The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pants: Honigs or Sansabelt

I need a couple of more pairs of slacks, and I'm down to these two choices. The Sansabelt I bought after last season and wore at camps (and sofar this year) have been great. The Honigs interests me due to the athletic cut, of which I wear for football knickers. A little extra room never hurts, but there's nothing really wrong with the Sans fit.

So, fit aside, what do you guys that have worn both prefer? The Sansabelts seem to hold up well (all S-B I've had have done so). Are the Honigs lighter, heavier, or the same? Any comfort differences? Wrinkle issues? Thanks!
Old Sun Nov 12, 2006, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the Honig B51APs and I love em. Never wrinkle. Hold up well to the wear and tear. Extra "fly" button is a nice touch.

In my experience, Honigs isnt the best for hemming though. Almost guaratnteed to come out on you and they miss the measurement by 1/2" to an inch. Order em unhemmed and use a local tailor.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

I had a bad experience with Honigs pants...they weren't black, they weren't navy, they weren't grey, they were a combo of all 3.

They looked funny, so I compared them with an old pair of Sansabelts and it was night and day. To their credit they were good about letting me return them, even though they were hemmed.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I wore the Sansabelt for a few years and had no problems with them, but when most of the referees in my area went to pleated pants I changed to the Honig's. I have been very happy with them.

They are a different material. It is heavier and does not have the elastic aspect present in the Sansabelt material. They are more akin to a pair of dress slacks. No wrinkle issues.

I agree with Larks on the hemming.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

I prefer the Sansabelt. The one year I bought Honig's the pockets were made out of such a thick material, I had to cut them out of the slacks.

Who has the best price for Sansabelt?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

How would you rate Cliff Keens against these two?
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Funny you ask, I have both and like both. I like Sansabelt becuase of odd sizes, Honig doesn't have odd number sizes. I like Honig because of heavier material. I just purchased the Smitty pants, which I believe is a Sansabelt copy. They are about $7 cheaper and awaiting for them to ship.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Never worn them.

But I will say that everything CK makes runs small compared to other vendors' sizes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Cliff Keens are a little thinner than Sansabelt, but they are still a nice pair of pants. The CKs wrinkle a little more than the Sansabelt pants because they are not as thick.

Now I just bought some Smitty pants from Purchase Officials Supplies. I have not worn them yet during an actual game, but the feel is very similar to Sansabelt brand. The Smitty brand is also much cheaper. I bought two pair of pants that were just a little more expensive than one pair (granted these pants were on sale at the NCAA Meeting). It looks to me that these pants are just as good, but I will have to see. If you can afford Sansabelt, buy them. I have had many Sansabelt pants over the years and they have held up very well.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 13, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is heavier and does not have the elastic aspect present in the Sansabelt material.
I'm very concerned about this. Can someone elaborate?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to hold off on the Honigs right now and get the S-Bs. I bought a couple of pairs today, and the dealer told me that S-B made their pleated ones more of an athletic fit. Can anyone confirm this (i.e. compare it to the Honigs athletic cut)?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
I wear the Honig B51APs and I love em.
Does the "51" designate the waist size?

If so, congratulations for losing some weight.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_ Fred
Funny you ask, I have both and like both. I like Sansabelt becuase of odd sizes, Honig doesn't have odd number sizes. I like Honig because of heavier material. I just purchased the Smitty pants, which I believe is a Sansabelt copy. They are about $7 cheaper and awaiting for them to ship.
That's not true anymore. While that was the case about three years ago, they have changed and now offer odd number sizes. I know this for sure as I wear a pair of their B51P in a size 33R.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

OK, I realize this may be heresy, because these pants don't drip testosterone, but Haggar Heritage slacks (beltless) are available on-line at J C Penney's website, they come in an assortment of waist and inseam sizes, and are like $35-45 per pair. I've used them for 5 years, and they keep the pleat sharp, even after repeated washings.

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=469&CatID=29718&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=0ed4076&ProdSeq=8&Cat=dress+trousers&Dep=Men&PCat=Pants&PCatID=28232&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=15&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll.aspx&RefCatID=28232&RefDeptID=469&Page=2&CmCatId=469|28232|29718
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

If they work for you, great, but I've never had any Haggar pants for basketball that were worth a darn. I bought a pair early last year because I thought I would lose a couple of inches, and I didn't want to spend the money on S-B only to wear them for a few games. I still regret not spending 10-15 more dollars on the S-B, as I didn't like the Haggar at all.