The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

i have not had an issue with the Honigs light weight or heavy weight black pants.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

No issues here. I wash my uniforms with Sport Wash (a capful per load, bought on Amazon.com) and nothing else. No bleaches, no fabric softener, nothing.

Amazon.com: Sno Seal Sport Wash 2 Liter: Sports & Outdoors

I've worn the lightweight Honig's pants for every varsity game and for many of our sub varsity games (we either wear shorts or pants, never knickers).

There is a non-trivial amount of spandex in the lightweight pants. I never use bleach of any kind (Clorox 2 is just bleach at a lower concentration that's *usually* color safe) with my officiating clothes. Hell, even for our normal clothes, we don't use any fabric softener other than a 1/2 cup of white vinegar.

Last edited by Rich; Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 12:34pm.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

i suspect we will find it has something to do with when the pants were bought as they may have had some quality control issues in the crush to get so many pairs out so fast
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
i suspect we will find it has something to do with when the pants were bought as they may have had some quality control issues in the crush to get so many pairs out so fast
Could be. I bought mine right around the start of the season. Glad I had them -- the Davis pants I bought last season have not left the closet.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Clorox 2 is chlorine free and is supposed to be safe for non-colorfast fabrics, similar to Oxyclean. I don't think that is the issue as it never has been with any of my other gear. Like Mike said, I think it is a QC issue. So glad we got to be the guinea pigs. I guess Ump-Attire will be getting all of my business next season when it's time to get another pair of pants and some new shirts.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Clorox 2 is chlorine free and is supposed to be safe for non-colorfast fabrics, similar to Oxyclean. I don't think that is the issue as it never has been with any of my other gear. Like Mike said, I think it is a QC issue. So glad we got to be the guinea pigs. I guess Ump-Attire will be getting all of my business next season when it's time to get another pair of pants and some new shirts.
I have not had any problem. I have in the past 3 years had some version of these pants. We wore them the first year they were available in almost half the season as the last have of our season was either very rainy or cold. And this year we wore only those pants as I work HS where they can be worn in every game no matter what the weather or the shirt selection and every college game they are the only choice. I have watched closely to see if there is a problem with the pants and how they hold up, but nothing has happen. It is just possible you got a bad pair or that they did at one time rush out some pants and the fabric were not as a concern.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Chlorine free, yes. The main active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide.

I like Purchase Officials Supply's Smitty ComfortTech shirts (short sleeved). I only buy a handful of things from Honig's these days. The lightweight pants have been great for me.
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I've got the original foul weather Honig's and haven't noticed. However, I haven't worn them much.

I bought a pair of Smitty's this spring and its been my primary pair. I've noticed in the white stripes on those what I can only describe as a "run" in the material. The first I noticed, I thought it was a stain so I treated and re-washed and it was still there. I inspected it closer then and its some thinning in the material of the stripe.

HLin NC, did you notice the "run"/thinning in the Honig's pants or the Smitty's?
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 08:56am
Chain of Fools

Smitty's
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Honigs and Davis light weight pants. I have not noticed the Davis pants stripe dinge but the Honigs stripe is dingy.

I wash all my officiating clothes together with no bleach only tide.