The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Moderators???

Is anyone watching this board anymore? It just seems like any spammer can post anything here and no one does anything about it? We need to get someone to take over Mick's job.

Peace
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is anyone watching this board anymore? It just seems like any spammer can post anything here and no one does anything about it? We need to get someone to take over Mick's job.

Peace
Really!? The only spam at teh time you posted this was abotu 2 hours old.

And, as has been posted on the basketball and baseball boards you read, all you need to do is report the spam.

To be clear:
1) If it's on the general, baseball or basketball boards, leave it alone. Do not respond to it, do not report it. I read those and will delete the spam, so there's no need to report it (which just sends me an email message and clogs my inbox and delays the time I get here). (Now, if I miss something, and it's there for more than a day or so, report it).

2) If it's on the testing board, just ignore it. I delte those as a matter of course.

3) Report items on other boards, AND THEN ENTER A ONE WORD MESSAGE "REPORTED." Do NOT use the quote feature to do this. If you see that message, do not also report the spam. And, if the same person has spammed multiple messages, or there is multiple sapm in a single thread, do NOT report all the different messages. One message per thread and per spammer is all that is needed.

4) Do not quote or otherwise respond to the spammer.
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 07:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bob,

Not sure why you are testy or defensive about it. This has been brought up before and on this site in particular as there have been many things posted here that was not removed for days. Just trying to figure out what is being done if anything and it is ruining this part of the board. If that bothers you that people have something to say about it, then address the issue and deal with it. It is just a question and since Mick is gone it appears on this board for longer periods of time unless the people post on other boards that you seem to not frequent. Where this is not the case on the basketball and baseball boards that you moderate. And then there are features on this site you do not want everyone to use even though the purpose of those features are to inform the site administration of a problem. There have even been people that have offered to be the moderator of this site on several occasions. I am just wondering if anything is going to be done. It is a basic question. If the answer is no, then OK then. No reason to be offended by the question. I think the question is fair and appropriate considering that this site goes for days without anything being removed. The current stuff has been tame compared to other stuff in the past.

Peace
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's almost like the owners have forgotten to turn out the lights on their way out. This is just a year or so from turning into the end of McGriff's.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 09:18am
Chain of Fools

I started out umping Little League in 1994. I got my first PC in '95 or '96. McGriff's was a great resource for me. Its a shame it folded up. The overseas spam business is just too powerful for an ordinary guy to to try and run a board/

I would be willing to accept the limited capacity to dump spammers. I do not want to get in the position of moderator and arbitrate p!$$-fights between some of us. I admin'd a college sports board for a while and its a PIA.

Some of the ads links placed on here were downright nasty and could probably get some of us in trouble if stumbled over at work.

Last edited by HLin NC; Sun May 22, 2011 at 09:21am.
Old Sun May 22, 2011, 02:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I started out umping Little League in 1994. I got my first PC in '95 or '96. McGriff's was a great resource for me. Its a shame it folded up. The overseas spam business is just too powerful for an ordinary guy to to try and run a board/

I would be willing to accept the limited capacity to dump spammers. I do not want to get in the position of moderator and arbitrate p!$$-fights between some of us. I admin'd a college sports board for a while and its a PIA.

Some of the ads links placed on here were downright nasty and could probably get some of us in trouble if stumbled over at work.
This statement is kind of the point of the post. We are talking about a legit subject and in the thread are a bunch of pictures that would not only be offensive, but you cannot observe at work or other places like a library. I just do not understand why something cannot be done. It is obvious this site does not have the same observation that the other boards do. I wouldn't want their job either, just concerned. But I guess you cannot show that without some getting defensive.

Peace