The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,105
NFHS - Please Provide Reference

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Two man, on full time out, we now stand on the low blocks. Is it the blocks nearer to table side or opposite? (By the way, the new two man mechanics arent very ideal if anyone is asking my opinion)

Chopping Time

Lead throw in from end line, should the trail mirror lead's chop? My opinion is we have enough in two-man to watch off ball while this is going on to also have to pay attention to the ball being legally touched or our partners chop. I know womens college the trail mirrors the chop but I have yet to hear or read that this is a mechanic for HS / mens.

Thanks

Larks
VIT
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,123
Both are right in the book.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
NFHS - Please Provide Reference

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Two man, on full time out, we now stand on the low blocks. Is it the blocks nearer to table side or opposite? (By the way, the new two man mechanics arent very ideal if anyone is asking my opinion)
Opposite the table. There is a diagram in the NF Officiating Manual that clearly states what is to be done.



Quote:
Originally posted by Larks


Chopping Time

Lead throw in from end line, should the trail mirror lead's chop? My opinion is we have enough in two-man to watch off ball while this is going on to also have to pay attention to the ball being legally touched or our partners chop. I know womens college the trail mirrors the chop but I have yet to hear or read that this is a mechanic for HS / mens.

Again, right in the manual. The covering officials (who administers the throw-in) is the only person that is suppose to chop. As the trail, you have other things to look at. If you are both watching the ball, you will not see the other things going on. Also, this is not Women's college basketball. It appears that Mary is tying to make it that way, but it is not at this time. So do not get the levels confused.

All of this is directly in the Two Person Mechanics section. There are clearly diagrams and references to Throw-In Administration and Timeout Procedures.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 769
1. Opposite table. Now that they've defined the bench area, the block table side is in the "Bench Area".

2. Do not mirror as trail. Most timers never look at us anyways.

Mregor
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 33
Why would you want to mirror the administering official chop in time. You and your partner no matter how good you are will never get your hand down at the same time giving the coaches and fans one more thing to yell about with 0.7 seconds left to go in a one point game.

You should be on the neutral zones opposite the table. ItÂ’s the same as three person without the official standing at the table.
__________________
The next call is the most important call of the game
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,105
Re: Both are right in the book.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
NFHS - Please Provide Reference

Both 2-Man Mechs

Full time out

Two man, on full time out, we now stand on the low blocks. Is it the blocks nearer to table side or opposite? (By the way, the new two man mechanics arent very ideal if anyone is asking my opinion)
Opposite the table. There is a diagram in the NF Officiating Manual that clearly states what is to be done.



Quote:
Originally posted by Larks


Chopping Time

Lead throw in from end line, should the trail mirror lead's chop? My opinion is we have enough in two-man to watch off ball while this is going on to also have to pay attention to the ball being legally touched or our partners chop. I know womens college the trail mirrors the chop but I have yet to hear or read that this is a mechanic for HS / mens.

Again, right in the manual. The covering officials (who administers the throw-in) is the only person that is suppose to chop. As the trail, you have other things to look at. If you are both watching the ball, you will not see the other things going on. Also, this is not Women's college basketball. It appears that Mary is tying to make it that way, but it is not at this time. So do not get the levels confused.

All of this is directly in the Two Person Mechanics section. There are clearly diagrams and references to Throw-In Administration and Timeout Procedures.

Peace

Thanks Rut. Manuals in the bag at the house. On the chop thing, I have started seeing this happen this year and have a bet with a very tenured official that you do not echo the chop for the reasons we both suggested, not to mention it aint in the book!


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,123
Thumbs up You have some money coming to you!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks


Thanks Rut. Manuals in the bag at the house. On the chop thing, I have started seeing this happen this year and have a bet with a very tenured official that you do not echo the chop for the reasons we both suggested, not to mention it aint in the book!


__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:29pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Question At the table?

Quote:
Originally posted by EMBUAump
ItÂ’s the same as three person without the official standing at the table.
EMBUAump,
Huh?
Why would an official be positioned at the table?
I don't know that mechanic.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 33
Unhappy

I see what youÂ’re saying, fingers faster then the brain I guess. The official at the division line in front of or behind the circle (often called the table around here) was the old two person time out positioning. Now both officials go to the neutral zones for 60 second time outs. The new timeout positioning is the same as three person. What I should have said standing at the throw-in spot.

Sorry.......................Try not to have it happen again.
__________________
The next call is the most important call of the game
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 03:00pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by EMBUAump
Now both officials go to the neutral zones for 60 second time outs. The new timeout positioning is the same as three person. What I should have said standing at the throw-in spot.
EMBUAump,
I figgered so.
mick
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Suwanee Georgia
Posts: 1,050
When do you chop time on a jump ball?

The rule book says that time should be started when it is legally touched. Touched by whom? The players in the jump ball circle who are jumping for possession? Or one of the non-jumpers?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 07:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to IAABO_Ref
Start the Clock

When it's touched by one of the jumpers
__________________
There's a lot that goes into getting booed!
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Dec 03, 2003, 07:22am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Re: When do you chop time on a jump ball?

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
The rule book says that time should be started when it is legally touched. Touched by whom? The players in the jump ball circle who are jumping for possession? Or one of the non-jumpers?
Jumpers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1