The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 08:31am
Chain of Fools

OK Ohio- adornments galore

Watched the second half of Massilon and Harding, was suprised at the sparse crowd. I believe it was live. I did hear the announcers say that there was a lightening delay so I assume that had something to do with the crowd.

Massilon had a pink towel (#20), black towel, white towel w/writing (#24), pink shooters sleeves, the holder (#10) actually had a long, pink towel hanging out the back of his pants like a tail, pink NFL wristbands worn at the bicep. Given this was a nationally televised game, are they just being told to ignore it or didn't want to make waves? The opponent had no problems that I spotted so the difference was glaring.

I don't like flagging kids for this but I beleive we ought to at least tell them to get rid of them or let the coach know to have them do it if its that widespread.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

The current rule about "uniform adornments" is one of the simplist, easy to understand rules ever written. Rather than deal with a never ending list of what should not be worn, there's a really short list of things that can be worn (NF:1-5-3-a-5).

There's no explanation necessary, no discussion the item is either an "unmarked white towel" or a "moisture absorbing sweatband", worn properly, or it can't be worn by a player. Abiding by this rule is clearly something that should be established IN THE LOCKERROOM BEFORE THE GAME. If handled properly, enforcement on the field should NEVER be necessary.

The best time to deal with this nonsense is before the game where you can either advise the player he CANNOT PLAY with whatever he's aearing, or point it out to the Head Coach and explain that if that player somehow get's in the game with whatever he's wearing, it will cause a 15 yard USC penalty against the Head Coach (who certified all players were properly equipped).

If it happens after that, the HC deserves the flag.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Many officials act like it is beneath them to enforce such a clearly written rule.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

In our area you see these kinds of adornments all the time. Most crews either aren't aware that certain things are illegal or they don't worry about them. Our performance is only evaluated by coaches and they don't care that players are wearing this stuff so many officials don't either. Until some process is in place that holds officials accountable for things like this I doubt we'll see much of a change.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I don't like flagging kids for this but I beleive we ought to at least tell them to get rid of them or let the coach know to have them do it if its that widespread.
First we don't flag the kids for this. We flag the HC. It's his job (He even is required to affirm this before the game starts) that his team is LEAGALLY equipped.
Second if the crew is doing their job no illegal gear should ever get into the game. Catch it pre-game and get rid of it. Of course you're gonna get some kid who ignores you or flat out is gonna wear what he wants.... I find the designated "getback" coach and give him a list of numbers. I've found that this guy will actually take care of things.
I still smile when I remember one game where I sent a player off to get rid of his illegal stuff. Coach comes unglued. I told him I could have called the 15 yard USL on him instead. His next comment was "I'd rather you did that than disrupt our flow (). MY next comment was "OK coach. Of course I;m seeing SEVERAL others players with illegal gear, and two will get you ejected......)" They had the entire coaching staff inspecting every player for the next severl minutes (gamee still going on)......... I wonder who those "several players" were?

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!