The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 03:26pm
In Time Out

I can't believe I saw this.

I usually go to a lot of high school playoff games, especially when there are two very good big schools playing. Needless to say, I've been fortunate to see some fantastic finishes.

Last Saturday, I went to the Dallas Skyline and Southlake Carroll 5A Division I state semi-final at SMU. Carroll was down by 10 with just a couple of minutes to play when it scored a TD to put them down by 3. Carroll then recovered a controversial onside kick.

Carroll was on the Skyline 35 when QB Kenny Hill, son of former MLB pitcher Ken Hill, scored on a run around the right side to make the score Carroll 28-Sklyline 24.

You might think, "What's so unusual about that?" Well, I'll tell you. As Hill was heading to the north end zone, a fox came running towards them heading to the south end zone where he proceeded to jump onto the grass berm and escape. I believe I watched the fox more than the play.

It was one of those WTF moments for sure.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hig...winning-td.ece

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Tue Dec 13, 2011 at 03:41pm.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Carroll then recovered a controversial onside kick.
So you're gonna come in here and tell us there was controversy on a football field, and not tell us anything about the controversy?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

read all about it:

Controversial Onside Kick (video)

Southlake-Skyline
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:29am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
So you're gonna come in here and tell us there was controversy on a football field, and not tell us anything about the controversy?
After seeing the fox, the onside kick controversy was just an afterthought.

Anyway, Skyline is the big magnet school in the DISD that is predominately black. They are able to get athletes from all over the school district just because they might offer a class that other schools don't offer. For example, culinary arts is one of these classes.

Southlake Carroll is the wealthy, rich white boys, with a few black kids sprinkled in, usually sons of pro athletes. Several of the Rangers and Cowboys live out there as there are several million dollar or more homes.

Sitting on the Skyline side, they were in a flux about "whitey" getting the benefit of the doubt. After the game the Skyline fans were screaming across the way, while the Southlake band played.

Skyline screwed up catching the onside kick IMO, so I don't understand what all the beef was about.

The fox was pretty cool. I've seen some on occasions run out from wooded creek beds close to my house.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Steven Tyler;804507]

Sitting on the Skyline side, they were in a flux about "whitey" getting the benefit of the doubt. After the game the Skyline fans were screaming across the way, while the Southlake band played.

Skyline screwed up catching the onside kick IMO, so I don't understand what all the beef was about.
QUOTE]

The Skyline side had a legitimate beef although not for the reason they were saying. Their complaint was the kickers touched the ball before it went 10 yards. While there is one video from one angle that "seems" to support that, all the other videos and angles support the call on the field which is the ball was touched by the kickers just after it went 10 yards.

The issue they did not even pick up on is that the kickers were blocking the receivers well in front of the ball and well before they (kickers) were eligible to touch the ball. That is a foul under NCAA rules which was not called here.

Kickers were allowed to keep the ball and they proptly went 50 yards in a few plays to score the go ahead TD at the end of the game.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:16pm
In Time Out

[QUOTE=TXMike;804523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

QUOTE]

The Skyline side had a legitimate beef although not for the reason they were saying. Their complaint was the kickers touched the ball before it went 10 yards. While there is one video from one angle that "seems" to support that, all the other videos and angles support the call on the field which is the ball was touched by the kickers just after it went 10 yards.

The issue they did not even pick up on is that the kickers were blocking the receivers well in front of the ball and well before they (kickers) were eligible to touch the ball. That is a foul under NCAA rules which was not called here.

Kickers were allowed to keep the ball and they proptly went 50 yards in a few plays to score the go ahead TD at the end of the game.
I just felt Skyline laid back too much in attempting to field the kick, but your point about the foul tells me a little more.

I read in the DMN today that Skyline was going to protest the onside kick ruling, and something about the Austin chapter Doubt it will do any good.

If you get a chance, go the Dallas Morning News high school sports web page. There are some interesting tidbits about Texas high school playoffs from the olden days............

check the link about first UIL title game constroversy involves Dallas team.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/

The link only provides one story, but there were about six more if you can click around and find them.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 11:28pm.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
People take high school sports way too seriously.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:27am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

This exact play happened in a provincial final in my province.

It was later concluded that the officials did not know of the illegal blocking rule, and therefore didn't know to consider it a foul. They were too focused on first touched/last touched.

Perhaps these officials didn't know of the illegal blocking rule.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
This exact play happened in a provincial final in my province.

It was later concluded that the officials did not know of the illegal blocking rule, and therefore didn't know to consider it a foul. They were too focused on first touched/last touched.

Perhaps these officials didn't know of the illegal blocking rule.
6 of the 7 work some level of college football. They knew the rule. Although none have publicly commented that I know of, a more likely explanation is "ball watching".
Old Fri Dec 16, 2011, 05:31am
In Time Out

I don't know if anyone on here was able to open the link I provided, and find more tidbits from early state championship games.

One was about a player's age. Since no birth certificate could be provided, they looked in the family bible. It showed the player's birth was in 1903. I don't remember exactly the year of the game, but according to the rules of the day, no person over the age of 21 was allowed to play HS football.

21, Damn, and they only had eleven grades back then!

PS-I've been researching some old archive sports clippings of late, and I've noticed that for many years, that the players first name was never used in the article.