The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Unhappy Knickers done in Ohio

We just got word that this will be the last year for knickers in Ohio. Beginning next year, black pants will be mandatory. Both with long and short sleeves. They will also be required wear for the championships this year. I'm kind of sad to see the knickers go. I guess I'm just a bit of a traditionalist.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
We just got word that this will be the last year for knickers in Ohio. Beginning next year, black pants will be mandatory. Both with long and short sleeves. They will also be required wear for the championships this year. I'm kind of sad to see the knickers go. I guess I'm just a bit of a traditionalist.
Thanks, Bob. My crew chief is going to be PISSED! But I'm glad.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sounds like more and more places are doing away with the knickers. I'm glad to hear it. I wonder how long before we do away with them entirely?
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Always thought that knickers looked horrible...especially compared to the black pants.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

That is great news...we are trying to just get the opportunity to wear the black pants with short sleeves in WI.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 12:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
That is great news...we are trying to just get the opportunity to wear the black pants with short sleeves in WI.
You mean "with the state's blessing"?

I'm still wondering what happened last year when the interpreter told us at the state rules meeting that black shorts were OK for this year, we all bought black shorts, then a memo came out saying black shorts were never formally approved.

I still think the state, if it feels the need to be in the business of worrying about what people wear, should crack down on people wearing shorts in varsity games.
Old Mon May 09, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

This new policy is part of a larger mandate known as the "Honig Rule". In coming years we will have blue pants for prostate awareness, pink pants for breast cancer; "live strong" yellow for cancer support. There will be home shirts (white with black stripes) and away (black with white stripes). Also, during the playoffs officials will be required to wear horizontal stripes. In two years all these changes will be voided and knickers will be back. Fortunately, Honig's will be stocking all of these new uniforms.
Old Tue May 10, 2011, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I ordered a few items from Honigs in January (spending christmas money) and I held off getting a new pair of knickers. Glad I did not order them now! My "Friday night" knickers will be ok another year.
Old Thu May 12, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

We just got approval in GA to start wearing the black pants. Of course, we just got an email last week saying to hold off on ordering because the state wants us to have the GHSA logo embroidered and those are only available from....you guessed it, Honig's.
Old Thu May 12, 2011, 12:25pm
Chain of Fools

How long before the other suppliers start threatening lawsuits and anti-trust collusion charges? Some, not all, state associations are quasi-governmental agencies.

A former supplier in the Charlotte area that used to attend the state clinic and sell uniforms and supplies has reportedly stated that the Big H put him out of business with his company's cozy affiliation.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Texas is probably a year away from declaring knickers a year away from being obsolete! Seriously, I think this year, knickers are default and black pants optional, in 2012, it will be the other way around, and in 2013-4, knickers will be gone.

Thank God!!

As crews wear the lighter weight version this year and realize they are no hotter than knickers AND they don't have to buy 2 pair of new socks every year (not to mention spray and wash for the knickers), even the most ardent knickers supporters will admit defeat. I do suggest HS football going to the wider 2" stripe, though. Looks better with the black pants. 1" still looks fine in hoops.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Wish they would do away with knickers in Tennessee.
Old Sun Jun 05, 2011, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=

As crews wear the lighter weight version this year and realize they are no hotter than knickers AND they don't have to buy 2 pair of new socks every year (not to mention spray and wash for the knickers). [/QUOTE]

TWO pair ?! Is that all ?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

We do have a lot of games on turf, and the newer installations don't give us fits with the black crap "molded" to the socks like a few years ago.

Did I mention I hate the football socks?
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 05:45am
Chain of Fools

Rumor has it here that knickers will only be worn at MS and youth level, if at all.