The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
Cool Tips for New Ref?

Well, I found this forum and I was glad I found it. I love this. My name is Luke and I am 16. I am not an OFFICIAL referee due to my age, have to be 18.

Anyway, I am allowed to do any scrimmages, community leagues, etc. Just not actual games.

Anyway, I have been doing community leagues, like the YMCA for three years now and I am loving refereeing more and more everyday. I was wondering though, if you guys had any pointers, suggestions, tips, etc to help me become better so when I start out, I can get noticed by the official board and start getting more games?!?!

Let me know,

Thanks.
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBSports
Well, I found this forum and I was glad I found it. I love this. My name is Luke and I am 16. I am not an OFFICIAL referee due to my age, have to be 18.

Anyway, I am allowed to do any scrimmages, community leagues, etc. Just not actual games.

Anyway, I have been doing community leagues, like the YMCA for three years now and I am loving refereeing more and more everyday. I was wondering though, if you guys had any pointers, suggestions, tips, etc to help me become better so when I start out, I can get noticed by the official board and start getting more games?!?!

Let me know,

Thanks.
Invest in a rule book and frequent this board often.

These are a few tips I have learned since I became a member:
Do not purchase a shirt with a collar.
Always tuck your whistle when you pee.
Develop thick skin

Welcome aboard
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Let me know,

Thanks.
Luke,

I gotta tell ya, I'm jealous! By the time you're 35 you'll own the world as far as reffing goes. You are smart beyond your years for knowing that this place will help you to grow. Disregard alot of the silliness we post but retain the rules knowledge and game situations that a few of the 'elders' can pass on to you.

Be a sponge and work, work, work. Hopefully you can find a mentor, an official that can help you as you grow. When you are able to, go to camps to learn and soak everything in. My biggest regret is that I got into this great avocation late. I've always been a gym rat, basketball junkie, my whole life and finally figured out that officiating is my passion.

Good luck and have a ball.

I look forward to seeing you doing the Final Four in 20 years
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Go and pick out one or two things to work on each game. Other than that, order NFHS rule/case/officials manuals. And always remember to bring two of everything
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Luke,

I gotta tell ya, I'm jealous! By the time you're 35 you'll own the world as far as reffing goes. You are smart beyond your years for knowing that this place will help you to grow. Disregard alot of the silliness we post but retain the rules knowledge and game situations that a few of the 'elders' can pass on to you.

Be a sponge and work, work, work. Hopefully you can find a mentor, an official that can help you as you grow. When you are able to, go to camps to learn and soak everything in. My biggest regret is that I got into this great avocation late. I've always been a gym rat, basketball junkie, my whole life and finally figured out that officiating is my passion.

Good luck and have a ball.

I look forward to seeing you doing the Final Four in 20 years
Thanks, I have been getting the rule/case/handguide books for the last five years. My dad just went back into refereeing again, but he just does it for the little extra cash. As for me, I would do all my games for free if I didn't have bills to pay for. I dunno, I may just stay with my parents for the rest of my life!

I have been looking into camps and have actually 'attended' at one. I couldn't do anything but watch; but still then, i learned a lot. it really kills me sitting on the bench (BTW I am the school student athletic trainer) watching the games. I mostly just watch the 'Center' position and watch the officials more than i do the game. Now the coaches always go to me for the rules.

I have a referee jersey without a color and I have official shoes. I am not getting the pants yet because I figure I will grow by the time I am 18 and don't want to spend a lot of $$ for something that I will outgrow soon. But I do wear black shorts or black sweetpants when doing my community leagues.

I also have ordered this killer program for my computer that has the questions and review questions for the test. It's pretty cool. I believe its from the NFHS.

Thanks

Last edited by RCBSports; Tue Jan 15, 2008 at 11:45pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Best things you can start doing now is developing good habits.

