The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It's a possession issue, which is not reviewable.
But it is a scoring play. And all NFL scoring plays are reviewed. Now maybe Jansen can quote the rulebook for the NFL which he has done in the past, but they review all scoring plays to my understanding. I believe this would be reviewable in NCAA too. I will look up the later to be sure.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First of all the replay officials confirmed the call. Secondly a WH is a WH for a reason. They do not make many of those calls and he had not likely made those calls for several years. So yes I can take issue with his comments unless he gives an NFL difference in the rule. At the HS and NCAA level, that is a simultaneous catch based on the rules. You cannot intercept a ball in the air and then possession ends there. There were arms all over that ball and like someone else said, I could live with either call. But the Replay guys who are NFL guys from previous years made this call.

Peace
The replay guys are not part of the lockout? So these are the regular replay guys? So why did they not overrule the GB touchdown? When his foot was out of bounds before the ball crossed the line?

Rita

Not a football official.
Official Forum Member

From 2011 case book for NFL:

A.R. 8.28 NOT A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH First-and-10 on A20. A2 controls a pass in the air at the A40. B3 then also gets control of the ball before they land. As they land, A2 and B3 fall down to the ground. Ruling: A’s ball, first-and-10 on A40. Not a simultaneous catch as A2 gains control first and retains control.

A.R. 8.29 NOT A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH First-and-10 on A20. B3 controls a pass in the air at the A40 before A2, who then also controls the ball before they land. As they land, A2 and B3 fall down to the ground. Ruling: B’s ball, first-and-10 on A40. Not a simultaneous catch as B3 gains control first and retains control. (B
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But it is a scoring play. And all NFL scoring plays are reviewed. Now maybe Jansen can quote the rulebook for the NFL which he has done in the past, but they review all scoring plays to my understanding. I believe this would be reviewable in NCAA too. I will look up the later to be sure.

Peace
I believe you miss the point. Yes, the play is reviewable to see if the ball hit the ground, feet in bounds, etc; but you cannot review the who has possession part of the play as was ruled on the field.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Make no difference Jeff. Gerry Austin stated that possession is not reviewable, even during a scoring play. The officials ruled the receiver has possession, therefore the replay official has no other choice than to confirm he is in the EZ and it's a TD.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 11:52am.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
The replay guys are not part of the lockout? So these are the regular replay guys? So why did they not overrule the GB touchdown? When his foot was out of bounds before the ball crossed the line?
If you're talking about the Jennings play, the crew did.

The replay guys in the NFL don't have the final decision. The R is tasked with that decision after reviewing the available film and getting input from the booth.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 11:49pm.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Make no difference Jeff. Gerry Austin stated that possession is not reviewable, even during a scoring play. The officials ruled the receiver has possession, therefore the replay official has no other choice than to confirm he is in the EZ and it's a TD.
I see what you are saying.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texref View Post
From 2011 case book for NFL:

A.R. 8.28 NOT A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH First-and-10 on A20. A2 controls a pass in the air at the A40. B3 then also gets control of the ball before they land. As they land, A2 and B3 fall down to the ground. Ruling: A’s ball, first-and-10 on A40. Not a simultaneous catch as A2 gains control first and retains control.

A.R. 8.29 NOT A SIMULTANEOUS CATCH First-and-10 on A20. B3 controls a pass in the air at the A40 before A2, who then also controls the ball before they land. As they land, A2 and B3 fall down to the ground. Ruling: B’s ball, first-and-10 on A40. Not a simultaneous catch as B3 gains control first and retains control. (B
Was the play in question tonight not one of these two scenarios? Would the cases be handled differently in NCAA and NFHS?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Was the play in question tonight not one of these two scenarios? Would the cases be handled differently in NCAA and NFHS?
I don't ref football, but yes I believe that both of these case plays were the play tonight. Both say possession in the air. Not sure what I'm missing, but I think it should be an interception by rule. Hs and ncaa, I don't have a clue, like I said, not a fb ref.

Last edited by Texref; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01am.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
The top one is.

And not it would not be handled much differently other than the fact that in NCAA and NF the players do not have to get two feet down to establish control of some kind. Even in NCAA you have to complete the process of the catch and coming to the ground would matter with at least a foot.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Btw, here is a link to NFL rules and case book...

NFL.com Rulebook
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:17am
We don't rent pigs

Without being burdened by rules knowledge on the subject, NFL or any other level, here is what I saw: Packer defender went up and caught the ball at its highest point, gathering it to his chest with both arms locked tightly around it,
where it remained securely in this position until the defender landed on the ground. At around the same time, the receiver grabbed the ball with both hands, then briefly released with one hand to get a deeper hold with that hand and forearm as the pile went to the ground.

If, by rule, this is a touchdown, the rule sucks.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Without being burdened by rules knowledge on the subject, NFL or any other level, here is what I saw: Packer defender went up and caught the ball at its highest point, gathering it to his chest with both arms locked tightly around it,
where it remained securely in this position until the defender landed on the ground. At around the same time, the receiver grabbed the ball with both hands, then briefly released with one hand to get a deeper hold with that hand and forearm as the pile went to the ground.

If, by rule, this is a touchdown, the rule sucks.
The rule is in place so that we will not be splitting hairs over who had the ball first when they have not fulfilled other parts of the catch. I think the rule is fine, this was just on National TV and ESPN has their panties in a bunch over this call on their network (remember they get ratings buy ranting about this all day).

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The rule is in place so that we will not be splitting hairs over who had the ball first when they have not fulfilled other parts of the catch. I think the rule is fine, this was just on National TV and ESPN has their panties in a bunch over this call on their network (remember they get ratings buy ranting about this all day).

Peace
I know I'll be listening to music on the radio tomorrow.

But part of the problem is, whether this was the right call or not, the credibility of the officials has been destroyed over the last few weeks.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I know I'll be listening to music on the radio tomorrow.

But part of the problem is, whether this was the right call or not, the credibility of the officials has been destroyed over the last few weeks.
All the media has done a great job in making everything into a major case as if they would not complain otherwise. This is why these guys IMO should have never done this in the first place. The s**t storm is coming no matter what they do. And many of their careers will basically be over as they know it. That is OK for a guy or two that only did this at the very end of their career and had nothing to lose, but for those that still could work, now they will be marred with this crap for some time.

Peace