View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 10, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
We had a near brawl this morning in a game that was a big, fat nothing until the final play.

Down 39-6, the visiting team called a timeout on defense with 3 seconds left in the game and 4th down for the home team (the clock was running). I slid over to the offense's huddle and listened in, cause I was expecting the QB to burn the 3 seconds and then fall to the ground. That's what the coach told him.

Then, for some unknown reason, the QB drops back and as he's chased with 0 left on the clock, he throws the ball away. As I'm quickly contemplating calling IG (cause there was nobody even close to the pass), a player for the home team throws down a player for the visiting team. All the officials get between the players and there's a lot of yelling and screaming and the coaches come on the field to get between their players.

Discretion being the better part of valor, I passed on throwing a flag for IG and we walked off the field. As we did, there was almost a fight in the handshake line. That's the coaches' problem. We were already in the endzone and we did turn around and take a look at the proceedings, but we weren't going back.

While walking off, I was talking to a member of the chain crew, who simply said -- if they don't call that stupid timeout, none of this happens. No kidding, but we simply couldn't ignore the request since the head coach was screaming at the top of his lungs for the timeout.
I tend to experience a temporary loss of hearing in instances such as this one.