The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:33am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A Canadian defensive safety. I'll have to look that one up!
I watched some of a CFL game not long ago. My memory isn't too fresh, but I believe one team was down by one point, and was attempting a field goal, don't remember how long, but doesn't distance count as to the amount of points given. Let's cut back to the chase though. The kicking team missed the attempt, and defensive team had to run the missed kick out of the end zone (or the vast wasteland as I like to call it) to avoid the kicking team getting one point, and tying the score.

My details are sketchy at best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or even tell me if I got anything right......
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:50am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Apparently, you don't.
Oh dear. Wanna rethink that? 3 mistakes in that short a sentence. Impressive.
I was actually harking back to some old rules that were apparently in place back it the 60's. I was aware that Seattle didn't attempt a try after. I thought maybe it had changed when the NFL put in the two point conversion try, and/or overtime.

But then again they had the rule where you couldn't wear white tape to hold up the baseball leggings in which socks had to worn over the stirrups. They had to use what looked to be clear shipping tape to hold them up. What was that all about?

I don't know all the rules, but then again...........that's best reason I have to ask questions.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I thought Seattle did, in fact, kick the extra point in this game.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I thought Seattle did, in fact, kick the extra point in this game.
They did...after about the 5-7 minutes it took for the league representative to tell the officials the try had to be attempted and they had to get 11 players from Green Bay back on the field.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone notice that the replacement officials didn't have their position (SJ, U, etc.) on their shirt, but the regular ones do? I'm wondering if guys were moved around some and/or the regular guys are using last year's equipment.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Did anyone notice that the replacement officials didn't have their position (SJ, U, etc.) on their shirt, but the regular ones do? I'm wondering if guys were moved around some and/or the regular guys are using last year's equipment.
Mike Pierra answered this question a couple of weeks ago...they didn't have position letters exactly for the first reason you're thinking...officials weren't "locked" into a position and would allow the league to switch positions if need be.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Mike Pierra answered this question a couple of weeks ago...they didn't have position letters exactly for the first reason you're thinking...officials weren't "locked" into a position and would allow the league to switch positions if need be.
To add to this, when they were looking for the guys to work during the lockout, it was unclear what positions everyone had worked. So they did not initially give them positions on their back because they did not know if someone would had extensive Referee experience as opposed to wing experience. The Referee that worked the HOF Game was a Referee in D3 and a crew chief, but for the lack of a better description, might not have been the best suited for that position. The NFL kind of took the word of the officials background more than they should or really could in that short period of time. And when the officials went to the training initially, they did not keep everyone that attended.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 03:35pm
Chain of Fools

Jeff- did they submit any video of their work to the NFL during the hiring process? I can't imagine many or any were ever scouted at that level.
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 05:08pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I saw some rust on Mike Carey's crew at the St. Louis game today while I was in attendance...

Several dropped balls during tossing them to set for play.
Carey pointed the wrong way on penalties twice.
I thought there was two DPI calls that were missed (one for STL and one for SEA).
The umpire fell backing out for a punt formation.

Just a little rusty from what I saw. Nothing that can't be worked out in a couple weeks though!
Old Sun Sep 30, 2012, 10:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Jeff- did they submit any video of their work to the NFL during the hiring process? I can't imagine many or any were ever scouted at that level.
I do not think so, but then again many answered a "request" for officials to work these games. Some names were recommended by "scouts" that had some college experience that knew officials that might be willing to make that move. I do not know all the details, I just know guys in our area names were initially given to NFL people.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 10:06am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I saw some rust on Mike Carey's crew at the St. Louis game today while I was in attendance...

Several dropped balls during tossing them to set for play.
Carey pointed the wrong way on penalties twice.
I thought there was two DPI calls that were missed (one for STL and one for SEA).
The umpire fell backing out for a punt formation.

Just a little rusty from what I saw. Nothing that can't be worked out in a couple weeks though!
There were a number of gaffes over the first Sunday with the regulars that, had these calls been made by the replacements, the media would had renewed its feeding frenzy.

The biggest was the fumble by Sproles in the NO/GB game that could have victimized the Packers for the second straight week. It would have been interesting to hear the press conferences and read the tweets if GB hadn't come back to win that one.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
There were a number of gaffes over the first Sunday with the regulars that, had these calls been made by the replacements, the media would had renewed its feeding frenzy.

The biggest was the fumble by Sproles in the NO/GB game that could have victimized the Packers for the second straight week. It would have been interesting to hear the press conferences and read the tweets if GB hadn't come back to win that one.
Well, the mistakes were surely less.

Regarding GB, though, I watched that whole game - and wondered at BOTH of Green Bay's challenges. The first was as GB was driving in the 2nd. It was an incomplete pass - winning the challenge would have made it about 3rd and goal from the 5 or 6 rather than from the 12. So the reward was small - and the risk high, as it was rather clear to me it was incomplete. Whoever told him otherwise should be canned.

The second was early in the 3rd quarter, on a simple first down completion by New Orleans in the middle of the field. Yes - a successful challenge means NO has to punt, but still - medium reward, and high risk again, given it was their 2nd challenge and it looked to me to be obviously complete.

I honestly don't think Green Bay can ***** about the fumble given that they gave away their 2 challenges for nothing. Coaches forget these are limited and challenge stupid crap like these two plays. Save them for IMPORTANT challenges, and for goodness sake, get someone in your booth that has a clue and will tell you when a challenge is likely to be upheld.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I do think there was a bit of a double standard regarding the replacement officials. Everything they did wrong, they were crucified. In the games yesterday, the mistakes (real or perceived) of the "original" refs were pointed out and let go.

I do think there was a big difference in adminstration of a game, but the calls, at least from what I saw yesterday weren't much different.

Don't get me wrong, NOT critizing, just saying the reporting was different.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Well, the mistakes were surely less.

Regarding GB, though, I watched that whole game - and wondered at BOTH of Green Bay's challenges. The first was as GB was driving in the 2nd. It was an incomplete pass - winning the challenge would have made it about 3rd and goal from the 5 or 6 rather than from the 12. So the reward was small - and the risk high, as it was rather clear to me it was incomplete. Whoever told him otherwise should be canned.

The second was early in the 3rd quarter, on a simple first down completion by New Orleans in the middle of the field. Yes - a successful challenge means NO has to punt, but still - medium reward, and high risk again, given it was their 2nd challenge and it looked to me to be obviously complete.

I honestly don't think Green Bay can ***** about the fumble given that they gave away their 2 challenges for nothing. Coaches forget these are limited and challenge stupid crap like these two plays. Save them for IMPORTANT challenges, and for goodness sake, get someone in your booth that has a clue and will tell you when a challenge is likely to be upheld.
I think the first challenge was a bad challenge without a doubt. The second one not so bad, I would predict 75% of the time they would win that challenge, but not yesterday.

But regardless, when a ball carrier is standing up and fumbles and you rule down by contact, that is not a good call. Even if you accept the premise that GB f'd up on using their challenges, doesn't mean it wan't a bad call. Just as a team shouldn't blame an official for their mistake, an official shouldn't blame a team for his. ( I suspect the officials involved would take responsibility)

Also even if they had a reviewchallenge left, it would have been ruled a fumble, with no clear video evidence of recovery and NO would have kept the ball. So GB would have lost out either way.
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 11:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's a honeymoon. Should be over after tonight.