Thread: Lockout over!!!
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 01, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Well, the mistakes were surely less.

Regarding GB, though, I watched that whole game - and wondered at BOTH of Green Bay's challenges. The first was as GB was driving in the 2nd. It was an incomplete pass - winning the challenge would have made it about 3rd and goal from the 5 or 6 rather than from the 12. So the reward was small - and the risk high, as it was rather clear to me it was incomplete. Whoever told him otherwise should be canned.

The second was early in the 3rd quarter, on a simple first down completion by New Orleans in the middle of the field. Yes - a successful challenge means NO has to punt, but still - medium reward, and high risk again, given it was their 2nd challenge and it looked to me to be obviously complete.

I honestly don't think Green Bay can ***** about the fumble given that they gave away their 2 challenges for nothing. Coaches forget these are limited and challenge stupid crap like these two plays. Save them for IMPORTANT challenges, and for goodness sake, get someone in your booth that has a clue and will tell you when a challenge is likely to be upheld.
I think the first challenge was a bad challenge without a doubt. The second one not so bad, I would predict 75% of the time they would win that challenge, but not yesterday.

But regardless, when a ball carrier is standing up and fumbles and you rule down by contact, that is not a good call. Even if you accept the premise that GB f'd up on using their challenges, doesn't mean it wan't a bad call. Just as a team shouldn't blame an official for their mistake, an official shouldn't blame a team for his. ( I suspect the officials involved would take responsibility)

Also even if they had a reviewchallenge left, it would have been ruled a fumble, with no clear video evidence of recovery and NO would have kept the ball. So GB would have lost out either way.