The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Part of the problem is you misunderstand the rule. There is no requirement that there be a "safety" issue unless you are calling roughing. Running into does not require that. It just requires the kicker be displaced. In the Eagles-Bucs game, if you are referring to Gramatica's acting, that was clearly him trying to draw a foul. Yes he was run into but the defender tried to prevent him from being displaced by holding him up. Gramatica fought to get loose so he could then flop.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
Part of the problem is you misunderstand the rule. There is no requirement that there be a "safety" issue unless you are calling roughing. Running into does not require that. It just requires the kicker be displaced. In the Eagles-Bucs game, if you are referring to Gramatica's acting, that was clearly him trying to draw a foul. Yes he was run into but the defender tried to prevent him from being displaced by holding him up. Gramatica fought to get loose so he could then flop.
If he was run into then it should have been a foul. If it wasn't a foul in the Eagles-Bucs game, then it should not have been a foul in the Steelers-Titans game. Both kickers were run into; both kickers were displaced (displaced being contact moved them from their spot). Nedney made himself fall to the ground while Gramatica tried to fall to the ground but was held up by the defender who ran into him!!!

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 01:43am
Small Business Owner

Red face Its the rule DeRock, Deal with it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986
In my opinion, the Steelers-Titans call by Blum was a bad call because contact was slight and did not present a safety issue for the kicker (again, my opinion).
In the likely event you missed the earlier post,

NFL Rules - Page 80
Rule 12, Section 2, Article 6, Supplemental Note (2)
Any contact with the kicker by a single defensive player who has not touched the kick is RUNNING INTO THE KICKER.

It's a "Rulebook Call" Derock, which is why you will never understand or be able to grasp the concept!

Nuff said!
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Its the rule DeRock, Deal with it!

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
In my opinion, the Steelers-Titans call by Blum was a bad call because contact was slight and did not present a safety issue for the kicker (again, my opinion).

NFL Rules - Page 80
Any contact with the kicker by a single defensive player who has not touched the kick is RUNNING INTO THE KICKER.

It's a "Rulebook Call" Derock, which is why you will never understand or be able to grasp the concept!

Nuff said!
OK KWH, I grasp the concept. But now what I don't understand is why this same concept doesn't apply to the Eagles-Bucs game when the defender ran into the kicker. Will you please explain that one?

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Its the rule DeRock, Deal with it!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:

NFL Rules - Page 80

Nuff said!
OK KWH, I grasp the concept. But now what I don't understand is why this same concept doesn't apply to the Eagles-Bucs game when the defender ran into the kicker. Will you please explain that one?

Because both officials were using good game sense and good judgment

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Poosh
Just my two cents. It makes total sense to me. The first instance there was an extra step or two by the defensive player and collided with the kicker. The kicker did act but there was contact and it was not "avoided" by the defensive player.

On the second one. There was shown intent to stop his forward movement and protect the kicker. the kicker actually moved to free himself from the help of the defense to keep him up and flopped.

That's what I saw and with my knowledge at this time that is the way I would have called it.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Poosh
Just my two cents. It makes total sense to me. The first instance there was an extra step or two by the defensive player and collided with the kicker. The kicker did act but there was contact and it was not "avoided" by the defensive player.

On the second one. There was shown intent to stop his forward movement and protect the kicker. the kicker actually moved to free himself from the help of the defense to keep him up and flopped.

That's what I saw and with my knowledge at this time that is the way I would have called it.
The only thing that is relevant in these two calls is the defensive player collided with the kicker. The collision is what prompted the call in the first situation and it should have been the same in the second. The fact that the defender held him up to prevent him from falling should have no impact on the call than Nedney's act.

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In your view of life, football and officiating...you are correct. Enjoy the rarified air up there???