The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I will be soon moving to another town, and was wondering if anyone here has any tips for me to make the transition to a new area easier - from a refereeing perspective.

Obviously I will have to deal with new players, partners, coachers, administrators, a new stadium, etc. Any ideas from your own experiences that might make this transistion as painless and stress freee as possible?

Cheers

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Duane,

I've not had to do this personally, although there is the distinct possibility that I might have to next season. I have only heard stories from other guys who have transferred. Unfortunately, all their stories are rather negative. The main problems are getting assignments in a new area. If nobody knows you there, nobody wants to give you games. I hope it goes smoothly for you, tho. Good luck

Chuck
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck, that is one of my main concerns. As an assignor I know how reluctant I have been to put "new" referees on games. Hopefully this is an area that is desperate for refs.....

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

There are a few things you can do to help pave the way. If you are in an association, get the board secretary to write a letter stating that you are a member in good standing, and for how many years. Devise a resume that relates to your basketball experience; number of years refereeing, levels you work, clinics or camps attended, board(s) you are a member of, and a few references (assignors/board officers) who can give you a good word if called (or you may get a few letters of recommendation to attach).

Contact the State HS Athletic Association where you are relocating to. You can get the names/numbers/addresses of the assignors in that area (or the boards who assign). Write a short letter stating your plans to relocate, and that you hope to referee games. Be sure to include your phone numbers and e-mail address. Attach your resume and letters and mail them off. Make follow up phone calls a week or so later. Depending on the response you get, and your experience level, you may suggest that you are willing to be observed reffing a rec game, or middle school/Fr game to show your abilities.

These are just a few ideas I think I would try if I were moving. Others may have more suggestions. Good Luck!
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 07:48pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Guessing here:
  • Keep it polite
  • Keep it humble

Good luck!
    mick
    Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 07:11am
    Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Here is what I did.

Use the phone, email or internet to find out as much information you can to know who to contact in your new area. Ask the officials you come in contact about everything you thinn you need to know. Ask about "how they get assignment?" Ask about "what do they expect for me to move up?" Ask anything you find is important to you. Because if you can, you might need to find out that going to camps will help you. You might find out that a resume might be helpful, or just a recommendation from your previous place of residence.

Basically talk to as many people as you can. The more you find out from people the easier your transition will get. But if you can find out information that might be availible to the public thur email and the internet, that would be golden.

Peace
    Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 07:20am
    Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I almost forgot.

Be very, very honest about your experience or levels you have done. This will give the right people the right information to know what to expect from you. Never headge or exaggerate your experience, they will and probably will find out the truth. People have contacts all over the place. Not to say you would do that, but if you did only rec. leagues, tell them that. You want to start out with credibility.

Peace
    Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 04:47pm
    Official Forum Member

I have sent two of my sons off to college with much advice. First and foremost: dont believe what you hear from students. Same goes for officiating. Dont believe what other officials tell you. While they might be well-intentioned (but maybe not!) get verification of anything you hear. And regardless of your experience and level, find out who the top dogs are and ask one to mentor you. Make sure he/she is highly regarded within the new association and make your intentions clear.

Take any and every assignment you can (within reason) and always complement your partner (great call! nice game! etc) Lastly, hope and pray for good luck and/or a break.
    Old Tue Sep 17, 2002, 04:59pm
    Official Forum Member

In my area, we have one person making assignments for the association. When a new official joins the chapter our assignment secretary ask if he is transferring from another area (he also makes periodic announcements to new officials to let him know). If you are transferring, he says he makes a point of going watch you work in a camp or at an early season game to evaluate you "skill level". If he thinks you are ready he will give you the upper level games. Sounds like he has a fair system. Hopefully you are going to an area where assignors are of like philosophy.

We have a new official this year that claims he has 12 years experience in another state. I will let you know if the assignment sec. follows his stated program.