The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question NFHS case book play 1.5.6...

What is the enforcement spot for failure to properly wear required equipment during the down? According to NFHS case book play 1.5.6 it is the succeeding spot. When you read NFHS rule book 1-5-6 (penalty) it indicates that you use signal S27 and S23. S27 is used for unsportsmanlike conduct and noncontact fouls. My question is this: Where do I find the rule reference for the enforcement of noncontact fouls? I don't have a problem with enforcing them from the succeeding spot, but I want to know where it is found in rule 10 or another rule.

I believe rule 10-4-4a. should be amended to say: "The basic spot is the succeeding spot: a. For an unsportsmanlike foul and/or noncontact foul."

I need to know this because there would be a world of difference between previous spot or succeeding spot enforcement for an equipment foul that occurs during a down (as opposed to prior to the snap or at the snap).
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

Take a look at 2-16-2e that defines an unsportsmanlike foul as a noncontact foul. Therefore, to add the phrase "and/or noncontact foul" makes the sentence redundant since an unsportsmanlike foul is by definition noncontact.

Hopefully, you caught my series last month on penalty enforcement.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good articles Ed!

Thanks Ed for your answer. Your articles were very concise and well-written.

I know that unsportsmanlike conduct fouls are enforced from the succeeding spot.

What I'm searching for is the rule reference that states where other noncontact fouls by players are enforced.

Okay, going back to my question regarding NFHS case book play 1.5.6...

Let's say you see A88 unbuckling his chin strap while the play is in progress. You throw your flag for failure to properly wear required equipment during the down. According to case book play 1.5.6 this 5 yard penalty is enforced from the succeeding spot.

I still can't find the specific rule reference for this under rule 1 or rule 10. Is there one or is the case play the only guidance on this issue?

Thanks for your help.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

You make a good point. Rule 1-5 covers equipment and articles 2,3 and 5 carry a penalty on the head coach as spelled out in 9-8-1h. Rule 1-5-6 and it does not specifically state the unsportsmanlike foul is on the player.

One thing that confuses me and I know two seasons ago I gave a 15-yard from the previous spot for that foul. Can't take that back! This is an exception to USC enforcement because the yardage is only 5 yards.

This sent me back to the Rule Book because I seem to remember sometime in the last 20 years that foul was a live ball foul. But could not find the old rule.

As to your question. All unsportsmanlike fouls are enforced from the succeeding spot (2-16-2e). And by definition an unsportsmanlike foul is a noncontact foul (see titles for Rules 9-5 and 9-8).

Therefore, the citation in 1.5.6 is merely stating penalty enforcement basics.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks Ed!

I agree. The failure to properly wear required equipment while the ball is live is a five yard live ball penalty covered under rule 1-5-6. The enforcement spot for this is what I can't find specifically within rule 10-4-4 or any other rule but I'm still looking. Therefore I have to use case book play 1.5.6 as the authority on this.

The way I remember the difference regarding the 15 versus the 5 yard penalty for equipment is:

The 15 yarder is for missing required equipment (no tail bone protector, missing knee pads, etc.) or illegal equipment (tinted eye shields, etc.) and is assessed at the succeeding spot against the head coach as an unsportsmanlike conduct foul.

The 5 yarder is assessed against the player who has all the required equipment but is not wearing it properly (mouth piece is out, chin strap is unbuckled, etc.) It is either a dead-ball delay of game penalty assessed at the succeeding spot(most preferred method of enforcement), or a live ball penalty that occurs at the snap and is enforced from the previous spot (least preferred method of enforcement), and the last one is a live ball penalty assessed from the succeeding spot (if the player is determined to undo his equipment during the play; to me this would be extremely rare).

Of course, preventive officiating is the best method for preventing these types of fouls. But being the book-worm that I am compels me to seek the answer.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks Ed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
I agree. The failure to properly wear required equipment while the ball is live is a five yard live ball penalty covered under rule 1-5-6. The enforcement spot for this is what I can't find specifically within rule 10-4-4 or any other rule but I'm still looking. Therefore I have to use case book play 1.5.6 as the authority on this.

[/i]

Rule 10-4-4a states the basic spot is the succeeding spot for unsportsmanlike fouls.

Quote:

The way I remember the difference regarding the 15 versus the 5 yard penalty for equipment is:

The 15 yarder is for missing required equipment (no tail bone protector, missing knee pads, etc.) or illegal equipment (tinted eye shields, etc.) and is assessed at the succeeding spot against the head coach as an unsportsmanlike conduct foul.

The 5 yarder is assessed against the player who has all the required equipment but is not wearing it properly (mouth piece is out, chin strap is unbuckled, etc.) It is either a dead-ball delay of game penalty assessed at the succeeding spot(most preferred method of enforcement), or a live ball penalty that occurs at the snap and is enforced from the previous spot (least preferred method of enforcement), and the last one is a live ball penalty assessed from the succeeding spot (if the player is determined to undo his equipment during the play; to me this would be extremely rare).

Of course, preventive officiating is the best method for preventing these types of fouls. But being the book-worm that I am compels me to seek the answer.

I like to think they don't happen!

My former umpire threw a flag for one when the quarterback was running without a mouthpiece. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper and even less so when he explained in the postgame that he saw the QB without the mouthpiece before the snap.

My question. Why didn't you flag him before the snap?

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Feb 19th, 2003 at 01:42 PM]
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

One other thing to remember: Unless you see the player blatantly and deliberately remove the equipment (mouthpiece, chinstrap, tailbone protector) during the play, assume that it became "defective through use" during the course of the play and keep the flag in your pocket!
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Right Guys!!

Agree with all you guys.

If I'm on the flank and see a mouthpiece or chinstrap dangling, what I try to do is call an official's time out and run in to the Ref. I pull him away from the kids and have a discussion that looks like we're adressing some game management issue. If it's a defensive player, I'lll ask the U to join us. Then, I quietly inform them to please tell #13 to get his stinkin mouthpiece in his mouth as they call for a rehuddle.

Neither the coaches, fans, or most players ever knew what hit 'em and we've solved our little problem without laundry. We remiain inconspicuous and only minimally impact the flow of the game.

It's not brain surgery, but sure keeps us out of hot water. I've seen too many newer officials just let the kids play vs. deal with a ticky-tacky infraction, but I'm not man enough to take the chance of that type of liability.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question Any rule book references?

Hi gang. Just following up with my earlier questions about where the rule reference is for noncontact player fouls (not including unsportsmanlike conduct). Let me know if there is one somewhere or if we need to quote the case book on these.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Any rule book references?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
Hi gang. Just following up with my earlier questions about where the rule reference is for noncontact player fouls (not including unsportsmanlike conduct). Let me know if there is one somewhere or if we need to quote the case book on these.
Mike and others,

Take a look at an article under my byline entitled "Unsportsmanlike Conduct or Personal Foul." It goes into what constitutes either or and when you should penalize one versus the other.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Ed, would love to read your article. Where do we find it??
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Ed, would love to read your article. Where do we find it??
Go to Officiating.com. In the box "Search Officiating.com" enter 'unsportsmanlike'. The article is entitled "Unsportsmanlike Conduct or Personal Foul" dated September 18, 2002.

All comments are welcome.