View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:16pm
In Time Out

[QUOTE=TXMike;804523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

Sitting on the Skyline side, they were in a flux about "whitey" getting the benefit of the doubt. After the game the Skyline fans were screaming across the way, while the Southlake band played.

Skyline screwed up catching the onside kick IMO, so I don't understand what all the beef was about.
QUOTE]

The Skyline side had a legitimate beef although not for the reason they were saying. Their complaint was the kickers touched the ball before it went 10 yards. While there is one video from one angle that "seems" to support that, all the other videos and angles support the call on the field which is the ball was touched by the kickers just after it went 10 yards.

The issue they did not even pick up on is that the kickers were blocking the receivers well in front of the ball and well before they (kickers) were eligible to touch the ball. That is a foul under NCAA rules which was not called here.

Kickers were allowed to keep the ball and they proptly went 50 yards in a few plays to score the go ahead TD at the end of the game.
I just felt Skyline laid back too much in attempting to field the kick, but your point about the foul tells me a little more.

I read in the DMN today that Skyline was going to protest the onside kick ruling, and something about the Austin chapter Doubt it will do any good.

If you get a chance, go the Dallas Morning News high school sports web page. There are some interesting tidbits about Texas high school playoffs from the olden days............

check the link about first UIL title game constroversy involves Dallas team.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/

The link only provides one story, but there were about six more if you can click around and find them.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 11:28pm.