The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Playoffs???

Just curious on how playoffs were assigned in everyone's area. In the chapter that I am there is a District playoff assignor. There are 5 (or 6) chapters that make up our district. He is responsible of assigning all district level playoff games girls and boys. He does an extremely good job. Officials for the most part have no idea until the playoffs get here if they will have a game or not. I got my first playoff game last year but that doesn't mean I will get one this year. I am hopful though.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

IHSA Assigning process.

We have a Girl's Basketball Administrator and a Boy's Basketball Administrator for the IHSA

We have two classes of playoffs. Class A--the smaller schools. Class AA--the largest schools. All playoff assignments are assigned by one person (for individual gender) throughout the playoffs. The administrators assigned based on a rating system, availability of officials, geographic area, level or ranking of an official, previous playoff experience, observations made by either the administrator or other IHSA personnel and any other qualification that is not listed to assign playoff officials.

Also in our state everyone makes the playoffs, they are just assigned by Regionals through rankings and geographic area. Most officials that work the playoffs work multiple games. There are exceptions. I will be working a Class A Boy's Regional this year and at my particular site, there will be two separate crews (at least) working the entire Regional. There are 6 total games and I will be working the Championship Game with likely two other officials. There will be another crew that will work one of the Regional quarterfinals and semi-finals. So if everyone has similar availability then only 6 officials will work the Regional site. Class A has more schools and this is common. Class AA has fewer schools overall and usually the Boy's side uses one crew to work all the games on that side. Those assignments have not come out yet, so time will tell if that is how it will work again. I have done the last 3 years of Class AA Boy's Regionals and that is what was done all 3 times. Very few Class AA Regionals have another crew working a game outside of the crew that works the championship, but there are a few that have two games on one night and it is not required that an official would work both games on that night.

The Sectional level usually has two crews. There are 3 games total, two semi-finals and a championship game. One crew works two games and one crew is only assigned 1 game. You have to work a Regional Final in order to move to this level.

The Super-Sectional level is one game. The officials that work these games worked a Sectional Final during the same playoffs and are one step away from the State Finals Assignment.

The last level is the State Finals have had to work. Officials are only going to work two games. The first day (Friday) everyone works what is called a Quarterfinal. The next day officials are assigned a Semi-Final, 3rd Place game or Championship game.

All assignments are done by one person out of the IHSA Office or what is called the Sports Administrator. Local associations have no say in who works a playoff game and who does not. There are some ratings associations can submit, but it is factored in with many assignments and one rating or submission is not going to make or break one assignment.

All games are 3 Person mechanics. And when someone works the final level, they are considered as a State Final Official. It was a long standing unwritten rule that you only could work the Finals 3 times. That rule has kind of gone by the waste side, but you can only work 2 in a row at the most (you might not qualify) and after that you may work another 2 in a row if you qualify. But there are no guarantees. Also it is really only likely that you will work one Championship game.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 10:02pm.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
Just curious on how playoffs were assigned in everyone's area. In the chapter that I am there is a District playoff assignor. There are 5 (or 6) chapters that make up our district. He is responsible of assigning all district level playoff games girls and boys. He does an extremely good job. Officials for the most part have no idea until the playoffs get here if they will have a game or not. I got my first playoff game last year but that doesn't mean I will get one this year. I am hopful though.
Washinton State - Snohomish County Association

Our local associations (boys and girls are separate) get a certain number of "slots" for district playoffs. The number of slots we get is based on a formula which includes the number of certified officials we have in our association plus the number of schools we serve.

Our regular-season assignors also assign the district playoffs and fill those slots based on our ratings system.

We send our top-rated officials to state (the number of slots is again based on the number of certified officials in our group and the number of schools we serve). There are 6 state tournaments in the state of Washington. This year, our group is sending a total of 4 officials to state in boys and 4 in girls. We have a local association rule that an individual official may not go to state more than two years in a row.

