The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   50-60mph winds tonight for playoffs (https://forum.officiating.com/football/59546-50-60mph-winds-tonight-playoffs.html)

wisref2 Tue Oct 26, 2010 01:49pm

50-60mph winds tonight for playoffs

This should be fun!!!! Crazy things on kick plays, no passing, throw the flag and have it blown back into your face. Be prepared for some wacky stories from Wisconsin tomorrow.

MNBlue Tue Oct 26, 2010 02:02pm

I'm in Minnesota and we have those same winds on top of rain. It's going to be a fun night.

With_Two_Flakes Tue Oct 26, 2010 02:10pm

If the wind gets really bad, maybe you need to be flagging things Dennis Eckersley sidearm style....

Rich Tue Oct 26, 2010 02:31pm

Going with the wind tonight could make for some interesting coin toss choices.

Dark=heads, light=tails. In the playoffs here, the kids don't even get to call the coin. :D

jTheUmp Tue Oct 26, 2010 02:49pm

Yep, this should be an interesting night.

I know one of the teams in my game likes to run the shotgun-spread, no-huddle offense. I'm interested to see how they adjust.

Natural grass field too. Gonna have to bring the extra towel with me.

sportsref Tue Oct 26, 2010 03:02pm

Windy Day

Well it is 40 degrees here in NW WI with Windshield of 28 already. Game TIme is 4 hours away...not looking so hot...oh by the way I have seen a few snowflakes....Captin you have won the toss....I WILL TAKE THE WIND...sir!!Have a great game men...be safe and dress warm!!!;)

chymechowder Tue Oct 26, 2010 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 698134)
If the wind gets really bad, maybe you need to be flagging things Dennis Eckersley sidearm style....

or submarine style a la Quisenberry (RIP)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedi...uisenberry.jpg

Rich Tue Oct 26, 2010 04:20pm

Or if the wind is behind you a 10-yard toss ends up going 30.

The teams that can run tonight will have the advantage. At this precise second, it's 50 degrees with a 28 MPH wind (gusting over 40).

Time to get ready and head to the school. Bringing the gloves tonight.

jemiller Tue Oct 26, 2010 05:29pm

Here is SD the same story. Light rain, steady wind of 30-35 MPH, gusts over 58 MPH. And if that isn't enough, snow later! Hopefully after the game. I have done games in worse conditions, but I can't think of too much worse than these.

A running game is your asset tonight. Enjoy...Jim

Reffing Rev. Tue Oct 26, 2010 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisref2 (Post 698131)
This should be fun!!!! Crazy things on kick plays, no passing, throw the flag and have it blown back into your face. Be prepared for some wacky stories from Wisconsin tomorrow.

Wind might even blow a coach across the field or something.

HLin NC Tue Oct 26, 2010 06:25pm

Football....on Tuesday?????

MNBlue Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 698214)
Football....on Tuesday?????

In MN, the first round of our section playoffs are on Tuesday and the semi-finals are on Saturday. Section finals are next week on Friday.

3 games in 10 days.

Canned Heat Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:29am

Dark team won the toss and deferred last night. Light team chose to defend the South goal. When we tried to talk the spokesman into taking the ball, his exact words were; "I know...we'll be kicking both halves. We want to pin them with the wind." Had an almost constant 35+ wind out of the S-SW last night, the entire game.

The goal post uprights at this school are about 2" pipe and they were bent about 5 or 6 feet out of square from the wind. I can never remember working a game on a natural grass field where you had to stand over the ball to keep it from blowing away.

On a side note....the victorious team passed quite a bit, but every long pass over 25 yards in the air had absolutely no chance by either team last night.

bkdow Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:32am

It was very memorable last night. I threw a sideline warning flag and my flag ended up at the base of the fence next to the bleachers about 20 yards away. The referee, Umpire and BJ kept losing their hats. We have 1 completed pass with about 7 attempted. All the punts were low line drives and the PAT's were interesting as well.

Our BJ almost got into the one deep pass play because the ball moved about 15 yards from Left to Right. Both teams were extremely competitive and very sportsmanlike. It was a fun game to do despite the weather!

Canned Heat Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:45am

Forgot....also had a high kickoff by the home team that went about 25 yards and by the time it touched the ground, it was going backwards toward the kick-line. Receiving team backed up to block on the return and the ball ended up bouncing about 15 yards from the kick line...recovered by K.

Saw alot of crazy stuff last night.