The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Tips for a new Umpire

I started officiating tackle football last season as a LM, but have transitioned to U as our association is short of U's this season. So I am looking for tips/'things to look for' from those of you who have worked as a U.

I have noticed in the few scrimmages that I have had so far that it is a lot easier for me to pick up the run/pass blocks at the snap than when I was working as a LM.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Don't blow your wistle.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

rely on your keys

don't go fishing in other ponds...concentrate on your keys.....make sure the holding calls are ones that grandma in the top row sees right along with ya....most of all have fun and be safe
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Study the rules and know penalty enforcements.

Know the clock status and be prepared to remind your R.

Use your voice to control the action of players - let them know you're there and watching.

Hustle between plays, get the ball spotted and ready to go.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

1. Get out of the way.
2. Do not blow your whistle.
3. Keep a good supply of Snickers bars.

Is there anything else more important?

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Always position yourself so you can see the ball.
Drop your whistle after the snap.
Stay with your keys.
Learn the types of holding. This will allow you to better spot a hold.
Be a good dead ball official: Don't rush the pile unless there is a problem there. Stay back and have a better view of more players so you can catch any cheap stuff.
Know your rule enforcements as you and the R will be working together on this.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:33am
TODO: creative title here

Know the penalty enforcement procedures by heart.

You will almost never blow your whistle (I use mine MAYBE once a game); use your voice constantly, let the players know you're around. Short, simple phrases like "That's it" or "Play's over" or "easy up" will help you out tremendously.

Your white-hat is the captain of the crew, you're the executive officer. Your job is to make your white-hat look good. In pregame, ask him what you can do to help him out, and then do it.

When a runner comes straight at you, the worst thing you can do is move backwards (the runner will keep running right at you, because now you're lead-blocking for him). Learn to hold your position and make the runner move around you.

Invest in a couple of good knee braces.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
When a runner comes straight at you, the worst thing you can do is move backwards (the runner will keep running right at you, because now you're lead-blocking for him). Learn to hold your position and make the runner move around you.
My umpire says that he stays put when a running back is coming, because they know how to go around you.

When a QB is coming, he gets the hell out of the way!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 01:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post

Use your voice to control the action of players - let them know you're there and watching.
This is a big one and where the good Us stand out from the average. An umpire can have a big influence on the tempo of the game in the middle and by continually talking to the players, can head off what otherwise might be trouble.

Also accept the fact that at some point, you're going to get hit. It's the nature of the beast being in the middle.

I often joke that one of the jobs of the Umpire is to keep the Referee pointed in the right direction. You will be present for discussions regarding penalty enforcement options so you can have a hand in ensuring that the referee has the options correct.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Know the rules, old white hats once said the U should know the rules from front to back. That is why my goal is to one day be a back judge...........a waaaaaaaaaay baaccck judge.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

No one said it ... so:

Don't signal a touchdown. (The improbable exception to this likely lines up with the "don't blow your whistle" advise ... you MIGHT do both on a fumble play in the pile that you see an no one else does. But make sure the whistle and signal are slow on the trigger if you do).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

You have the greatest opportunity to impact the players. If something is going on with the defense, you have the period between downs to talk with players. If it's a blowout, you can keep players' heads in the game. Can't tell you how many volatile playoff games I've been involved in where I had an opportunity to talk to the team that was winning and remind them that they needed to keep their cool, since they would be playing next week.

Don't walk off penalties yard by yard. For example, walk the first yard, jog the next 8 yards and step the final yard for a 10 yarder. Looks more professional than taking 10 steps.

Yes, they teach you to stand still when a runner is coming at you but it doesn't always work. If I know I'm in the way and I have time, I'll move toward the LOS away from where the hole appears to be. Be ready to use your forearms to "block" runners away from you if necessary.

In 8 seasons, I've only gone down one time and I've helped up more than my share of DBs who didn't see the wall (me) that they ran into.

BTW, linebackers are big and dumb and they will step on your feet. What makes it worse is they're usually pivoting when they do it. OUCH.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Aug 08, 2012 at 08:29pm.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Become very familiar with the free blocking zone and the rules associated with it. What lineman can do in this zone vary (i.e. clipping, block below the waist, block in the back). The thing I have to explain most to linemen is what they can and can't do when their QB is in shot gun.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes, they teach you to stand still when a runner is coming at you but it doesn't always work. If I know I'm in the way and I have time, I'll move toward the LOS away from where the hole appears to be. Be ready to use your forearms to "block" runners away from you if necessary.

In 8 seasons, I've only gone down one time and I've helped up more than my share of DBs who didn't see the wall (me) that they ran into.
And if you're unlucky, like me, you might even get credited for a tackle or two throughout the season. One incident that I'll always remember is a full back screen that I read just a tad too late. I got to the LOS just as he caught the ball and turned into me. I put my arms up to keep him from killing me and we got hooked together. I got a free ride with the pile and some sore ribs for my trouble.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
3. Keep a good supply of Snickers bars.
Why the Snickers bars?