Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
From the US Copyright Office:

What is copyright infringement?
As a general matter, copyright infringement occurs when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

I do believe COPYING would be considered reproduction and providing said copies would be distributing.

Feel free to argue with the agency of the Federal gov't about their definition of what they do. Somehow, I won't be surprised.
But that applies only to works protected by copyright. Merely slapping a copyright notice on public domain material doesn't copyright it.

There is some original writing in the Fed rule book that they can protect by their copyright. The actual rules themselves, no. It's like with that Red Circle Media example I gave; about the only thing their copyright protects on their 80 yr. old movies is the notice saying it's copyrighted by Red Circle Media!
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 11:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
But that applies only to works protected by copyright. Merely slapping a copyright notice on public domain material doesn't copyright it.

There is some original writing in the Fed rule book that they can protect by their copyright. The actual rules themselves, no. It's like with that Red Circle Media example I gave; about the only thing their copyright protects on their 80 yr. old movies is the notice saying it's copyrighted by Red Circle Media!
Are you really arguing this? Seriously dude.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

He has argued it well for a while now and I applaud him. You can't make the rules of the game millions of kids play, illegal to copy. That is absurd.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:21am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
He has argued it well for a while now and I applaud him. You can't make the rules of the game millions of kids play, illegal to copy. That is absurd.
Actually you can if it is your publication.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Two choices- Join the Federation for $35.00 and have access via The Arbiter
or download the app from market fro $4.99.

Fed quit issuing pdf's due to copyright infringement.
I'm not sure why this particular myth keeps circulating. I can assure you that they are on the NFHS site and available to certain types of members.

Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 09:33am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I'm not sure why this particular myth keeps circulating
Maybe because they are the one perpetuating it?

Quote:
Resource Library
Welcome to the NFHS Resource Library. The section provides online access to various NFHS publications. Note: The NFHS Rules Books and Case Books are available for paid members of the NFHS professional associations and state association staff.

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open and view any PDF documents. Downloading and printing of this copyrighted material is prohibited. Click on the Acrobat Reader icon to download this free program.

Search
Find what you're looking for, enter your criteria below. Click on Advanced Search for more options.

Access Denied. You must be logged in and be a member of an NFHS Professional Association or state staff member. NOTE: As of January 2011 Members of the NFHS Officials Association are to gain access to the NFHS rules content via the NFHS/Arbiter hub. This area is located at the following URL...

http://nfhs.arbitersports.com

Note: The NFHS is moving away from making PDF files available online. This is due to the increased abuse of the copyrighted material. Far too many Local chapters and groups have been distributing the PDF versions online. As we move forward only online searchable versions will be made available.
I was able to access it until this year. Others that posted here and other boards lost access a year or two earlier.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 12:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I'm not sure why this particular myth keeps circulating. I can assure you that they are on the NFHS site and available to certain types of members.
Consider yourself fortunate then because for many NFHS Official's Association members, we can't access the PDFs.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Doesn't your access have something to do with your state being a full member or not? I do not know the answer to this, but my state dropped membership for their officials and we have had no access unless we individually pay for that membership.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 12:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Doesn't your access have something to do with your state being a full member or not? I do not know the answer to this, but my state dropped membership for their officials and we have had no access unless we individually pay for that membership.

Peace
That may be the difference. I'm not sure what access our state membership gives us.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:08pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That may be the difference. I'm not sure what access our state membership gives us.
You'd think that access to the rule book would be primary, wouldn't you?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you think every coach and official should have full access to the rules and case books??
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
In my state and sport, the only people who have access to the PDF rule books in the NFHS library are the people employed directly by the AA. Not even the state/local interpreters get these files.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't you think every coach and official should have full access to the rules and case books??
By "full access" you mean that someone else should pay for it?
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 01:51pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
You'd think that access to the rule book would be primary, wouldn't you?
Let's not start injecting common sense into this discussion.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Isn't that why they send out rulebooks and casebooks? Who says you need internet or computer access to that same book? How many books to you buy that allow you immediate access to that book online?

Peace
Closed Thread