1) Hustle
2) Know your coverage areas and responsibilities as lead or trail and work on those
3) GOOD MECHANICS
4) Remember that sometimes the competitive juices get flowing and players and coaches sometimes get ticked in the heat of the moment so don't have too quick of a trigger in the rec leagues and such. I had a hair trigger when I started at 18. On the other hand, don't let anyone undermine you or do/say anything that crosses the line.

Just work hard, study whenever possible (i keep a set of books in the bathroom ), have thick skin, a patient whistle and a short memory if you mess up a call. Just move on and learn from your mistakes. Oh and one more thing, if you see something and you're not 100% sure of the rule, don't make the call.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:

Let me know,

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Luke
Just a tip from another young ref (I'm 16 as well, started calling games when I was 13...).
There are loads of stuff you can say about being a ref but I picked one (wich I think is one of the things I try to keep to).
Never stop learning. The best thing is to try and get a mentor (en excperienced official who can help you out). Then when ever you see something, no matter when, if you're playing, refeering, spectating, watching a game on tv. Think about it, if it is a weird situation how would you handle it. And if you find a referee you think looks great, why does he look great? Good calls, good mechanics?
Keep your eyes open, but when you're on the court, you're the referee, don't be afraid to T up a coach 20 years older then you. It's all part of the job (and you will get used to it if you havn't done it already)
Good luck with your games
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 01:18pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Just a couple of things that I'd like to echo. Somebody mentioned working on mechanics. I agree with this completely. Practice in the mirror. It kind of feels silly at first, but by using the mirror you can see if your arm is really straight up, and if your signals are visible to somebody at the table, etc. The mirror is a really helpful tool.

Also, get a good uniform. Get solid black shoes and get good quality beltless pants. Don't try to save money by using an old shirt with a collar or something like that. Your appearance is important, because it's the first impression that you present. If you look like a slob who doesn't care, then the coaches will assume that's what you are. If you look sharp, at least you look like you know what you're doing.

You said that you've been getting rulebooks for a few years, and that's awesome. Make sure you study hard and ask your dad questions. Study the casebook, too, because some of the confusing rules are easier to understand after you've read the plays that go along with them.

Work lots of games, and work them hard. Hustle because you never know who's watching!!

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
Welcome to the forum Luke
Just a tip from another young ref (I'm 16 as well, started calling games when I was 13...).
There are loads of stuff you can say about being a ref but I picked one (wich I think is one of the things I try to keep to).
Never stop learning. The best thing is to try and get a mentor (en excperienced official who can help you out). Then when ever you see something, no matter when, if you're playing, refeering, spectating, watching a game on tv. Think about it, if it is a weird situation how would you handle it. And if you find a referee you think looks great, why does he look great? Good calls, good mechanics?
Keep your eyes open, but when you're on the court, you're the referee, don't be afraid to T up a coach 20 years older then you. It's all part of the job (and you will get used to it if you havn't done it already)
Good luck with your games

Sweet, I am not alone. Yes, I have quite a few referee who I talk to. Most of the WVSSAC and the Mon Valley board knows me. Some even say they wish I was 18 already. They said they are sick and tired of my hanging out in the official room and wish I was there to be a ref. Even a few of them have came to a few of my rec games and give suggestions on how to improve, which is what I ask for.

Some refs think they are the **** and they don't need improvement. I was in the official room when the board evaluator came in and told this one ref to be more bold and he basically had that attitude of yeah right, whatever. But I sat there and listen to what he had to say. I learned from it and after the game, the evaluator came in and told me that I had something on my face, like a curious look. Then we sat down and talked for a good bit about what was on my mind and talked forever about refereeing and how I can become better.

-Lucas
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 04:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You might see if you can audit the class next fall. Check with an official to see about who to contact. Then when you take the class at age 18 you will have it as mostly review.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 05:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
These are a few tips I have learned since I became a member: Always tuck your whistle when you pee.
It's nice to know I'm finally getting through to you guys.