The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation It must have been a full moon or something

Two 8th grade boys rec games last night. In the first, my partner ejected a spectator. In the second, my partner (different partner) ejected a spectator (different spectator).

Although I really enjoyed both actions, I have to admit I was stunned by the coincidence.

Oh yeah, last Saturday morning, my partner (again, a different partner) ejected a spectator. It was some 6th grade girl's mom. She brought her breakfast into the gym and the school district has a rule against food or drink in the gym at middle and elementary schools (except water in plastic water bottles). The rule is posted on all the entrance doors and in our local kids rec league, it's the officials responsibility to enforce it. The woman gave my partner a really hard time about the food and when my partner (a college freshman in her 5th year reffing with us) told her that if the school custodian came in and saw the food, our organization would be fined (true), the woman actually said, "I don't care." Buh-bye. At first, she resisted leaving but my partner told her that if she didn't, she could be arrested for trespassing under Oregon law (true), then asked me to go get her phone out of her bag so she could call the police. The woman immediately got up and left. Cool.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

wow - first it's fashion police and now food court police. Well, I guess you could all get jobs at the local mall in your off season(s)
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Mark first I am impressed that a young person is willing to do her job. So often too many of us think it is only our job to inforce only the rules we agree with.

Second 6th grade girls' moms are the worst!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I have very nicely asked two seperate couples (one was grandma and grandpa at the gym to watch their 11 yr old grandson play, and the other was a mom and dad duo there to watch their 13 yr old son) to please leave the gym due to a similar "NO FOOD" policy.

While we don't have signs posted in our gyms, all the coaches know the rules. Our penalty is different (County could prohibit us from using the gym - at least, that's the threat anyhow). I basically explained the policy and asked them politely and they both were "genuinely surprised" at: a). the policy, and b). that anyone actually brought it up to them and enforced it. They both complied.

Ya know Mark......I'm starting to think you attract trouble and bizarre events.....hmmmm.....NAH!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
Mark first I am impressed that a young person is willing to do her job. So often too many of us think it is only our job to inforce only the rules we agree with.

Second 6th grade girls' moms are the worst!
This particular young lady is an excellent official and has terrific "court presence". I started working with her when she was a freshman in HS and she has just gotten better each season. I have no doubt she could handle "real" HS freshman games. Not only does she work our league, she attends community college and also works PT at a local Starbucks. She is terrific with the kids during games and is not afraid to address coaches if they get out of line, but she does this always in a professional manner (didn't learn that from me ).

BTW - 3rd grade girls' moms are the worst!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Ya know Mark......I'm starting to think you attract trouble and bizarre events.....hmmmm.....NAH!
I blame it on a few of my alternate personalities. BTW - "The United States of Tara" on Showtime is now my favorite show (after Judge Judy, of course).
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Some high schools in our league have a no food policy, some do not. But ALL sell food. Do they really expect you to buy a popcorn and eat it outside the gym? Luckily for the refs, school admins are food police.

One HS admin approached a visiting team, and told them to remove all gatorade from the gym! That's taking it a little far if you ask me.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball_lurker View Post
Some high schools in our league have a no food policy, some do not. But ALL sell food. Do they really expect you to buy a popcorn and eat it outside the gym? Luckily for the refs, school admins are food police.

One HS admin approached a visiting team, and told them to remove all gatorade from the gym! That's taking it a little far if you ask me.
Water is a quick clean up. Gatorade contains sugar and becomes a sticky mess.

8th grade moms asking the refs to call more timeouts because the girls' mascara is dripping into their eyes are the worst!
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

A rec league makes the officials responsible for keeping food and drink out of the gym? How are you supposed to do that and, I don't know, ref the game? We have the same rule in all of our gyms, but we have site managers responsible for enforcement.
I did have a parent from an opposing travel team actually suggest that he and I step out into the parking lot over the rule this past season. That was a fun day.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 07:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachCER View Post
A rec league makes the officials responsible for keeping food and drink out of the gym? How are you supposed to do that and, I don't know, ref the game?
The league doesn't "make me do it."

Along with reffing I like to help the league out in other ways - training officials, briefing coaches at the draft, helping register players at evaluation nights, etc. If I see a parent, coach, fan, player violating a policy or just generally being "stoopid," I'll generally say something.

I also submit a weekend report (self-imposed) to my Rec Leagues each Monday to let them know of my weekend observations - gyms, teams, coaches, parents, referee evaluations, etc.

Just trying to help make things better.