The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Hula Bowl, off-season conditioning, etc.

This year I'll be the auxiliary box man in the annual Hula Bowl for the 4th straight year (1st year I was the penalty recorder). Its a lot of fun; I get to stay on the sideline and enjoy the pre-game, half-time and post-game shows. The only bummer is that I have to stay put at the previous spot with the prior down number showing in the box until the referee blows the next ready-for-play. This includes punts, long passes, etc. Sometimes I'm just getting to the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

I don't do any other sports besides football. Right now I exercise at least 4 or 5 times per week: mostly spinning (cardio work and lower body strength training on a stationary bike), sports conditioning (a one-hour combination of aerobics, step, weights, agility drills, cardio-kickboxing, lunges, squats, push-ups, etc.) and jogging/walking.

My problem is I can't seem to drop any weight. I would like to lose about 25 pounds. Any suggestions out there?
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Stop drinking 12 beers immediately following your workout.

But seriously, folks...

How much do you weigh, how tall are you and how old are you?
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Why lose 25 pounds?

I'm 5-9, 177 pounds which by insurance company measurements is considered slighty obese. I only laugh when those weight control tables tell me to cut my diet and exercise. I'm benching 250 pounds and physically look like maybe 160 pounds witha resting heart rate in the 60s.

Michael Jordan is another good example that by insurance company tables is overweight.

My advice is look at your heart rate, physical condition, etc. A good exercise program with a proper diet that sounds like what you are doing goes a long way.

Last thing to look at is percentage of fat. I think a man can safely handle about 15 percent. Anything more is not good. There are several ways to do the test, pinch test or water test. Find an expert to perform it.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Green bottles...

AB, that was a good one! But you bring up a very good point... I'm not a big consumer of fermented beverages but perhaps I need to watch my intake of these fluids after 6pm...

My biggest problem areas is diet. I need to drink more water. So I started keeping a 32 oz. bottle of water on my desk. I drink 32 oz. in the a.m. and 32 oz. in the p.m. And I started bringing this water bottle with me when I exercise. In the NFHS football rule book under points of emphasis there is a good discussion of how much water to drink before, during and after exercise. So I'm making the effort to drink 96 oz. of water per day.

As for exercise, I'm doing enough but my question is timing... Somebody told me that exercise in the morning is more efficient because it increases your metabolism for the rest of the day. The reason this is important is because a higher metabolism is like adding wood to your fire: your body will burn more calories throughout the rest of the day even when you are just sitting around.

Last thing somebody told me was that you should curtail all food intake after 6pm. Sometimes I'm not done with dinner until 7 or 8pm. How much is this affecting my weight?

Ed, how do I go about measuring body fat? Let me know if I can do my own home testing or if I should seek the advice of a health care professional.

Does anyone have any other books or articles to suggest on these subjects?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

about 5 years ago I was 283lbs. Im 6'2". Someone had told me that the best way to lose weight was by not eating after 6pm. Well I listened to this person and im now 238lbs and have been at this weight for the last 5years My weght goes anywhere from 238lbs to 230lbs now and I feel great and look great.(modest aren't I) Here what I did Mike.

Morning (I get up around 4am and eat about 6am)- breakfast - eat anything you want.

around 9am I would eat my daily candy bar( I have to have this)

afternoon around 4pm I would eat a good dinner.

after dinner I would maybe have a popsicle or ice cream or a water ice (something wet)

the only changes I made were I cut out all soda and drank a lot of water.

within 2 weeks you'll see changes in your face and stomach.

I did this for about 5 months till I got down to the weight I liked. 230's

now I pretty much follow the same routine but Im not as strict and do go out for late dinners once in awhile.

try it and see how it works for you.

good luck
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

HSWH,

Don't you eat anything for lunch? Otherwise, sounds like a sensible program. I am assuming that you're not loading up on a lot of unhealthy foods (fries, candy, etc.). Any exercise?

