The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am interested in knowing how and when crews warn of the expiration of the 25-second clock.

Do you warn at 5 seconds or 10 seconds?

Is the warning verbal or visual?

How many are on the crew -- 4-man or 5-man? Who gives the warning?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Depends on the crew...

If there are 25 second clocks located on the field visible to both teams our association will provide the 25 second clock operator. In our association we provide qualified clock operators for both the game clock and 25 second clock.

Either the field judge (6 man) or back judge (5 man) is responsible for watching or keeping the 25 second count. If no 25 second clock on the field he will raise his hand at 20 seconds and start chopping the last 5 seconds. The referee will notify the head coaches about this procedure during the pre-game conference.

Not sure about 4 man. I think the line judge or the referee takes the 25 second clock.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Here in Northern Virginia we don't warn them! I run a "loose" play clock and pretty much don't have DOG unless they ask for it. As long as the pace is going well, I only spot check the 25 second clock (I keep it as the R).
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

We don't issue a warning in NJ

Here in NJ during Federation games, we don't issue any 25-second warning. I don't seem to recall a Federation mechanic endorsing such a warning either. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one. In NCAA, as long as there are visible play clocks at each end of the field, there's no warning. If there are no play clocks on the field, the side judge has the play clock (6 or 7 man mechanics) and his approved mechanic is to raise his hand when ten (10) seconds remain on the play clock.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

No warning

We manage the game pretty much like nvfoa15 suggests. No warnings unless it's a critical play and the offense is being very casual. If that's the case, and I'm the R, I've already told the team in the huddle repeatedly "You've got to get in and out faster". No big surprise.

5 man crew - Back Judge has the "loose" 25

4 man crew - R usually keeps it.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm the BJ (5 man), I'm gonna make sure there are no egregious consumptions of time. As nvoa said, a good pace is everything. If they start to slow down a little, I'll give the R a little 'winding' finger and point to the offense and he'll tell the QB to get going a little faster.

In the last 2 minutes or so of each half, the entire stadium is looking at the clock, so it's going to be by the book there. If the R is facing the game clock, he takes it. If the BJ is, he takes it. In my pre-game, I tell everyone to be a clock watcher near the end of halves. It never fails that something kooky happens, and if at least one set of eyes is spying the game clock, crises are averted.

Back to the original question, if I'm the R and they're slow I'll tell the QB discreetly the get in and out of the huddle with a little more urgency. QB's who have to run over to get a play each time are always behind the 8 ball so I may say "15 seconds" to them as they pass me so they know to haul ***.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: No warning

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
We manage the game pretty much like nvfoa15 suggests. No warnings unless it's a critical play and the offense is being very casual. If that's the case, and I'm the R, I've already told the team in the huddle repeatedly "You've got to get in and out faster". No big surprise.

5 man crew - Back Judge has the "loose" 25

4 man crew - R usually keeps it.
Sounds like many crews kind of "go with the flow" which is what I suspected.

Personally, the 25-second clock is always on but seldom invoked. My personal philosophy is keep the play within 25-seconds all game then if the game is on the line in the 4th quarter a delay of game does not become a "homer" call.

I use a Ready-Ref with a buzzer. It warns me at 5-seconds, would love to have that be 10-seconds. Frees me from constantly having to look at my watch.

In the first quarter if a team is slow following the snap, I tell the QB and my wingman tells the coach they are close. Usually, that is all that is needed.

If they do slow down, from my referee position I will shout "10 seconds" and that speeds them up enough.

Rarely is there a delay of game but when it does happen the team knows it.

In a varsity game, I would rather without an amount of reasonableness keep a 25 or 26 or 27 or...-second clock than rely on a coach making the call or looking somewhat biased when a call is made.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I also use the ready-ref timer. It is really a great tool. It costs about 50 bucks and is well worth the money spent. Before I bought the ready-ref, I used the 25 second clock on my watch. It beeped when the time was out. But I realized very quickly that if there is alot of crowd noise I would NOT hear it. So, I had to look at my watch. Well, this was a problem, because I wanna be looking at the action and NOT a watch. The ready-ref takes all the guess work out of it. I personally do not use the 5 second warning. I'm afraid that I might mistake the warning for the actual 25 second mark. Still, even using the ready-ref, I hate calling the D.O.G. If its close, I let it go. Now, if the QB is calling an audible at the line and the time is up, then I flag it. A good flow to the game is essential.

But as the Referee, I already feel enough pressure to get things right everytime. So the ready-ref has made my job so much easier. I highly reccoment this peice of equipment.

P.S.
Sorry I've been gone for so long. Been very busy at work. But I am already starting to get excited about football and its MONTHS away. Hello to everybody.

The Doctor