The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Punt and step

NFHS

Team K punts the football. R1 does not field the punt and it is rolling to a stop. K2 steps on the football to stop it from rolling then both teams head for their sidelines. After a couple seconds I blow the whistle.

Is this considered downing a punt? What would you do?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

2-24-2 A kick ends when a player gains possession or when the ball
becomes dead while not in player possession.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Team K punts the football. R1 does not field the punt and it is rolling to a stop. K2 steps on the football to stop it from rolling then both teams head for their sidelines. After a couple seconds I blow the whistle.

No, this is not considered "downing" a punt, however you were correct to blow the play dead when no player attempted to secure possession (4-2-2-e-2).
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:22am
Chain of Fools

2-44: Touching refers to any contact with the ball, i.e., either by touching or being touched by it. Touching by an official in the field of play or end zone is ignored.

You just had first touching by K. Wasn't dead til you saw that no one was trying to secure possession.

Last edited by HLin NC; Wed Sep 07, 2011 at 08:27am.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:

CANADIAN RULING:

Flag thrown for possible 15-yard RZ foul. If K2 was onside, it will be picked up. And both teams wouldn't head for their benches when K touches the ball.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
NFHS

phansen,

In your scenario, what could have R done after K stepped on the ball?

What is the benefit of first touching for R?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
phansen,

I want to make sure I understand since I'll be BJ in a couple weeks for the first time...

An R player could (with the ball just laying there) attempt to secure possession after the K player taps it with his foot. Since there is first touching by K in this case, if such an attempt were to be made, we would need a bean bag. Since R could pick it up and advance, the line gained through advancing would be the next spot, but if R picks it up, fumbles, or runs and is downed behind the first touching spot, we will need the first touching spot since that's where R will want to take the ball to start their series.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
I want to make sure I understand since I'll be BJ in a couple weeks for the first time...

An R player could (with the ball just laying there) attempt to secure possession after the K player taps it with his foot. Since there is first touching by K in this case, if such an attempt were to be made, we would need a bean bag. Since R could pick it up and advance, the line gained through advancing would be the next spot, but if R picks it up, fumbles, or runs and is downed behind the first touching spot, we will need the first touching spot since that's where R will want to take the ball to start their series.
Remember that R loses their right to the spot of first touching if they commit a foul after touching the ball or if the penalty for any foul committed during the down is accepted.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
phansen,

If R would have picked up the ball immediately before I blew my whistle, I would have let them advance and bagged the spot.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar play years ago - punt rolling, K player stepped on it, but it rolled once or twice. R picked it up and returned it 80 yards. K coach is screaming at me, of course. The K player comes to the sideline, and the coach starts screaming at him, "I told you not to do that. That's the third time that's happened this year!" I turned to the coach and told him he had to make up his mind about which of us to yell at. He laughed at me, and went back to yelling at the kid.

Downing means you control the ball.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
CANADIAN RULING:

Flag thrown for possible 15-yard RZ foul. If K2 was onside, it will be picked up. And both teams wouldn't head for their benches when K touches the ball.
If K2 was onside, does his stepping on the ball produce a dribble? Or is that only if he uses a surface other than the sole of his shoe?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 05:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
If K2 was onside, does his stepping on the ball produce a dribble? Or is that only if he uses a surface other than the sole of his shoe?
Yes.

But K2 is by definition onside for this Open Field "Kick", and can therefore recover without penalty. I would interpret that he may continue to keep his foot on the ball, partially because there is nothing that says he can't.