Also, you forgot to mention that you're svelte 230lb is riding on a 5'4" frame. lol
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Green bottles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds
As for exercise, I'm doing enough but my question is timing... Somebody told me that exercise in the morning is more efficient because it increases your metabolism for the rest of the day. The reason this is important is because a higher metabolism is like adding wood to your fire: your body will burn more calories throughout the rest of the day even when you are just sitting around.
Working out at night increases my metabolism while I sleep- I'm not sure it really matters all that much. The best time to exercise is when you can keep the commitment. If I had to workout in the morning, I'd probably blow it off a lot and the benefits would be lower. Working out in the evenings fits with my routine so that's when I do it.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

That's the only time I can get to the gym - after the kids are in bed, about 8:30. The morning/evening thing is a non-issue. Look at the entire 24 hours.

I always gain some girth right after the season because I eat the same amount and don't do all the games along with them. I used to run outside in the winter but this winter has been a killer (75 inches of snow already and counting) so I hit the treadmill. Man, running is one boring exercise, but effective. 3-5 times a week running 2 miles each time with a 5 minute warmup and warm down, weights every other day, eat a lot of whole grains, low fat stuff, lean meat if any, don't deprive yourself of anything so you crave it. If I do overeat one day, I repeat the words 'pay the price' in my head as I force myself to do extra mileage on the treadmill.

I don't buy into the whole water thing - it just makes me pee every 5 minutes. There was an article I read a few months ago that this might be a myth. If it makes you feel good, do it, but I just feel like I'm sloshing around with a couple gallons in my belly all the time. I drink milk and OJ. Going to Florida in February and don't want to be Tubby McFatty at the beach - been training hard.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

JMN,

No I don't eat any lunch, the candy bar snack is my lunch. As for exercise I work at a school with no elevator and it has 5 floors so im up and down all day. I also walk a lot.

Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Green bottles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Simonds

Ed, how do I go about measuring body fat? Let me know if I can do my own home testing or if I should seek the advice of a health care professional.

Does anyone have any other books or articles to suggest on these subjects?
I would leave body fat measurements to the experts. The water test would be the most reliable because it meansures specific gravity of the entire body. The pinch test measures areas where you might store weight.

I try to exercise on an empty stomach in order to burn stored fat. My belief and it is only my belief based upon what I have read is the BMR -- Basic Metabolic Rate -- is keyed to your range of activity/consumption. In other words, exercise when it is best for you.

There is one exercise I engage in following and just preceding the football season and that is step aerobics. Once a week for one hour, a good cardiovascular workout plus your feet and body are in motion. The only drawback is being the only man in a class of women.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Re: Green bottles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
The only drawback is being the only man in a class of women.
What is the drawback?
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the women. If they look anything like the women in the aerobics classes I've taken....yikes.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Women and men...

Ed, I know what you mean...

I have not taken a full-on step class but the sports conditioning class uses the steps for lunges, aerobic foot-work, and other movements. What I like about working with the steps is that you develop strength and foot-work at the same time. Its great for working on quick feet which is necessary at the umpire position and it can't hurt you at the other positions either...

Most of the aerobic type classes at the Y are populated by women. The guys tend to hang around the weight room or they ride the exercise bikes and watch the ladies on the spin bikes. They chide me for "crossing over to the other side" but I just laugh and say "come on in, the waters warm!".

Some observations I have about the ladies: They seem to be very dedicated to their routines and they tolerate pain a lot better then the guys. Plus they seem to have more flexibility and gracefulness. For me who is a guy with trips over his own shoe laces the aerobic classes have been the most challenging for me.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

You tend to see the same women over and over - at the same weight. Maybe they tough it out in class and down a box of ring dings on the ride home.

I took a class this last spring that incorporated weights and resistance bands in the workout. Killed me - the lady who taught it was seven months pregnant at the time and has my eternal respect.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Green bottles...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

I try to exercise on an empty stomach in order to burn stored fat. My belief and it is only my belief based upon what I have read is the BMR -- Basic Metabolic Rate -- is keyed to your range of activity/consumption. In other words, exercise when it is best for you.
Not quite true about eating on an empty stomach. Your fat storage is a lot like a checking account - it doesn't matter whether you write a big check on Monday or a bunch of small checks throughout the week - come Friday you're going to be overdrawn on your account.

Calories (energy) can only be stored as fat by the human body. If you burn 500 Calories, then eat a 500 Calorie meal, it is no different than eating 500 Calories then working out to burn 500 Calories.

Your metabolism, however, might be slightly different before/after eating, so that it could be easier or quicker to burn those 500 Calories. Of course, YMMV, so it may be better for one person to work out before and one person after a meal.