Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:24pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What's the real problem here?
The "problem", if you want to call it that, is that when a team's choice is to defer, they know that they're going to be kicking off to start the first half. Therefore, they sometimes use the shortcut "We'll kick" instead of "We'll defer."

It's certainly not what they mean.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
The "problem", if you want to call it that, is that when a team's choice is to defer, they know that they're going to be kicking off to start the first half. Therefore, they sometimes use the shortcut "We'll kick" instead of "We'll defer."

It's certainly not what they mean.
We are reading minds now?

Quote:
No surprise there.
No surprise where? What are you afraid that someone is going to yell at you and hurt your little feelings? That what it sounds like to me.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We are reading minds now? Peace
Honestly, we might be here. I think it's pretty clear that in 999999 times out of 1000000 they really do mean defer. What's more, there is ZERO harm in doing what they MEAN here instead of what they say ... if they REALLY meant kick - they can still do so at the start of the 3rd quarter.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Honestly, we might be here. I think it's pretty clear that in 999999 times out of 1000000 they really do mean defer. What's more, there is ZERO harm in doing what they MEAN here instead of what they say ... if they REALLY meant kick - they can still do so at the start of the 3rd quarter.
Then tell me why do they have the option in the rules? I do not think we can just arbitrarily set a rule totally aside because "we think" they know what they mean. That is why we/my crew ask them to clarify so it is clear what they want. The vast majority of teams say defer and they are taught properly to say defer. Rare that there is any other choice and they use the proper terminology.

It does not take long to get clarification or ask the coach ahead of time. But then when they make a choice we should not choose for them. And again the harm is the other teams now thinks you made a choice for them and put them at a clear disadvantage. Either way someone can or will be upset when they coach their kids the right way.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's more, there is ZERO harm in doing what they MEAN here instead of what they say
A says they want to kick. Referee decides that they want to defer. B then chooses to kick. Now A is mad because they wanted to kick but are now receiving.

It is one thing to make sure that the team understands that electing to kick means that they will probably kick to start both halves. It is a completely different thing to overrule the team's choice because you think you know what they actually want.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then tell me why do they have the option in the rules? I do not think we can just arbitrarily set a rule totally aside because "we think" they know what they mean. That is why we/my crew ask them to clarify so it is clear what they want. The vast majority of teams say defer and they are taught properly to say defer. Rare that there is any other choice and they use the proper terminology.

It does not take long to get clarification or ask the coach ahead of time. But then when they make a choice we should not choose for them. And again the harm is the other teams now thinks you made a choice for them and put them at a clear disadvantage. Either way someone can or will be upset when they coach their kids the right way.

Peace
I guess I see this more in parallel with "strongly suggesting" someone take or decline a penalty ... "are you sure," for example. Making sure they understand what they are choosing.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
A says they want to kick. Referee decides that they want to defer. B then chooses to kick. Now A is mad because they wanted to kick but are now receiving.

It is one thing to make sure that the team understands that electing to kick means that they will probably kick to start both halves. It is a completely different thing to overrule the team's choice because you think you know what they actually want.
Point taken.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:43pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
We are reading minds now?
You don't have to be Kreskin to know they mean "defer" if that's what the coach told you during the pre-game.

(Assuming you have the common sense to ask him.)
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You don't have to be Kreskin to know they mean "defer" if that's what the coach told you during the pre-game.

(Assuming you have the common sense to ask him.)
Somehow, never had a problem single problem with my procedure or way I handled it or my crew handled it. I can only think of one varsity game this ever was allowed to kick after we asked the player about 3 or 4 times "You really want to kick the ball?" Then the kid said, "Yes the coach wanted me to say kick the ball, we want to kick the ball." Funny, nothing bad happened. Imagine that.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 02:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I guess I see this more in parallel with "strongly suggesting" someone take or decline a penalty ... "are you sure," for example. Making sure they understand what they are choosing.
I have no problem with that. I just want to be sure and the coach knows who he needs to be mad at or attend the darn coin flip which they can do in our state.

Peace