The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Really? Youth coaches who complain about calls? Wow, never run across that before.

Do they let fly with the "Let 'em play!" right before they scream "They're holding my end!!"? Never seen that either.

[Edited by ABoselli on Dec 29th, 2002 at 08:35 PM]
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

3 man crews on 2 fields.

It doesn't matter what you call Aboselli, if its against them they will complain. If its against the other team they will cheer. However, if you throw too many flags you will not be received well by anyone even if they are legitimate calls. You will probably here a cry from the sideline "This ain't the NFL"..."Somebody needs to take his flag"...."Where'd these officials come from because we need to send them back"...."Let 'em Play!" By halftime one of the coaches will probably ask me to get you guys to ease up a little. [/B][/QUOTE]

That’s because you've been their pet ref officiating games fan stile and let them get away with this crap. Sounds like these coaches have you pretty much under their control .Your game sense and rules knowledge is based on Sunday in front of the TV stile of officiating and I bet they love it. If they'd had trained officials working games according to the rules who used their judgment based on those rules, there’s no doubt in my mind that these incredibly difficult youth games and over demanding coaches you’ve told us about would be a hell of a lot less difficult to handle. If you’ve worked this league for as long as you say, I’m sure they’re used to manipulating you to do their bidding. No wonder you make so much money. I bet they do love you. When does the coach pay you, before or after the game?
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Doc and others:
Just a thought....The post season tournament here in Maryland I mentioned earlier in my posts is an annual event. I have been one of the officials for the past two years and know the coach who holds the tournament. I'm sure I can convince him to allow officials in from out of town to participate in next years tournament. He really doesn't care as long as 6 officials show up to call the games. The tournament pays cash upon conclusion of the games for the total number of games you worked (normally around 20 games at $35 per game). Depending on how far you would have to travel, it probably wouldn't be worth your time but then again maybe you would just like the opportunity to travel to another state and officiate some games and take some shots at Derock the Anti-Ref! Anyone interested?

derock - You seem to get excited every time you mention how much money you make officiating . Don't you know officials who do it for the money are the worst officials. Also , you can convince a tournament director to accept officials on your word !!! The director must not CARE.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joe bonner

derock - You seem to get excited every time you mention how much money you make officiating . Don't you know officials who do it for the money are the worst officials. Also , you can convince a tournament director to accept officials on your word !!! The director must not CARE.
Making money to do something you love to do doesn't excite you? Maybe I'm just the odd ball here but I didn't think anyone would be interested if it were a volunteer tournament in another STATE. I'm sure we all love officiating football but I'm not going to volunteer to work a charity tournament in Texas if I live in Maryland.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I prefer crew assignments.That is what we do in the Southwestern association.My white hat is also our crew chief.Myself [umpire],white hat and linejudge work together all year long.JrH,Frosh,JrV..Sometimes we will pick up a inexperienced offical as a 4th. and work with them..Two other officals live out of town so they drive in, then we always try to ride together.We aways use a 5 man crew..We have done 6 man crews before.But the IHSAA will only allow 5 man crews in state tournament.White hat books all our games during the season,then the state tells you were your crew will be assigned.I`m also the commissioner of Tri-County Youth FootBall Conference. [southwest Indiana] Sometime my ex-high school referee` [wich are all varsity players]want to get into officiating.Western Kentucky[1-AA CHAMPS] starting center Eric Ravellette[6-1 310] was a player and a official in our conference...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't derock say it was 30.00 a game before??? now its up to 35.00 a game. Derock did they give you a raise when you got home?

also 3 man games 6 games a day 2 days

derock don't you get tired?

what are the weights of these teams derock??

in our association these are our assisgments:

55lbs- 2 man game 8 min. quarters- $27.00
65lbs- 3 man game 8 min. quarters- $29.00
75lbs- 3 man game 10min. quarters- $30.00
90lbs- 3 man game 10min. quarters- $32.00
105lbs- 4 man game 10min. quarters- $34.00
125lbs- 4 man game 10min. quarters- $36.00
145lbs- 4 man game 10min. quarters- $38.00

cyo 5th & 6th graders 4 man game 8 min. quarters- $36.00
cyo 7th & 8th graders 4 man game 10 min. quarters- $38.00

all youth playoffs and championship gams 4 man games

only time we work crews are high school games and that comes from a differnt association.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:24pm
Small Business Owner

Lightbulb Is it possible someone in Maryland is beginning to see the light ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986

Maybe I'm just the odd ball here...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating Youth games in Maryland would be a blast, but, I'd have to buy a round trip flight from Portland, Oregon.... Wouldn't come out ahead on that deal.....

Now if the tournament was on the West Coast, I could afford to travel to do it.... But...
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sign me up for the tournament!

Hey "Rock", I hope you don't mind me calling a roughing the passer call on a Hail Mary play by the offense if I see it! -lol-

Better yet, guys, can I just work the chains? I would be laughing so hard when observing the conversations between the Ref and the crew, that I don't think I would be able to compose myself between plays.

You guys are too funny!!

p.s. can we go out for beer and crabs after the game?
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Game in Maryland, TXMike I feel you could brush up on the federation rules and do a great job.