The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Question

It seems as though the newest rage is the hop step, or whatever it's called. I feel very confident in game calling, however, this one continues to baffle me. Any advice from you very seasoned pro's...
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question You might need to elaborate on this one for us.

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
It seems as though the newest rage is the hop step, or whatever it's called. I feel very confident in game calling, however, this one continues to baffle me. Any advice from you very seasoned pro's...
Not sure what you are asking? The rules make it clear what is a "jump stop," and what can be done after a jump stop. Basically all can do after a jump stop is pass and shoot after performing this move.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am a "very seasoned pro". We're all learning something new every day but here are a few tidbits when it comes to calling travelling:

1. Know the travelling rule well
2. Always know the pivot foot
3. If you can't explain it, don't call it - Don't just call a move because it looks funny
4. The "ba-dump" rule - Remember, on a "jump stop" , the rule requires the feet to land simultaneously after jumping off of the pivot foot. If you hear the two feet land in succession with a "ba-dump", you've got travelling.

Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
I'm trying to re-enact the play in head, bear with me.....So if A1 drives to the basket, picks up the ball, takes his two steps, then hops......? This is really hard to talk about without a visual aid...
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm trying to re-enact the play in head, bear with me.....So if A1 drives to the basket, picks up the ball, takes his two steps, then hops......? This is really hard to talk about without a visual aid...
Picture this:

a player catches or pass (or picks up his dribble) with both feet off of the floor. The first foot to touch when he lands is the pivot foot. He lands on pivot foot, steps, leaping off of the other foot. He may now land on both feet provided he lands on both feet simultaneously. Once he lands, neither foot can be a pivot. He may step but he can not place a foot back down.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:
Picture this:

a player catches or pass (or picks up his dribble) with both feet off of the floor. The first foot to touch when he lands is the pivot foot. He lands on pivot foot, steps, leaping off of the other foot. He may now land on both feet provided he lands on both feet simultaneously. Once he lands, neither foot can be a pivot. He may step but he can not place a foot back down.
Sorry, Barry -- that won't work. Once the second foot touches, the first foot becomnes the pivot foot, and moving (lifting then placing on the floor) that foot is travelling.

What you meant to say was: a player catches a pass (or picks up his dribble) with both feet off the floor and lands on one foot, or catches a pass with one foot on the floor. He jumps off of that foot before the other foot hits the floor. HE may now land on both feet proveded he lands simultaneously. Once he lands, neither foot can be a pivot.

Also, note that some coaches call "catching the ball with both feet off the floor and landing on both feet simultaneously" a jump stop. In this case, either foot can be a pivot.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have also had official tell me that they fell it is impossible to land on both feet simultaneously, one foot is always going to land before the other even if by the width of a hair, so they will always call the jump stop a travel.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
I have also had official tell me that they fell it is impossible to land on both feet simultaneously, one foot is always going to land before the other even if by the width of a hair, so they will always call the jump stop a travel.
Oh,my! Another one making up his own rules and interpretations.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I've had more than just one tell me this.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
They are wrong, besides at game speed, isn't kind of hard to measure a hair?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I've had more than just one tell me this.
Well, I actually believe that one foot will hit before the other. So, scientifically and technically, these officials are correct.

However, basketball is not a science. For that provision to be in the prescribed allowable foot movements implies that some sort of stop of this nature is intended to be permitted.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Lets not split hairs. We want to blow the whistle when it is clearly an illegal jump stop. It needs to be obvious to everyone that you have the "ba-dump" as Barry so well explained. Although, I don't believe I have ever heard it being call the "ba-dump", but it works for me.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
[/B]
Well, I actually believe that one foot will hit before the other. So, scientifically and technically, these officials are correct.

[/B][/QUOTE]One foot will hit before the other 100% of the time? And you have scientific and technical proof of this also?

PS- If your answer is "yes", don't bother to post all your supporting datum. I'll accept your answer rather than wade through it. You, I believe!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
Quote:
Picture this:

Sorry, Barry -- that won't work. Once the second foot touches, the first foot becomnes the pivot foot, and moving (lifting then placing on the floor) that foot is travelling.

What you meant to say was: a player catches a pass (or picks up his dribble) with both feet off the floor and lands on one foot, or catches a pass with one foot on the floor. He jumps off of that foot before the other foot hits the floor. HE may now land on both feet proveded he lands simultaneously. Once he lands, neither foot can be a pivot.

Also, note that some coaches call "catching the ball with both feet off the floor and landing on both feet simultaneously" a jump stop. In this case, either foot can be a pivot.
Bob, I think we are both seeing the same play here but it is hard to put into words. The second foot does not have to touch to make the first foot to touch the pivot foot. If a player is in the air when he catches the ball, the first foot to come down, if not simultaneous, is the pivot foot. The step that I described after the pivot foot lands assumes the player had forward momentum and the pivot foot is not lifted before the jump.

Put her eyes really close to your monitor and I'll demonstrate:

There, did you see that?
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Lets not split hairs. We want to blow the whistle when it is clearly an illegal jump stop. It needs to be obvious to everyone that you have the "ba-dump" as Barry so well explained. Although, I don't believe I have ever heard it being call the "ba-dump", but it works for me.
"ba-dump" is a term copyrighted by BCM, Inc. Bart, I'm afraid you owe me a nickel. You should have read the FBI warning at the beginning of this thread.