The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Intentional grounding is an illegal forward pass in NFHS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 09, 2010, 08:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
So did we. My LJ's first ever and my crew's first IW in 6 years (the prior 2 were by officials no longer on the crew). I took a spoonful of crap on the sideline (another benefit of wearing the magic white hat).

It was a costly one as the ball had come loose and the opposition recovered and we had to give it back to A at the spot of the fumble (which was bagged) which was at the end of a long run.
That's exactly how ours went too. LJ had it... ball came loose after the whistle.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then, for some unknown reason, the QB drops back and as he's chased with 0 left on the clock, he throws the ball away. As I'm quickly contemplating calling IG (cause there was nobody even close to the pass),
But with time expired for the game, unless he was passing from his end zone, can that rightly be considered an attempt to avoid loss of yardage?
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 10:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
But with time expired for the game, unless he was passing from his end zone, can that rightly be considered an attempt to avoid loss of yardage?
Why wouldn't it? I don't split those hairs. If he wasn't concerned with losing yardage, he would've dropped to a knee.

Regardless, we wouldn't have an untimed down since an IFP carries a loss of down, so I considered it unnecessary to drag out the game with a flag and an enforcement.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had a near brawl this morning in a game that was a big, fat nothing until the final play.

Down 39-6, the visiting team called a timeout on defense with 3 seconds left in the game and 4th down for the home team (the clock was running). I slid over to the offense's huddle and listened in, cause I was expecting the QB to burn the 3 seconds and then fall to the ground. That's what the coach told him.

Then, for some unknown reason, the QB drops back and as he's chased with 0 left on the clock, he throws the ball away. As I'm quickly contemplating calling IG (cause there was nobody even close to the pass), a player for the home team throws down a player for the visiting team. All the officials get between the players and there's a lot of yelling and screaming and the coaches come on the field to get between their players.

Discretion being the better part of valor, I passed on throwing a flag for IG and we walked off the field. As we did, there was almost a fight in the handshake line. That's the coaches' problem. We were already in the endzone and we did turn around and take a look at the proceedings, but we weren't going back.

While walking off, I was talking to a member of the chain crew, who simply said -- if they don't call that stupid timeout, none of this happens. No kidding, but we simply couldn't ignore the request since the head coach was screaming at the top of his lungs for the timeout.
I tend to experience a temporary loss of hearing in instances such as this one.
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I tend to experience a temporary loss of hearing in instances such as this one.
We tried, trust me.