The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 05:55am
Official & ***** Member

One of the complaints about the replacements was the length of games, which averaged 3:16. Last night's game went 3:15.

Guess they were right!
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
One of the complaints about the replacements was the length of games, which averaged 3:16. Last night's game went 3:15.

Guess they were right!
LOL...

Watching the game, though, didn't the flow just FEEL more like football than the past 3 weeks have? Flag, inform the ref, walk it off, move on... instead of Flag, doubt yourself, inform the ref, huddle with umpire, announce foul poorly, mispronounce team name, walk it off too far from wrong spot, talk with shady side official in black jacket, rewalk, discuss with umpire again, reannounce foul slightly less poorly, reset, forget to start clock, and move on.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 08:56am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I've read 3 or 4 news reports, and this is the gist: there is an agreement in principle, but not ratified. However, the lockout has been lifted (much like I predicted) and the regular officials are working tonight's game, as well as those this Sunday. Don't know about this weekend, but it appears the crew tonight was put together solely for this game.

I'm glad that the dispute has been largely settled and we will never see a controversial call in the NFL again.
I didn't watch the game, but I would have loved to have seen a play similiar to the one in Seattle on the last play. Wow, did you see the package they got. Not bad for a part-time job.

If the refs don't ratify that, they need to be locked out. I wonder if they got retro pay to boot.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 09:11am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
We should all thank Charles Barkley.
I would have liked to have a nickel for everytime Barkley said, "That's thurrebull", after the game.

I do have a question though. Years ago, the NFL made a team that scored a TD on the last play of game still attempt the extra point. I wonder if it had anything to do with the point spread or the over/under bets.

The end of the Green Bay/Seattle game would been even crazier if the Packers block the point after, and ran it back for the safety to tie the game.

But if I was the coach of the Seahawks, I would have gone for two, and took a knee. However the NFL didn't have the two point conversion rule back then, and the play was dead immediately after blocked kick.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I do have a question though.
Apparently, you don't.
Quote:
The end of the Green Bay/Seattle game would been even crazier if the Packers block the point after, and ran it back for the safety to tie the game.
Oh dear. Wanna rethink that? 3 mistakes in that short a sentence. Impressive.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would have liked to have a nickel for everytime Barkley said, "That's thurrebull", after the game.

I do have a question though. Years ago, the NFL made a team that scored a TD on the last play of game still attempt the extra point. I wonder if it had anything to do with the point spread or the over/under bets.

But if I was the coach of the Seahawks, I would have gone for two, and took a knee. However the NFL didn't have the two point conversion rule back then, and the play was dead immediately after blocked kick.
By NFL rule, if the last play in regulation is a touchdown, the try must be attempted. If this occurred in OT, the try is not attempted. Also, under NFL rules, the try is over as soon as the defense gains possession of the ball and the defense can not score during a try.

Basically, Seattle had absolutely nothing to worry about during the try.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL...

Watching the game, though, didn't the flow just FEEL more like football than the past 3 weeks have? Flag, inform the ref, walk it off, move on... instead of Flag, doubt yourself, inform the ref, huddle with umpire, announce foul poorly, mispronounce team name, walk it off too far from wrong spot, talk with shady side official in black jacket, rewalk, discuss with umpire again, reannounce foul slightly less poorly, reset, forget to start clock, and move on.
Agree...the flow to the game was infinitely better than the previous 3 weeks. And the mic work from the referee (Gene Steratore) was also infinitely better than just about everything during the past 3 weeks.

Talking about "shady side officials" it surprised me how many times the supposed league representative that was suppose to help with administrative issues gave flat out incorrect information to the replacement officials. I could count at least 3 times they caused/reenforced a rules misapplication.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:50am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
the mic work from the referee (Gene Steratore)
Lot of folks like Hochuli or Anderson. Steratore is my personal favorite. He just seems to look like he's about 3 seconds away from really just saying "ah screw it"
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
By NFL rule, if the last play in regulation is a touchdown, the try must be attempted. If this occurred in OT, the try is not attempted. Also, under NFL rules, the try is over as soon as the defense gains possession of the ball and the defense can not score during a try.
And even in the codes (NCAA and Canadian) that do allow the defense to score during a conversion, a "safety" is only worth one. To get two requires what would be a touchdown on a normal play.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 06:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Watching the game, though, didn't the flow just FEEL more like football than the past 3 weeks have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Agree...the flow to the game was infinitely better than the previous 3 weeks.
+1

The flow seemed infinitely better (IMO) even though the time apparently didn't reflect it.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 07:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpie View Post
And even in the codes (NCAA and Canadian) that do allow the defense to score during a conversion, a "safety" is only worth one. To get two requires what would be a touchdown on a normal play.
A Canadian defensive safety. I'll have to look that one up!
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Also deep in the playoff tiebreakers is point differential. So an extra point COULD theoretically be the difference between making the playoffs or not. However, since the CURRENT system for tiebreakers has been used it has never been used. I can only think of 1 time when it was used and that was in 1979 when Chicago got the 2nd NFC Wild Card berth by better net points in all games. Baiscally that was the point diffferential in all games thar year and the Bears won it by 4 points. On that day they were a -33 to the Redskins going into play but beat the Cardinals by 36 and Washington lost to Dallas by 1 for the finals differential.
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

I know college basketball officials are independent contractors. But college football officials work for a specific conference, so how come they are not unionized?
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 04:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I know college basketball officials are independent contractors. But college football officials work for a specific conference, so how come they are not unionized?
They are still independent contractors. They are paid like independent contractors and they are assigned games like independent contractors. They can be replaced anytime and often are replaced.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 29, 2012, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Its difficult to unionize when you have multiple employers. NFL officials can be hired and fired based solely on the discretion of the NFL, just like the control college conferences have. The difference is the multitude of college conferences on all levels of college basketball -- NCAA D1, 2, 3, NAIA, and Juco. There are officials who work all of those classifications (some even for both genders). Essentially, collective bargaining wouldn't work for the Big 10 solely (for example), and conferences colluding to bargain collectively would bring up sticky legal issues.