The state tournaments have their own staff who assign the games at state and do the observing/evaluation process.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I have had a playoff game the last 4 years. But our boards merged this year ( Boys and girls were seperated ) I have no idea if I will get one....Also hopeful.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Playoffs??

You're talkin' about PLAYOFFS????
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Texas: as far as I know, all playoff games up until the regionals (state octafinals and quarterfinal levels) are assigned by local chapter secretaries, some of whom work with an assignment committee (usually them with the Pres/VP or similar). Either these committees or the entire boards fill whatever regional level assignments the chapters get. Most chapters get 1 or 2 regionals (both boys and girls) -- 4 teams with 3 games on a friday night/saturday -- that they are responsible for assigning. The girls start playoffs a week ahead of the boys, thus their regional and state tournaments are a week earlier. The chapters that get the regional assignments are given areas away from their geographical area. For example, Houston might work the Dallas area regionals, while Dallas might work the San Antonio area regionals (etc).

State tournament games are assigned based on, I think, evaluators who scan the regional play. However, those working the state tournament work essentially a 3 year assignment window. We have three guys in our chapter this year who are in the third year of their state tournament assignment. So the state tournament assignments are set.
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Chapter secretaries don't fill Regional assignments. The UIL assigns a particular Regional site to a Chapter, then selects the officials from the top 25% list that we have to submit to them. These lists rank our officials from best to worst, and we have to submit our top 3 Men's and 3 women's crews. I'll be working a Regional this year, there will be 2 Divisions, my chapter will work one division and the other chapter will take the second. We will all work a semi final game on Friday, then the top 2 crews will work the Finals on Saturday.

CLH
Old Wed Feb 07, 2007, 10:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play-offs???!!!
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

In WI all the games boys and girls are assigned from the WIAA (State Office). The regional and sectional games come on in the 2nd and 3rd week of Jan and the State Tournament games are assigned a week later.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Texas: as far as I know, all playoff games up until the regionals (state octafinals and quarterfinal levels) are assigned by local chapter secretaries, some of whom work with an assignment committee (usually them with the Pres/VP or similar). Either these committees or the entire boards fill whatever regional level assignments the chapters get. Most chapters get 1 or 2 regionals (both boys and girls) -- 4 teams with 3 games on a friday night/saturday -- that they are responsible for assigning. The girls start playoffs a week ahead of the boys, thus their regional and state tournaments are a week earlier. The chapters that get the regional assignments are given areas away from their geographical area. For example, Houston might work the Dallas area regionals, while Dallas might work the San Antonio area regionals (etc).

State tournament games are assigned based on, I think, evaluators who scan the regional play. However, those working the state tournament work essentially a 3 year assignment window. We have three guys in our chapter this year who are in the third year of their state tournament assignment. So the state tournament assignments are set.
Actually, all games UP TO the Regional Tournaments are handled by request of coaches or the UIL, and the assignments are filled by Chapter Assigning Secretaries or Chapter Boards. The Regional Tournaments and State Tournament are filled by the University Interscholastic League (UIL) Athletic Directors. The Regional Tournament assignments are based on, or rather chosen from, a top 25% list that is submitted to the UIL by each Chapter Board. So, the CHAPTER is awarded a Regional Tournament (site is determined by the UIL), and the UIL also determines which officials will go to that Regional Tournament based on that Chapter's Top 25% List.

Hope that isn't too confusing.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Actually, all games UP TO the Regional Tournaments are handled by request of coaches or the UIL, and the assignments are filled by Chapter Assigning Secretaries or Chapter Boards. The Regional Tournaments and State Tournament are filled by the University Interscholastic League (UIL) Athletic Directors. The Regional Tournament assignments are based on, or rather chosen from, a top 25% list that is submitted to the UIL by each Chapter Board. So, the CHAPTER is awarded a Regional Tournament (site is determined by the UIL), and the UIL also determines which officials will go to that Regional Tournament based on that Chapter's Top 25% List.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

ummmm, isn't that pretty much what i just said?
CLH
Old Thu Feb 08, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
the State Tournament games are assigned a week later.
Did you get one?