The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 12:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Goodell: NFL to consider full-time officials

Goodell: NFL to consider full-time officials, rules for coaching switches - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy Advice

Interesting... I assume these would be the Referees.

In my opinion, if they're going to do it they should do it right and hire all officials full-time.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

What would having "full-time" officials provide that is not currently available?

It is possible NFL officials could be more scrutinized, be held to a higher level of accountability, or expected to devote any more time to rule understanding, film study and actual game review than is currently the case?

From the articles you read from time to time about the actual preparation involved for each week's assignments, it seems these guys currently spend at least 40 hours a week reviewing last week's performance, the comming week's teams tendencies, crew meetings and discussions and review with supervisors and traveling to/from game sites.

It seems hard to imagine a training program more intense, more widespread or more available than the current needs of the High School and Collegiate levels of football where NFL officials "learn their craft".

The system doesn't seem at all "broke", or a lot would be added by "fixing it".
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

This was a big deal a couple of years ago when the officials went on strike. One of the sticking points was that some officials wanted to be paid as full time employees. One of the quotes out there was something to the effect "well, some firefighters only work 20 hours a week and they are full time." Then 9-11 happened literally the next week and we witnessed the heroic actions of the firefighters and that quote was never mentioned again.

Anyway, I don't see the value of having full time officials for the NFL. What more are officals going to gain by being considering and being paid as full time?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 03:53pm
Chain of Fools

I don't see how 10 officials switched to "full time" status makes anything better or different. The goal of consistency, while laudable, will never reach 100%.

Will Ed Hochuli, a top shelf atty, give up his law firm? Doubtful. Will Mike Carey give up his successful business? I wouldn't think so.

These guys already study film, read rule books, confer, and work camps and scrimmages. What other full time duties can they perform?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

As I read it they would be using existing officials to do more advanced film review that could be used by the "part-time" officials throughout the season to improve consistency. They could do the same thing by hiring retired officials to do the same thing but it may be less expensive to give a little more money to existing officials rather than paying a full salary to others. I wonder if there will be any conflict between those 10 officials and the ones who receive their comments. Overall I think this sounds like something that would have a positive impact on officiating.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is just a marketing ploy by the NFL to make the fans feel better by having "full time" officials. These guys already put in long hours doing film study and camps. There isn't much more they can do that they aren't already doing.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

As tjones stated the full time officials would be R's so that takes care of 10 crews, what about the other 6 crews ?
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 01:29pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
As tjones stated the full time officials would be R's so that takes care of 10 crews, what about the other 6 crews ?
Actually, there are 17 crews. At least one crew always has the week off.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 03:13pm
Chain of Fools

So how does one guy for every one and half crews lead to an increase in "consistency"? I like Goodell but someone sold him a lemon on this one.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

This might be a good idea IF...it didn't end up making most current officials leave. Like mentioned above, there are many top officials who wouldn't join full time since FT would mean more time than what's now spent. So, they'd either have to stagger in FT officials or you'd have to deal with losing a lot of experience.

Contrary to what's expressed here, I think going full time would be better than what's done now. On a typical game weekend, the crews meet mid-day Friday and leave mid-day Monday while either working the game or in film study or review most working hours. A full 2-3 week camp during the summer, 3 or 4 1 week mini-camps during the spring, team scrimmages and clinics. They'd easily put in 40-45 full time weeks but still would be home more than the average national sales rep.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I agree completely with the other posters on here...what could they possibly be doing more of that they aren't already doing? They make plenty of money.
Old Mon Jan 16, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
In my opinion, if they're going to do it they should do it right and hire all officials full-time.
I don't think that's going to happen. My guess is most NFL officials don't want to be full time employees.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:09am
Chain of Fools

Peter King of SI's take:

I think it's fine that the NFL is considering hiring 10 full-time officials. It cannot hurt -- except if some of those the league would like to bring on full-time choose their day jobs. But I still don't see how it helps to be totally immersed in the job and in tape study. I like how Gene Steratore works as a basketball ref, even in season (see my Factoid of the Week), and probably stays sharp working games even if it's another game entirely. I'll be interested in hearing the league's plans for this, though I don't think I'll ever believe full-time officials will help guys make calls in such a fast game any better.

Read more: Eli Manning, Osi Umenyiora key New York Giants' upset over Green Bay Packers - Peter King - SI.com
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I agree completely with the other posters on here...what could they possibly be doing more of that they aren't already doing? They make plenty of money.
If you had a job paying $60-$80k and you were making an additional $15-$20k working D1 football, would you take a pay cut to $40k-$50 to start working the NFL? You'll eventually move up the ladder but unless they start paying them equivalent to what some are making in their current jobs, guys will chose their regular jobs over the NFL.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If you had a job paying $60-$80k and you were making an additional $15-$20k working D1 football, would you take a pay cut to $40k-$50 to start working the NFL? You'll eventually move up the ladder but unless they start paying them equivalent to what some are making in their current jobs, guys will chose their regular jobs over the NFL.
And go back to working on Saturdays.