The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can thank Texas for that
I don't think Texas was alone in having this issue.

For those that don't know, Texas apparently commissioned Honigs and other equipment suppliers to come up with a new short -- one with a white stripe down the sides like the pants. it wasn't a fashion statement -- it was because there was no "uniform" all black short being worn. A lot of guys were wearing long, basketball style shorts that don't really look good on the field and, regardless of looks, created uniformity problems among the officials working.

I don't think Texas is alone on this issue, its just that they are the first state to change a design because of it. But then, others may have thought about it as well, so if someone outside of Texas is claiming ownership of the idea, fine. I don't particularly like the design, but I understand the goal and agree with it if it can help us get shorts on subvarsity games early in the year.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

It's funny that the "basketball shorts" was one of the reasons given for the new design. Well wouldn't you know it, about a week after I bought my new football shorts, I found an almost dead ringer in design but they were sweat shorts. Pockets, white stripe along the sides but a draw string instead of belt loops.

In other words, "Good luck with that."
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's funny that the "basketball shorts" was one of the reasons given for the new design. Well wouldn't you know it, about a week after I bought my new football shorts, I found an almost dead ringer in design but they were sweat shorts. Pockets, white stripe along the sides but a draw string instead of belt loops.

In other words, "Good luck with that."
I have never worn any basketball short that looks anything like the style these football shorts look like. I would not wear any such thing as a basketball official either. You would look like a clown if you did come to games looking like that in summer basketball. Just sayin.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Jeff, not basketball officiating shorts but shorts worn while playing basketball aka sweat shorts.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Jeff, not basketball officiating shorts but shorts worn while playing basketball aka sweat shorts.
The same shorts I wear officiating are the same shorts I would wear playing. Those shorts just created look like neither.

That is unless you look like the dude in the gym that cannot play basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 01:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The same shorts I wear officiating are the same shorts I would wear playing. Those shorts just created look like neither.
So just because you don't means nobody else wears them? Stop being obtuse. The point is that sweat shorts were found that had pockets and white stripes and could easily be worn to look like the new football shorts that were just released to combat the problem of officials wearing sweat shorts.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So just because you don't means nobody else wears them? Stop being obtuse. The point is that sweat shorts were found that had pockets and white stripes and could easily be worn to look like the new football shorts that were just released to combat the problem of officials wearing sweat shorts.
First of all there was a lot of sarcasm in my comments. I was being silly to make a larger point. Stop taking yourself and this discussion so seriously.

The reality is that these shorts look almost nothing like what an athletic person would wear or someone that has never been athletic. They look like coach’s shorts that look kind of silly and nonathletic to begin with.

And if you want to know the truth, I would never wear any shorts for a HS level game of any kind. This is not an issue for me at all. And I belong to a crew that never would and never has worn shorts for regular season games. If I wore shorts at all it would be the Pop Warner, Bill George type of games and early in the year when it is really hot. And for the record the shorts are the same shorts I would wear officiating basketball, the type I bought at Athletic Stores that you would buy to play basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
[QUOTE=D Ray;849748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well in your situation I would understand you holding on to them. But we made a crew decision and we do not wear them anymore. Also I hated the socks and trying to hold them up. That alone was worth getting rid of silly looking pants.

The whole fashion arc for officials is somewhat interesting to track. All black stirrups, to striped stirrups, to one piece socks. Baseball certainly has many more fashion changes over the past 50+ years.
I recall the switch in lacrosse in the early 90's. We wore football knickers in foul weather. Not bad when it was cold, but not much help in the rain. At that time we went to an all black "rain" pants. Looked odd, but certainly a better tool for the conditions.
I like the pants for foul weather in football too, but the bright white knickers on a crisp fall evening just scream FOOTBALL! Of course the dingy yellow knickers on a freezing, rainy, muddy night screamed OLD SKOOL
I am on a crew that is clinging desperately to the white knickers. I had to beg and plead to wear the black pants for just one game last year. And this is with 3 guys working small college ball and already wearing the black pants on Saturdays. They think it is as you say, truly football to wear the knickers.

I hate the striped socks, hate knickers, think the black pants look good and feel good. I can only hope Illinois makes the move to dropping kickers all together!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE=stevegarbs;849813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Ray View Post

I am on a crew that is clinging desperately to the white knickers. I had to beg and plead to wear the black pants for just one game last year. And this is with 3 guys working small college ball and already wearing the black pants on Saturdays. They think it is as you say, truly football to wear the knickers.

I hate the striped socks, hate knickers, think the black pants look good and feel good. I can only hope Illinois makes the move to dropping kickers all together!
Out of the 8 State Final crews, only 1 crew wore knickers last year. Maybe you just need to get on a different crew.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
[QUOTE=JRutledge;849818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post

Out of the 8 State Final crews, only 1 crew wore knickers last year. Maybe you just need to get on a different crew.

Peace
Trust me, Rut, I was texting them at the start of each final game with a report on what the crews were wearing. These guys are so old school, they would rather wear the old jockey caps and throw red flags...

But they are a solid crew with a total of 8 finals under the belts already. I can't do better!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post

Trust me, Rut, I was texting them at the start of each final game with a report on what the crews were wearing. These guys are so old school, they would rather wear the old jockey caps and throw red flags...

But they are a solid crew with a total of 8 finals under the belts already. I can't do better!
I was joking about the getting a different crew. I am sure the crew is fine. I just find it funny when guys cannot change. The pants always looked stupid to me and I am glad they opportunity to wear something else took place. I am also glad that when this decision was made by the IHSA to allow us to wear black pants, my crew did not hesitate one bit and decided the change was best.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Still an option in ND. Our association just sent out an email stating that black pants only at all levels.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Two years ago NC wore black pants starting in October. Last season we eliminated knickers in our association. I'm not sure if all 9 groups have totally eliminated them yet.
Our local association eliminated them at our opening clinic two days ago. I had co mplained to the assignor that too many uniform options are expensive. "Let's simplify this thing."

Black shorts for JV and lower as a heat option. Otherwise, black pants.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 25, 2012, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Unfortunately, the State of Iowa still says that black pants are for foul weather games only. I just wish that those making the decision would pay attention to what the other states are doing, and what the officials are actually wearing no matter what the conditions are.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

In house cleaning over Christmas, I tossed all knickers, including a brand new, never worn, pair. Socks too. If I ever move to Iowa, I guess I'll only work foul weather games!