The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Black Pants

We are having some discussion in our state about wearing black pants for high school. Currently we are only permitted to wear the black pants when it is foul weather out. Most of the officials in the state would like to wear them full time.

Out of curiosity, how many states out there are now wearing the black pants as a standard part of their uniform, regardless the situation?

Please weigh in for your state or any state you know for sure that wears black pants now.

Thanks.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Was just discussing this in a PM with a fellow Wisconsinite in the stripes.

My BJ knows and sees the head of our state association in WI quite often, and it's apparently his prerogative that we should all be wearing whities unless it is raining or very cold out. This was the opinion as little as 2 weeks ago.

My honest opinion is that the white knickers can't go away fast enough, and they can take the socks with them, to boot. We'll see. I'm sure a few others from my state will sound in. Knowing that Illinois and Ohio always beat WI to the punch on everything regarding football rules, hard to say.

This from the WIAA's website here in WI;

Official's and Black Pants
The long sleeves and jacket will not be required when wearing black pants. Black pants can be worn as the rule change was intended for "foul weather" and not as a replacement for the knickers.

Standard, all-white tapered knickers shall be worn with a short overlap below the knee (not more than 4 inches).

By state association adoption, foul weather, full-length, lined black pants with a single 1¼ inch white stripe down each leg may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew. The crew chief will determine when the whole crew will wear black pants.

Black shorts are allowed if worn by the entire crew.

We discussed the black pants at the NFHS Summer Meeting. They will be adjusting the language at the next meeting which should have the word “in” before foul weather. It’s not a battle I’m going to fight, hence we removed the long sleeves or jacket requirement. If the chief determines it is foul weather and the entire crew wears black pants, then that’s what it is.

If it’s 70 and sunny, it’s credibility on the line. Hard for a coach to know that the rule, as intended, doesn’t have to be followed by the official, but the official expects my kids and me to follow the rules. With that in mind, our office is not going to get involved. It’s up to the crew chief's discretion.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Mon Sep 12, 2011 at 04:38pm.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 05:11pm
Official & ***** Member

Alabama allows black as an association option for 2011. Word is that they will be mandatory in 2012.

I've not seen a crew in this state wearing knickers so far this year.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 05:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Was just discussing this in a PM with a fellow Wisconsinite in the stripes.

My BJ knows and sees the head of our state association in WI quite often, and it's apparently his prerogative that we should all be wearing whities unless it is raining or very cold out. This was the opinion as little as 2 weeks ago.

My honest opinion is that the white knickers can't go away fast enough, and they can take the socks with them, to boot. We'll see. I'm sure a few others from my state will sound in. Knowing that Illinois and Ohio always beat WI to the punch on everything regarding football rules, hard to say.

This from the WIAA's website here in WI;

Official's and Black Pants
The long sleeves and jacket will not be required when wearing black pants. Black pants can be worn as the rule change was intended for "foul weather" and not as a replacement for the knickers.

Standard, all-white tapered knickers shall be worn with a short overlap below the knee (not more than 4 inches).

By state association adoption, foul weather, full-length, lined black pants with a single 1¼ inch white stripe down each leg may be worn in place of the traditional knickers if worn by the entire crew. The crew chief will determine when the whole crew will wear black pants.

Black shorts are allowed if worn by the entire crew.

We discussed the black pants at the NFHS Summer Meeting. They will be adjusting the language at the next meeting which should have the word “in” before foul weather. It’s not a battle I’m going to fight, hence we removed the long sleeves or jacket requirement. If the chief determines it is foul weather and the entire crew wears black pants, then that’s what it is.

If it’s 70 and sunny, it’s credibility on the line. Hard for a coach to know that the rule, as intended, doesn’t have to be followed by the official, but the official expects my kids and me to follow the rules. With that in mind, our office is not going to get involved. It’s up to the crew chief's discretion.
The reality is that well over half of the crews are already wearing black pants every week. The TV highlights bear that out. We had black pants, some knickers, and even a crew wearing black shorts this past Friday night.

Up to the crew chief to decide if the weather justifies the pants. Says so himself.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

In Michigan the black pants are allowed for foul weather and it is up to the crew chiefs as to what they consider foul weather.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 08:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Simbo,

There have been multiple threads on this topic. We are just repeating this topic over and over again. I suggest you find those recent threads as most of the information you are looking for has been already stated many times. This is especially the case with the NCAA going to black pants all the time so many states also have done the same with conditions.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 12, 2011, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, each local association is allowed to establish their own policy regarding black pants and knickers, with the exception that black pants are required after October 15, regular season and playoffs.

Some associations, such as HLinNC's local, are wearing black only.

Our association has given us the option to wear either, as it was felt some may have knickers that they have just pruchased within the past year or so.

Through Week 4, I have yet to put on a pair of knickers. I hope I never do again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 13, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

As I've stated before, Nebraska is allowing black pants only with long sleeves.

This Friday's kickoff temp looks to be around 67, we used to wear short sleeves on those nights, this week, I think we're going to go long sleeves just to stay out of our knickers.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI View Post
In Michigan the black pants are allowed for foul weather and it is up to the crew chiefs as to what they consider foul weather.
Foul weather is not a condition in MI according to Mark Uyl at MHSAA. The crew will decide what they want to wear as long as they match. From watching the highlight shows it looks like about 80% of crews have gone to black.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
As I've stated before, Nebraska is allowing black pants only with long sleeves.
Which is really just plain silly. Do they make their basketball officials wear long sleeves? How about their baseball umpires? Have they seen every official in every college game played so far this season, all of whom are in short sleeves and black slacks?

You know, there's probably one guy sitting in an office somewhere who can take credit for such a stupid policy.

Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Which is really just plain silly. Do they make their basketball officials wear long sleeves? How about their baseball umpires? Have they seen every official in every college game played so far this season, all of whom are in short sleeves and black slacks?

You know, there's probably one guy sitting in an office somewhere who can take credit for such a stupid policy.
And that person doesn't officiate.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I am in Nebraska as well. We have a new assistant director at the state level. He is following the old regime's law of black pants with long sleeves. It is my understanding the new guy hasn't officiated before even though his title is assistant director/supervisor of officials. We will see...
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 08:17am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:

NCAA mandated black pants this season, and retired the knickers entirely.

MN allows the crew the option to wear knickers or black pants, with either the short sleeves or the long sleeves. My crew has stuck with the knickers so far this season, and from what I've seen on the local highlight shows, we're about the only crew in the area that is still wearing them.

My white hat has said that we'll switch to the black pants once the weather turns cold.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
NCAA mandated black pants this season, and retired the knickers entirely.
Yes, I'm aware, which is why I asked the question, wasn't the state director aware of this.

Old Thu Sep 15, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

FTV,

What I posted is exactly what Mark told me last year at the state championships. They are giving a LOT of latitude as to what you consider "foul weather".

Last edited by Matt-MI; Thu Sep 15, 2011 at 02:06pm.