The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

theisey,
read what derock says, THE YOUTH LEAGUE I OFFICIATE IN USES NFHS RULES, DPI 10 YARDS AND AUTO 1ST DOWN. he never said it was a youth league modifaction. which we all know leagues have. when he re'does his enforcement of the rule he goes back to the 10 yard penalty again and places the ball on the 30.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighSchoolWhiteHat
txmike,

are you saying that tripping is legal?

Yes, according to what I have read here in this forum tripping the runner is legal. In the games, i officiate I'm tossing my flag if I see a defender uses his foot or leg to trip or tackle anyone. You can trip the runner with your hands but not your feet.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
theisey,
read what derock says, THE YOUTH LEAGUE I OFFICIATE IN USES NFHS RULES, DPI 10 YARDS AND AUTO 1ST DOWN. he never said it was a youth league modifaction. which we all know leagues have. when he re'does his enforcement of the rule he goes back to the 10 yard penalty again and places the ball on the 30.
and that's a modification.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986
Quote:
txmike,

are you saying that tripping is legal?

Yes, according to what I have read here in this forum tripping the runner is legal. In the games, i officiate I'm tossing my flag if I see a defender uses his foot or leg to trip or tackle anyone. You can trip the runner with your hands but not your feet.
### and why not? The rules say tripping the runner is legal and the includes feet, hands, arms , torso.
Is is another youth modification??
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious. Can I ask the credentials of the individuals making posts in this room? Are you certified, what level, and for how long? Also, how many games have you actually worked?

Me first,
I have worked 7 years as a member of the suburban football officials association. During that time, I have officated over 490 youth games from ankle-biter or pee-wee teams (ages 5 and 6) up to Youth unlimited (ages 13 and 14, 150lbs and over). We use NFHS rules with modifications from 4 different counties. I am 1 of 3 on my crew with most of my experience being the line judge but have also worked over 100 games as a white hat.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm a varsity official, I've lost count of the total games, but varsity high school games, I'm up to about 50, maybe more. I hope that's good enough.

You can trip the runner with your tongue if you feel like it. Nowhere in the rules book does it say you can't trip with your feet/legs/knees/whatever.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Here's the reference (NFHS)

I have considerably less experience but I DO know how to open the rule book. The sections that are relevant are...

5-1-2a

and

10-1-3

First and 10!! [I'll refrain from repeating the text here to encourage everyone to open (or find) their books.]

Tripping?!?!? Defined in 2-44 and specifically states "...an opponent, who is not the runner..."
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Please tell me why theres a singal for tripping?

you can not trip a runner trying to make a tackle.
15 yards personal foul.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

ok ,
Now im not trying to be rude or anything but derock you just said youre one of three officials on your crew and you work mostly as a line judge? All three man crews I know of have a ref/ump/linesmen never heard of a linejudge on a 3 man.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. Bosselli,
you are right you can trip a runner with youre tounge, arms and everything but your leg. You can not stick youre leg out to make a tackle. Hell even the NFL doesn't allow it. Are you telling me if a player was lying on the ground and stuck he leg or foot out to try and make a tackle, thats legal? Thats called a personal foul unsportsmanlike 15 yards.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

and don't forget to give the tripping signal
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Post There's a signal because...

It's a foul.

9-3-7. A player shall not trip an opponent who is not the runner.

All together now... **WHO IS NOT THE RUNNER**

And in case you missed it there, go to the definition of tripping and find those same 5 words.

Signal 46.

Just my opinion but I think the signal for tripping in hockey is cooler.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I don't need to refer to the rule book on tripping. I have enough game knowledge and experience as a player, coach, and official to know you can not use your feet to initiate ANY form of contact on any player offense or defense. If tripping, the use of your feet to tackle a runner, is allowed then I don't see the difference in using your feet to kick the runner in the knee, stomach, shoulder, or chest in an attempt to bring him down. I know the latter sounds crazy but so is intentionally using your feet to trip the runner. Tripping and kicking action are one in the same. They both involve the raising of ones foot or feet to strike or initiate contact with another player. Furthermore tripping is not an act of good sportsmanship, if you understand the game of football and not just what you misinterpreted in the rule book then you will know tripping has no place in the game of football. Trust me, this is illegal!
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Tripping the runner is, by definition, NOT tripping, so it IS legal. Tripping anyone else is not legal which is why there is a signal. Yes in the NFL it is ILLEGAL to trip the runner. But it is not illegal in NCAA and based on what the knowledgeable guys here have said, it is not illegal in Fed either.

For Derock: I have officiated in Texas for 13 seasons. I have officiated in excess of 250 youth league games, 250 subvarsity games, over 100 varsity games, 4 college games, and probably 30 "semi-pro" games. I work mainly as a referee or back judge. I hope you do not base your opinion of an official on the number of games or number of years a guy has officiated. As I alluded to in an earlier post, there is a big difference between doing 25 games "right" and 490 games "WRONG".
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mr. Bosselli,
you are right you can trip a runner with youre tounge, arms and everything but your leg. You can not stick youre leg out to make a tackle. Hell even the NFL doesn't allow it. Are you telling me if a player was lying on the ground and stuck he leg or foot out to try and make a tackle, thats legal? Thats called a personal foul unsportsmanlike 15 yards.
### Well if he doesn't tell you yes, then I'm going to tell you yes.. A runner can be tripped and not be called a foul.

Yes, the NFL does not allow this kind of tackle. But Yes, the NCAA and NF do allow it.
Do not equate a leg being thrust out to trip with a kicking action by a player. You can tell the difference and kicking a player, any player is a foul.