The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 07:01am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
The next project is to get 2" stripes OK'd for HS.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stripes we wear in HS now. I know you Texas guys are NCAA rules and that's fine but I'm sick and tired of having to buy new crap just because the college level guys are switching to blue bean bags nee' black, wider stripes, etc.

What blows my mind is NC is going to allow some white on the shoes this year and some of our college guys actually went against it so the local association is going to be tighter on it than the state- and THEY get to wear shoes w/white already??!!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also I hated the socks and trying to hold them up.
Hear ya, there. I had a supply of athletic tape available to wrap around the top of my socks to hold them in place.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JRutledge;849737]Well in your situation I would understand you holding on to them. But we made a crew decision and we do not wear them anymore. Also I hated the socks and trying to hold them up. That alone was worth getting rid of silly looking pants.

The whole fashion arc for officials is somewhat interesting to track. All black stirrups, to striped stirrups, to one piece socks. Baseball certainly has many more fashion changes over the past 50+ years.
I recall the switch in lacrosse in the early 90's. We wore football knickers in foul weather. Not bad when it was cold, but not much help in the rain. At that time we went to an all black "rain" pants. Looked odd, but certainly a better tool for the conditions.
I like the pants for foul weather in football too, but the bright white knickers on a crisp fall evening just scream FOOTBALL! Of course the dingy yellow knickers on a freezing, rainy, muddy night screamed OLD SKOOL
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
That is correct. Since virtually all TV games will show officials in the black pants, I don't think anyone will be wearing knickers from 2013 on.
Now if we can get the CFL to ditch knickers, that'll really put a fork in 'em.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well in your situation I would understand you holding on to them. But we made a crew decision and we do not wear them anymore. Also I hated the socks and trying to hold them up. That alone was worth getting rid of silly looking pants.

Peace
If I was asked to fill in on another crew, I would ask what they were planning on wearing. If knickers, I'd decline since I don't own knickers anymore. Same if the crew wore white shorts (which, to me, looks horrible in a varsity game but is apparently OK here).
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stripes we wear in HS now. I know you Texas guys are NCAA rules and that's fine but I'm sick and tired of having to buy new crap just because the college level guys are switching to blue bean bags nee' black, wider stripes, etc.
Perhaps it's cause I'm a Texas guy, but the 2 inch stripes look infinitely better with black pants than a high school shirt...at least IMO.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
If I was asked to fill in on another crew, I would ask what they were planning on wearing. If knickers, I'd decline since I don't own knickers anymore. Same if the crew wore white shorts (which, to me, looks horrible in a varsity game but is apparently OK here).
Shorts are a no no here in Illinois for varsity, and in my opinion should be in Soph as well...The new back shorts I am seeing in the catalog with the white stripe look worse than the white shorts...
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
Shorts are a no no here in Illinois for varsity, and in my opinion should be in Soph as well...The new back shorts I am seeing in the catalog with the white stripe look worse than the white shorts...
You can thank Texas for that and I don't really like them either though I will say I sure don't think they look worse than white shorts!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

What blows my mind is NC is going to allow some white on the shoes this year and some of our college guys actually went against it so the local association is going to be tighter on it than the state- and THEY get to wear shoes w/white already??!!
The same pants we wear at the HS level, I wear at the college level. The stripe is bigger at only the NFL level.

And why would you care what color is on the shoes? It is almost impossible for some to fine a comfortable shoe and compound that with they must be all black is even harder.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I get the impression that there are some college officials that see things like white on shoes, 2" stripes and now black bean bags as "their things" and that they shouldn't be worn at the HS level.

The wider acceptance of shoes with white on them would be the next thing I'd like to see. It is getting harder to find a good pair of all black shoes. I stopped caring this year and bought the Adidas Turf Hogs. Fortunately we are in an environment where I can get away with that.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The same pants we wear at the HS level, I wear at the college level. The stripe is bigger at only the NFL level.

And why would you care what color is on the shoes? It is almost impossible for some to fine a comfortable shoe and compound that with they must be all black is even harder.

Peace
I think he was talking about the width of the stripes on the shirts not the pants...
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Peace
I think he was talking about the 2" stripes on the shirts.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's not possible. Nothing looks worse than the white shorts.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think he was talking about the width of the stripes on the shirts not the pants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I think he was talking about the 2" stripes on the shirts.
You guys are right. I was not even thinking about the shirt and only the pants.

We would not even wear those shirts for HS and I honestly do not know how you get them without the sublimated placard on the current shirts.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm sick and tired of having to buy new crap just because the college level guys are switching to blue bean bags nee' black, wider stripes, etc.
That's up to your state or association, of course, but I buy new gear just about every year, so a change isn't THAT big a deal. I have 4 nice, perfectly fine and recently purchased football shirts with the 1" stripes and about half a dozen that could be wearable at a scrimmage or subvarsity game. (I'm searching for an iPhone app to catalog all my basketball gear!), I would have no problem purchasing 4 new 2" striped shirts if we switched, knowing that we wouldn't go back. If we do, I'll gladly send you my stash of 1" stripes!

I would understand your argument better in the context of the baseball guys -- having to keep multiple shirts of different colors. Yeah, that'd be a huge pain. But we're going to have to replace our shirts at some point anyway.