The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just after the snap

Can a DLman swipe the ball after the center starts the snap and force a fumble? Is it legal in Fed? Look for support either way.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is legal but it would be extremely hard for it to occur. If it happened it would probably be encroachment on the defense or a snap infraction.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

It is NOT legal in NFHS. Either a snap infraction has occured or it is encroachment.

Some will consider UC if it is encroachment and it happens more than once!
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

No idea what would be the Fed equivalent reference, but for NCAA, Rule 2-23-1-f states
Quote:
If the ball is touched by Team B during a legal snap, the ball remains dead and Team B is penalised.
If the ball is touched by Team B during an illegal snap, the ball remains dead and Team A is penalised.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2010, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Anyone know a fed ruling?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Thanks. Anyone know a fed ruling?
There is no NFHS ruling or rule against such as the NCAA has. If a defender can pull it off without encroaching, it would be legal, if the snap was legal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I had two friends, they coached against each other in the first round of HS playoffs and one kid pulled it off twice. Once the defense scooped and scored. I told them I would lol into it. Thanks again.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRH View Post
It is NOT legal in NFHS. Either a snap infraction has occured or it is encroachment.
No...it could happen though it is not likely.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 08:13am
Chain of Fools

Aw jeez, not this again.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I did not intend to begin a philosophical debate on the issue, I just could not find a rules reference either way. I know how things work on the field, but I was just looking for something in Fed Speak.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I only use NCAA rules and for us it's clear that it's illegal. I am curious with the Fed rules if you guys are saying is legal in Fed rules. At what point can a team B player enter the neutral zone? I would think that it would be the same as NCAA where they cannot enter the neutral zone until after the snap. If the ball has not yet left the snappers hands, then the snap is still in progress so any player who swipes at the ball is in the neutral zone. Is that not correct for Fed as well?

Last edited by JasonTX; Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 07:20pm.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I had 2 teams this year try it during the last few kneel downs in 2 contests....told the nose tackle that was attaempting it that if he broke the plain with his hand he'd get pinched for the encroachment. Put an end to it in both cases....FYI these were JV and FR games.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I only use NCAA rules and for us it's clear that it's illegal. I am curious with the Fed rules if you guys are saying is legal in Fed rules. At what point can a team B player enter the neutral zone? I would think that it would be the same as NCAA where they cannot enter the neutral zone until after the snap. If the ball has not yet left the snappers hands, then the snap is still in progress so any player who swipes at the ball is not in the neutral zone. Is that not correct for Fed as well?
B can enter the neutral zone at the snap. The snap starts when the ball is first moved other than an adjustment. So a B player could hit the ball during the snap but he would have to be extremely fast to do so. Most likely he would have to guess the snap count and not react off seeing the ball move.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I only use NCAA rules and for us it's clear that it's illegal. I am curious with the Fed rules if you guys are saying is legal in Fed rules. At what point can a team B player enter the neutral zone? I would think that it would be the same as NCAA where they cannot enter the neutral zone until after the snap. If the ball has not yet left the snappers hands, then the snap is still in progress so any player who swipes at the ball is in the neutral zone. Is that not correct for Fed as well?
Are you saying that in NCAA players can't enter the NZ until the ball has left the snapper's hands? First I've heard of that in any football anywhere, any time!
Old Wed Nov 17, 2010, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Are you saying that in NCAA players can't enter the NZ until the ball has left the snapper's hands? First I've heard of that in any football anywhere, any time!
Poor choice in words on my part. Hitting the ball in NCAA before it leaves the snappers hands is offside. You are correct that when the snap begins a player may enter the NZ, but not slap the ball while it's in the process of being snapped.