The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:53am

Watch closer. You'll notice they do this at the start of every new series. Just last week, I saw a crew mark progress in a side zone 3/4ths of a football beyond the line-to-gain which was right on a marked hash. After signaling the first down, the ball was relayed to the umpire who then set the ball BACK to the hash which was the original line-to-gain and the chains were set there.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:55am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
So the NFL umpires that have said to do it whenever possible on the start of a new series were....making things up? Smoking crack? All of the above?
I've seen many times where forward progress is marked where it is, without starting on an integral yard line.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Our crew always starts on a yard line except for one turf field in the area that doesn't have hash marks. When the HL or LJ are marking progress on a long run that is way past the LTG they always stop on the closest tick. It all works out in the game and nobody seems to notice and it makes life easier for all.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 10:41am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Watch closer. You'll notice they do this at the start of every new series. Just last week, I saw a crew mark progress in a side zone 3/4ths of a football beyond the line-to-gain which was right on a marked hash. After signaling the first down, the ball was relayed to the umpire who then set the ball BACK to the hash which was the original line-to-gain and the chains were set there.
The advice I've heard from DI and NFL guys is to start a new series on a yard line "when possible". Of course, this means that there are times when it is not possible to do so, and part of the art is knowing when it's possible and when it's not possible.

But anyway, this thread has apparently become a series of "Yeah they do" vs "No they don't" posts... RadioBlue, can you find a video clip of a play similar to what you've just described and post it for us to see?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 11:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
The advice I've heard from DI and NFL guys is to start a new series on a yard line "when possible". Of course, this means that there are times when it is not possible to do so, and part of the art is knowing when it's possible and when it's not possible.

But anyway, this thread has apparently become a series of "Yeah they do" vs "No they don't" posts... RadioBlue, can you find a video clip of a play similar to what you've just described and post it for us to see?
I'd doubt it, but I'll give it a shot. I do remember it was somewhere between the -30 and midfield. In that situation, no one is going to care much about eight inches. (If only I could remember what game I was watching when I saw it.)
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I've seen many times where forward progress is marked where it is, without starting on an integeryard line.
The math teacher in me had to correct this.

But I do agree with most of the conversation that working as an L, setting the chains on a yard line does make it a lot easier when working with the injured (read physically) JV/Varsity players who have no clue what they are doing. I have not watched close enough on NCAA/NFL games to see if this happens at those levels.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 05:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thanks.