The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Every kickoff with the wind at the kicker's back ended up going over my head (at the goal line). I saw a punt last night that started going way out of bounds and ended up being blown back to the middle of the field.

At least it didn't rain.

Weird, weird game. The visiting team got stopped 4th and goal about a foot short of the goal line. Later in the half they were driving and fumbled and the home team picked it up and went 85 yards the other way for a TD. Those 2 scores and the resulting scores the other way could've made it a very different game. It was 28-6 at the half.

The home team decided to stay in the locker room the second half and escaped by hanging on and scoring late. On a TD play we had sideline interference (5 yards) on the offense and a PF face mask on the defense. You should've heard the PA guy try to explain that one. Of course, I had to go over to the defense's sideline on that one to explain it to him.

I wore UA Cold Gear up top and on the bottom, an UA hood, and a pair of UA gloves. I looked like a walking billboard. With all that on, I was comfy. Of course, watching the highlights on TV, saw a lot of crews wearing striped coats. Could anything possibly look worse than a football official wearing a striped jacket to work a game?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

We had one punt caught by K 9 yards behind the LOS. But the kicker had the wind at his back!!!!! That was one play we never anticipated.

A few passes, but pretty much everything on the ground in a running clock game. So nothing spectacular - only two lost hats and it was the same guy.

I don't allow jackets - we wear black before the game but don't reverse them unless it's a downpour. I just wore three layers, no gloves, and actually worked up a bit of a sweat.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2 View Post
This should be fun!!!! Crazy things on kick plays, no passing, throw the flag and have it blown back into your face. Be prepared for some wacky stories from Wisconsin tomorrow.
We had two 70 yard punts and five 5-15 yard punts. A 52 yard wind aided FG...and passes that looked more like ducks. (Waukesha)
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Every kickoff with the wind at the kicker's back ended up going over my head (at the goal line). I saw a punt last night that started going way out of bounds and ended up being blown back to the middle of the field.

At least it didn't rain.

Weird, weird game. The visiting team got stopped 4th and goal about a foot short of the goal line. Later in the half they were driving and fumbled and the home team picked it up and went 85 yards the other way for a TD. Those 2 scores and the resulting scores the other way could've made it a very different game. It was 28-6 at the half.

The home team decided to stay in the locker room the second half and escaped by hanging on and scoring late. On a TD play we had sideline interference (5 yards) on the offense and a PF face mask on the defense. You should've heard the PA guy try to explain that one. Of course, I had to go over to the defense's sideline on that one to explain it to him.

I wore UA Cold Gear up top and on the bottom, an UA hood, and a pair of UA gloves. I looked like a walking billboard. With all that on, I was comfy. Of course, watching the highlights on TV, saw a lot of crews wearing striped coats. Could anything possibly look worse than a football official wearing a striped jacket to work a game?
We talked about that over a beer last night. You must've seen the Fox 6 Blitz. Did you notice a few guys had on a winter type head wrap over the ears..? Jeepers....what do they do when it actually gets cold out?
I've worn a jacket twice in all these years. Once in Port Washington when there was a 30 MPH wind coming off the lake...bringing the WC to about 20 degrees or less and a game in Hilbert...which was even colder. I had the same get-up as you, minus the head sleeve, and was actually quite comfy in Brown Deer.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Wed Oct 27, 2010 at 01:33pm.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 01:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
We talked about that over a beer last night. You must've seen the Fox 6 Blitz. Did you notice a few guys had on a head wrap over the ears..? Jeepers....waht do they do when it actually gets cold out?
I've worn a jacket twice in all these years. Once in Port Washington when there was a 30 MPH wind coming off the lake...bringing the WC to about 20 degrees or less and a game in Hilbert...which was even colder. I had the same get-up as you and was actually quite comfy in Brown Deer.
Nah, Madison area. I record the 3 network 10PM newscasts. We got about 15 seconds on all of them.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Dark team won the toss and deferred last night. Light team chose to defend the South goal. When we tried to talk the spokesman into taking the ball, his exact words were; "I know...we'll be kicking both halves. We want to pin them with the wind." Had an almost constant 35+ wind out of the S-SW last night, the entire game.
Now see, unless you're expecting the wind to shift or die down, there's no advantage to starting with the wind as there is with games where you don't change ends with the quarters.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

