The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Knickers

I officiated in a mud bowel last Friday night and have had little success getting the mud spots out of my new white knickers (100% Polyester). I initially washed in cold water, oxy-clean, and a little bleach. Nothing. I then soaked in water, oxy-clean, bleach for approximately 3 hours, followed with regular wash. Again, no success. Anyone had luck with these stains? The knickers have not been in the dryer.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Honestly...they're probably history. You can try this website; Cleaning Tips & Hints - House Cleaning,Upholstery Cleaning,Spring Cleaning,Stain Removers,Kitchen Cleaning,Bathroom Cleaning,Floor Cleaning,Carpet Cleaning etc.. Good luck.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

I use a product called Soilove with good results. It may work for you. If you have a 99 cent store around you, that is where I find it. It can also be purchased on Amazon by the case and some have said they found it at Longs Drugs.

I have also heard good things about Fels-Naptha, which comes in a bar but I haven't tried it before.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 08:55pm
Chain of Fools

Why oh why would you wear your new white knickers to a foul weather game?
That's what the old ones are for.

You might try the spray cleaner Greased Lightning on the spots but in reality they're probably your official rain game pants now.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Why oh why would you wear your new white knickers to a foul weather game?
That's what the old ones are for.

You might try the spray cleaner Greased Lightning on the spots but in reality they're probably your official rain game pants now.
Isn't this why we get to wear the new black pants?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 05:44am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Isn't this why we get to wear the new black pants?
Might be a state that didn't go to them yet.

We can't wear ours in NC til October per the state office.

One of the reasons I'm a huge advocate of Field Turf. It really cuts back on the laundry stains
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Might be a state that didn't go to them yet.

We can't wear ours in NC til October per the state office.

One of the reasons I'm a huge advocate of Field Turf. It really cuts back on the laundry stains
This is the exact reason why we (the crew) should be able to wear the black pants when the weather and field conditions dictate...not the state office.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
This is the exact reason why we (the crew) should be able to wear the black pants when the weather and field conditions dictate...not the state office.
Just the history of state offices being over-controlling for no good reason. Same reason we can't wear black shirts to umpire baseball, even though we wear navy for nothing but HS ball in my circle of umpires. I have to buy and maintain navy just for HS games.

They aren't the people outside in the pouring down rain. I specifically asked this question of our state office and they had changed the wording in their reply to "cold weather pants" and told me they were never intended to be worn for rainy conditions on warm days. They've always been sold as foul weather pants, not as "cold weather pants."

Since we have to wear long sleeves with the pants here (that's their condition on them), I had to go buy a thinner long sleeve shirt (the Smitty Elite shirt is nice) to wear earlier in the season so I could wear the pants instead of knickers in the rain. How much sense does that make?

While I'm posting this, I'm most annoyed at the rules interpreter coming to the state meeting this year and telling us that black shorts and short socks were approved for use and then on 9/10 a memo came out from the state office saying that neither of these items were approved. Well, we spent about $150 on shorts and matching short socks based on what the state office's representative told us -- now they expect us to *not* wear them? I mean, we only bought them for nonvarsity competition (although I've seen them on varsity crews in the highlights on TV, we wear knickers or pants only for varsity games). Why do they care? Do they have such strict dress codes for their coaches?

Last edited by Rich; Thu Sep 23, 2010 at 08:33am.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Knickers

Goodwill & Rich,

I totally agree with the both of you.

Hey Red, try soaking them in hot water with DAWN dish soap. This was my mother's idea a couple years ago. It worked. Good Luck!

It will be a black pants day in Central WI tomorrow night. With the rain we got last night, today and supposed to last until tomorrow morning, the grass fields will be SLOPPY!