The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
Not trying to argue here, just remembering how in years past how the general public has wanted to hang the crews that "caused their team to lose" and that the NFL should "fire" all the officials and start over. Now that their wishes are partially coming true for the moment we'll see how they like it. Their are mixed opinions on all the fan boards. Some are welcoming the "new blood".
That is fine that they want new blood and I am not saying that fans love officials. But the mistakes that are made are often procedural rather than judgment. Not many times did NFL officials not enforce a penalty from the proper spot. Or award timeouts that were not there. Or the ball is put in the wrong spot by several yards. Those are different than missing a PI or not calling a holding here or there. Heck this weekend the officials picked up a flag on a clear BIB. We all make mistakes and if you saw my game this weekend we had a doozy, but my situation was not on national TV either.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is fine that they want new blood and I am not saying that fans love officials. But the mistakes that are made are often procedural rather than judgment. Not many times did NFL officials not enforce a penalty from the proper spot. Or award timeouts that were not there. Or the ball is put in the wrong spot by several yards. Those are different than missing a PI or not calling a holding here or there. Heck this weekend the officials picked up a flag on a clear BIB. We all make mistakes and if you saw my game this weekend we had a doozy, but my situation was not on national TV either.

Peace
I think that's why the NFLRA is in trouble here. They aren't making many judgment errors. Procedural errors will go away far faster than judgment errors. I think the NFLRA is within a week or two of being replaced permanently.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 08:33am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I think that's why the NFLRA is in trouble here. They aren't making many judgment errors. Procedural errors will go away far faster than judgment errors. I think the NFLRA is within a week or two of being replaced permanently.
I definitely wouldn't say a week or two. However, I would say if this goes to a half-season, then things may change away from the RA's favour.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

A week or two is way too soon, but if things go pretty much like they did this past weekend, the NFL is not going to be in a hurry to renegotiate, unlike what many have predicted.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
A week or two is way too soon, but if things go pretty much like they did this past weekend, the NFL is not going to be in a hurry to renegotiate, unlike what many have predicted.
I am not so sure about that, because every mistake is highlighted more. With that being the case, it was not predicted that this would end for several weeks anyway. Thank God no game's outcome has become a factor yet. There are 100 NFL shows that will dissect every mistake even if it is not a real mistake.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well there were more PI calls in this past week than the first weeks of the last two years. Some were totally considered wrong or had no contact. And that flag on the BIB a bad pick up even at the college ranks. And football is mostly procedural anyway. This is not a sport with all judgments. We make judgments and we have to get the other things right. And they are not going to replace the current guys with these guys, even in the worst case scenario. Do not fool yourself, this is not MLB or that situation.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 02:44pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And they are not going to replace the current guys with these guys, even in the worst case scenario. Do not fool yourself, this is not MLB or that situation.
See: PATCO strike, 1981.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 02:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
See: PATCO strike, 1981.
Not in the same ballpark. One is a government service, the other is a business. There is much more PR to what the NFL does and if you have guys and gals working games that have never worked a D1 game, that is a harder sell to the public when they screw up. And if a team loses a game because of a suspected bad call, that will hurt the NFL more than what happen in that strike or situation.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Over / Under 5 weeks

I am taking the over at this point.....The league wants to prove a point and unless the their is a MAJOR screw-up, the league will win the p.r battle with the public and the public will agree that their is no difference between the current guys and the "real" guys...... (proving what little they know)

However - as officials, I think it is fair to say that 90% of us want the "real" guys back !!!!!

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Wed Sep 12, 2012 at 01:37pm.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... They aren't making many judgment errors...
Not what this idiot thinks......

Here Are The 21 Worst Replacement Referee Mistakes From Sunday
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Whoever edits the side panel of those examples has a pretty good sense of humor. I was laughing at quite a few...whether this guy knew what he was writing about or not.

I was at the Packers/Niners game and saw the helmet toss by Smith after he had it part way removed by Rodgers' cleats from my seat...and then watched it at home on the DVR probably a dozen times. He took the helmet off the remaining 3/4's of the way and tossed it with both hands. Clear show boating. There was nothing wrong with that call....and that was exactly why that was made an infraction in the first place. Pull your damn helmet back down onto your head and play football.

Which leads me to another train of thought. If the NFL is really dead serious about the concussion issues and head safety in the game, why is it not mandated top to bottom for every player on the field to have all 4 points (2 for those with 2) of their chin strap fastened? Neon Deion started it and it still hasn't gone away.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4 of those are bad. Most are the rest are judgement on borderline plays. A couple are embarrasing or dumb, but not egregious.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Same story different season. No official is perfect and being that a good part of those calls are judgement, we can probably have this same list continue if the "regulars" come back.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2012, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. Right on the incomplete pass/fumble border. That the player was hurt, is what we call "playing football". You take your risks.

2. I can agree. B player runs right over A player in the end zone.

3. Looks like a good offsides call to me.

4. I can agree from my angle, but I also see where the game-speed hit would look illegal.

5. Legitimate complaint, but hardly worth getting upset over.

6. I can't tell if the player returned with just this camera angle. You need to look down the LOS to know.

7. The author mis-describes the play, but he is right that it shouldn't take 6 minutes to decide if the play can be challenged.

8. If it wasn't corrected, this would be pretty bad in the game management category. I didn't see the game, but I hope they fixed their error.

9. I can't tell with certainty from this angle if he was offsides. It's also poor management from the QB to take risks if you don't see a flag thrown.

10. I can see where the covering official would see that as a hook by the B player, and possibly playing through A's head.

11. DPI looks like a push at full-speed. I may have called it, too.

12. Legitimate. Looks like this crew wasn't used to the scrutiny that 1080p cameras will bring to your spots.

13. I'm not read up on the OPI rules for passes that don't travel beyond the neutral zone in NFL. They could be correct, but I'll have to reserve judgment. It is a low block, also, which may be a foul.

14. The lineman IS 2 yards past the LOS. The U was slow to move into position and stops about a foot in front of the position the lineman stops at, meaning they could both think everything is fine.

15. Yeah, bad. Correct number, wrong color. (IBB called on SF, was GB)

16. Doesn't even seem like the kind of play they want you to call the USC on.

17. I don't know who DPI went against, but I can see charging it to B31.

18. I'll buy that false start. I wish the author would show us the other three. If they're not just as convincing, I'd shut my pie-hole.

19. Should A have to wait for U to set up when they can't see him? But the B player on the field should have been caught.

20. Game management issue. There is a booth crew to charge this one too, as well.

21. Another game management issue that shouldn't have happened.

So is the NFL going to provide some more remedial training, or are they simply going to let all their fans sulk all year long?

They're a lot better than I would be if they had called me up in July with a "Guess what?"
Old Thu Sep 13, 2012, 06:50am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
of their chin strap fastened? Neon Deion started it and it still hasn't gone away
Au contraire!