The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

30+ years in this business and I have never heard the argument put forth here. (not even from the one guy in every association that comes up with the weekly "what if" questions)

Either we're all incredibly ignorant or someone is just sabre rattling.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I can't understand why people in this thread are blind to the fact that there are 2 different prohibitions there -- one in the case book alone (a second before motion), the other (a second before the snap) in both the rules and the case book.
You can't understand it because you're the one mistaken in your interpretation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Not according to Fed's definition of "shift". They could easily amend the definition to include a stop of 1 sec., and that would bring the case book into conformity with the rule book. Or they could amend the rules to specify the 1 sec. pause before the motion starts, and that would bring it into conformity with the case book. But as it stands, the case book is imposing an add'l requirement that's not in the rule book.
There's no need to change NF: 2-39. The restriction of a 1 second pause prior to a snap, relates only to player movement occurring during the 1 second immediatly preceeding a snap. There is no 1 second pause requirement between any player movements OTHER THAN player movement immediately preceeding the snap.

The fact that the application of this requirement seems clear, as written, to a majority of students of the rules, renders your suggestion for a required clarification as unnecessary.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Not legal by the rule book. That's an easy illegal shift: it's not the case that all 11 set for 1 second prior to the snap.
Oh. I never thought of that.

In my mind I'd "rewritten" the rule to say only that a shift must end at least 1 sec. before the snap. I hadn't considered that just because a particular shift ended a given time before the snap doesn't mean all players were stationary for any particular portion of that time. I was thinking only about the second immediately before the snap, and failed to see that the failure to all be stationary for a second could require looking at an interval farther back in time.
Quote:
Still don't see a conflict.
There isn't one.

Until now I'd always thought people who didn't understand the pre-snap motion & shift rules were overcomplicating things in their minds, and that at least I could keep them straight. Now I wound up in their category!