The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
untimed down?

on a kickoff, R blocks in the back on a return and the clock runs out in the first quarter. K accepts the penalty from the spot of foul. is there an untimed down?
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes, the only time it would not be an untimed down is if there is an accepted penalty with a loss of down component. This is why you tell the captain/coach that "You might want to decline this penalty because......"

Peace
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 10:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
on a kickoff, R blocks in the back on a return and the clock runs out in the first quarter. K accepts the penalty from the spot of foul. is there an untimed down?
CANADIAN RULING:

Yes. (Except that the penalty is enforced from PBH.)
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 07:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, the only time it would not be an untimed down is if there is an accepted penalty with a loss of down component. This is why you tell the captain/coach that "You might want to decline this penalty because......"

Peace
Well, they'd want to decline it if it was halftime. Matter of fact, there'd be little reason to speak to a captain other than to tell him it's halftime.

In this situation (end of 1st Q), we'd simply run an untimed down after enforcing the penalty.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
The question you want to ask in order to know whether you have an untimed down is: was there an accepted penalty for a foul occurring during the last timed down?

So there are numerous ways you would not have an untimed down, including:
  • penalty declined
  • penalty includes loss of down
  • foul did not occur during the down (before the snap or after ball became dead)

Don't get caught up on whether it was A/K or B/R: that's irrelevant in NFHS.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Well, they'd want to decline it if it was halftime. Matter of fact, there'd be little reason to speak to a captain other than to tell him it's halftime.
Unless, perhaps, R scored.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, the only time it would not be an untimed down is if there is an accepted penalty with a loss of down component. This is why you tell the captain/coach that "You might want to decline this penalty because......"Peace
Another forum brought up a situation, I've blown past for a lot of years because I guess I just didn't envision it, but NF: 3-3-4-b5, "(a period will NOT be extended)...b5: fouls by which enforcement result is a safety."

Consider, B is behind by 3 points, A's ball 4th & 15 on A's 5 yl, 3 seconds left following a 3rd down incomplete pass. A, in 4th down scrimmage kick formation, A3, blocking on rushers, clearly holds, while clearly standing in the EZ. Time expires as the kicker is brought down before getting the kick off.

For 1st and 3rd periods, the period ends, sides are switched and the Free Kick after a safety is the 1st play of the 2nd or 4th periods. If this happens at the end of the 2nd or 4th period, the half, or the game, is over and B would not get the opportunity to receive a free kick as they are NOT entitled to an untimed down.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Another forum brought up a situation, I've blown past for a lot of years because I guess I just didn't envision it, but NF: 3-3-4-b5, "(a period will NOT be extended)...b5: fouls by which enforcement result is a safety."

Consider, B is behind by 3 points, A's ball 4th & 15 on A's 5 yl, 3 seconds left following a 3rd down incomplete pass. A, in 4th down scrimmage kick formation, A3, blocking on rushers, clearly holds, while clearly standing in the EZ. Time expires as the kicker is brought down before getting the kick off.

For 1st and 3rd periods, the period ends, sides are switched and the Free Kick after a safety is the 1st play of the 2nd or 4th periods. If this happens at the end of the 2nd or 4th period, the half, or the game, is over and B would not get the opportunity to receive a free kick as they are NOT entitled to an untimed down.
Absolutely... can't imagine why one would want the reverse.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Unless, perhaps, R scored.
I still wouldn't have to talk to a captain.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 05:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

In this situation (end of 1st Q), we'd simply run an untimed down after enforcing the penalty.
I would still talk to the captain as I would not want to be accused of not informing them of their options. They might not realize the quarter/half/game can extend with an accepted penalty. I think we take the "give them the obvious choice" too far sometimes. You do not have to take 10 minutes to make this decision, just yell to the player, "If you take this we have to run an untimed down." At least they would know and they cannot say you choose not to tell them or did not give them the option.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 11:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I would still talk to the captain as I would not want to be accused of not informing them of their options. They might not realize the quarter/half/game can extend with an accepted penalty. I think we take the "give them the obvious choice" too far sometimes. You do not have to take 10 minutes to make this decision, just yell to the player, "If you take this we have to run an untimed down." At least they would know and they cannot say you choose not to tell them or did not give them the option.

Peace
I think that if the choice is obvious, I'm not messing around with the captains. Do what you want to do.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think that if the choice is obvious, I'm not messing around with the captains. Do what you want to do.
I was not trying to convince you either way. Just stating what I would do that is all.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Absolutely... can't imagine why one would want the reverse.
Ask the NFL rules committee. They specifically allow the team that accepts a penalty resulting in a safety to demand the free kick.