One Sat. in the 1970s there was a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico that produced two 67-yard FGs (NCAA) and one 69-yarder (Abilene Christian, NAIA).
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Now see, unless you're expecting the wind to shift or die down, there's no advantage to starting with the wind as there is with games where you don't change ends with the quarters.
I don't understand why teams make such a big deal over which goal they defend. They are going to defend both of them for half the game so it shouldn't matter much.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I don't understand why teams make such a big deal over which goal they defend. They are going to defend both of them for half the game so it shouldn't matter much.
Easy answer. Momentum. Had a game last night where one team couldn't get the ball out of their end and because of the wind didn't punt the ball past the 35 yard line. They gave up 21 points in the quarter and none of the 3 scoring drives were longer than 35 yards. They didn't turn the ball over. They ended up losing by 21 points.

If a team can pin a team deep and score a few TD's while they have the wind at their advantage it can dictate the game.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Easy answer. Momentum. Had a game last night where one team couldn't get the ball out of their end and because of the wind didn't punt the ball past the 35 yard line. They gave up 21 points in the quarter and none of the 3 scoring drives were longer than 35 yards. They didn't turn the ball over. They ended up losing by 21 points.

If a team can pin a team deep and score a few TD's while they have the wind at their advantage it can dictate the game.
By "momentum" you mean psychology. If they thought the same way regarding tiebreaking frames, they'd rather "bat in the top of the inning".

BTW, in my club's games we don't change ends at the quarters, because for crowd control reasons they have the team bench areas on the same side of the field, and they don't want to make the subs have to walk thru each other twice (more) a game. So when we had a windy Saturday it did pay to choose an end to defend.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Wed Oct 27, 2010 at 10:45pm.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
There are more downs at the end of a half than at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters. It makes sense to most teams to have the wind at one's back and/or be looking at the scoreboard to end a half.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
There are more downs at the end of a half than at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters. It makes sense to most teams to have the wind at one's back and/or be looking at the scoreboard to end a half.
There are more downs only because a team is looking to conserve time. If they had the wind in the odd numbered quarter they could conserve time then.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I cannot believe you are asking about which end to defend when there is a 50 mph wind blowing the length of the field. If you have the wind at your back you can successfully kick or throw the ball if the situation requires it at the end of the game or half. If you fall behind in the scoring and the wind is in your face, you can't do anything drastic at the end of the half or game to get big plays.

Besides, who calls a time out in the 1st and 3rd quarters to "conserve time"?
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Let me also add that it mattered little in defensing the other team's passing game and actually hindered the electing team when they were down and needed to pass late in the game. The team that chose wind also was pinched at their own endzone late from a 60+ yard punt that K downed at R's 1....forcing them to have to punt out of their own EZ for a 17 yarder. Is back fire one or two words...?

I'll stay out of the pi$$ing match you guys have got going about number of plays and what not, but in those conditions...there is clearly an advantage in going with the wind.

Worked a youth game last night in nearly the same conditions and had a split end get pushed forward by the wind for a false start. Field was terrible and almost nothing but dirt to the point that my ump had to literally hold the ball between his feet or hold it with his hands or the ball would blow away in a split second until the center got it in his hand...absolutely crazy out there.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
I cannot believe you are asking about which end to defend when there is a 50 mph wind blowing the length of the field. If you have the wind at your back you can successfully kick or throw the ball if the situation requires it at the end of the game or half. If you fall behind in the scoring and the wind is in your face, you can't do anything drastic at the end of the half or game to get big plays.

Besides, who calls a time out in the 1st and 3rd quarters to "conserve time"?
I saw a team burn 2 at the end of the first quarter to force a team to punt into the wind a few weeks ago. It ended up being a 12 yard punt and the other team scored a TD quickly.