
So much easier officiating from the sidelines, or so we're told every week.
Almost as easy as officiating from Bristol, CT.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Aaaaaaaah, no it is not. If you are being held, you are prevented from going somewhere or some movement. This is the equivalent to calling a holding call on a player that either makes the tackle or the defense loses yards in the backfield on a play up the middle. For one it is very suspect by all accounts on the video and the defender beat the blocker despite any attempt to stop him from the ball carrier. Again, this would be a rookie call, not a call from an experienced official.

Peace
On second look at the play, I'm not so sure. The defender may have been slowed a bit by the grab. If I see that, I would likely flag it.

Problem is, as a white hat I'm probably not going to see it - I got a QB being pressured by another defender and I have to rule on the pass. And the umpire may not get it, either -- and from his angle, it's probably not going to look like anything.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
On second look at the play, I'm not so sure. The defender may have been slowed a bit by the grab. If I see that, I would likely flag it.

Problem is, as a white hat I'm probably not going to see it - I got a QB being pressured by another defender and I have to rule on the pass. And the umpire may not get it, either -- and from his angle, it's probably not going to look like anything.
I saw the replay and there are like 3 or 4 players all near the ball. The defender does go around the blocker and runs into another player. That is why I am not calling a hold here and it does not seem like he was prevented from getting to the ball simply on the "grab" attempt alone. There is a reason we say "MIBT" and that was clearly not "there." I certainly see an attempt at a grab, but not an actual clear grab, not with several players around the ball.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone notice the Referee (White Hate) going to the wrong side of a right handed QB?

If he is on the correct side does he get a better look at the hold (or not a hold)?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to call a hold on the play...the defender #70 Holds would have made the tackle before the other defensive player hits the QB.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
It is still a foul and should be penalized. The TD should not have stood.
You've posted plays here before, and by and large get summarily told you are wrong, but usually you have a point of sorts. Your suggestions are wrong, but only due to lack of understanding, or improper connecting of two rules that weren't meant to be connected, or the exploiting of what you find to be a legitimate hole in the rules.

But on this one, sir... You are Dead Freaking Wrong. This one is not even remotely close. On the 0-100 scale, 0 being no contact at all, 100 being a WWF tackle, and anything over 50 being "flag it", this is a 4.

As it was explained to me on my very first day ... Grabbing a jersey is not holding. Grabbing a jersey and pulling with enough force to affect the defender --- THAT is holding.

This guy barely got jersey, and had ZERO effect on the player he barely touched.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy View Post
Did anyone notice the Referee (White Hate) going to the wrong side of a right handed QB?

If he is on the correct side does he get a better look at the hold (or not a hold)?
Is it clear that this is a right handed QB? After all he does flip the ball in the air unorthodox on this play.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You've posted plays here before, and by and large get summarily told you are wrong, but usually you have a point of sorts. Your suggestions are wrong, but only due to lack of understanding, or improper connecting of two rules that weren't meant to be connected, or the exploiting of what you find to be a legitimate hole in the rules.

But on this one, sir... You are Dead Freaking Wrong. This one is not even remotely close. On the 0-100 scale, 0 being no contact at all, 100 being a WWF tackle, and anything over 50 being "flag it", this is a 4.

As it was explained to me on my very first day ... Grabbing a jersey is not holding. Grabbing a jersey and pulling with enough force to affect the defender --- THAT is holding.

This guy barely got jersey, and had ZERO effect on the player he barely touched.
I will have to disagree with you 100% on this play..he grabs and pulls the jersey actually taking the defender to the ground...the defender had a good opportunity to make the play. HOLDING!
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Let the video play and watch the replay they show. Why does the defender go down? This, to me, is the real question -- is the grab the reason the player goes down or is it just him trying to get at the QB.

The grab happened SO LATE. And you're right -- I couldn't possibly care that he grabbed the jersey -- it's the restriction/takedown that could occur because of it that I'm looking for.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will have to disagree with you 100% on this play..he grabs and pulls the jersey actually taking the defender to the ground...the defender had a good opportunity to make the play. HOLDING!
There is no chance he took the defender to the ground. The defender was trying to turn toward the ballcarrier. If the blocker affected the player AT ALL (and I don't see that he does), it's in the direction of the ballcarrier. The defender goes to ground in effort to make the tackle as the runner goes by him.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:30pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:

Why do you think it's the "wrong" side? In a 5-man crew with the ball at the hash, I almost always "balance the field", regardless of the QB's throwing arm.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Why do you think it's the "wrong" side? In a 5-man crew with the ball at the hash, I almost always "balance the field", regardless of the QB's throwing arm.
For a 4-man or 5-man (or 6-man or 7-man) crew, the proper mechanic is to be on the passing arm side. Our keys don't change, after all.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Because that's not what you're supposed to do.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because that's not what you're supposed to do.
New in Ohio this year R is supposed to be on the wide side of the field no matter what hand the QB throws the ball with.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 01:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
New in Ohio this year R is supposed to be on the wide side of the field no matter what hand the QB throws the ball with.
That's idiotic, quite frankly. But it does explain why the R does what he does.