The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Full or 30

NFHS

Does anyone have a good way of remembering how many 60 and 30 second time outs each team has remaining?

Sometimes after a coach requests a time and I grant it, I'll ask if he wants a full or 30 second time out when he only has full time outs left. It would be nice to already know that without asking the coach or scorer.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 09:54am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

Does anyone have a good way of remembering how many 60 and 30 second time outs each team has remaining?

Sometimes after a coach requests a time and I grant it, I'll ask if he wants a full or 30 second time out when he only has full time outs left. It would be nice to already know that without asking the coach or scorer.
Well, you shouldn't use elastics around your fingers or anything. I think you just have to work it into your game, much like working remembering the arrow into your game. Maybe start with 30s TOs first -you know - baby steps.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 12:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I don't keep track at all. When I report to the table, I expect the scorer to tell me if the team is "out" of the type requested. Then I tell the coach, for instance, that it's not a 30 but a 60 since that's all he has left. Prior to the game, I tell the scorer only to tell us when a team has used it's final TO, not how many remain since I don't care.

While we're on the subject, a similar situation exists with personal foul counts. I tell the scorer absolutely not to tell me or my partner how many personal fouls a player has unless we just called the fifth. I'm sure you can realize the "indirect" benefits of this policy.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS

Wow.........I thought this thread was directed at me!!!
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
LOL!!!!

It is funny because I was thinking the same exact thing. I had to look again to make sure I was not reading the wrong title.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I don't keep track at all. When I report to the table, I expect the scorer to tell me if the team is "out" of the type requested.
I completely agree. This is the table's responsibility. You just report what you are told and if a team is out one or the other, the table should tell you. We are not football officials that can write down each request for a timeout.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
LOL!!!!

It is funny because I was thinking the same exact thing. I had to look again to make sure I was not reading the wrong title.

Peace
me, three
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"I only have 30's left. You idiot" ...

Quote:
Full or 30? Does anyone have a good way of remembering how many 60 and 30 second time outs each team has remaining?
On our local board, we're taught to ask, and report, 60 or 30, not full or 30.

Good question. I only want the table to tell me when a team has used up all of their timeouts, so that I can notify the coach that he has no time outs left. However, I can see your point. Several times since the two types of time outs were introduced, I've made a call that the coach may have disagreed with, he asks for a timeout without specifying which type, I'll ask, "60 or 30?" (sometimes I'll forget and ask, "Full or 30?"), and he'll take this an an opportunity to sarcastically say, "I only have 30's left" (implying, "You idiot"). It's times like those that I wish I had known more information.

Happy Thanksgiving.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 07:04pm
We don't rent pigs

I tell the coaches in pre-game, let us see a 30 signal, or you will get a full.
That's always been good enough up to now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Nov 27, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Here is what I ask when I am part of a crew:

2-man crew: Umpire keeps track of how many 30s the home team has used; Referee does the same for the visiting team. They can then share that info as needed. "Hey partner, white is now out of 30s."

3-man crew: U1 keeps track of the 30s for the home team; U2 tracks the 30s for the visitor; Referee tracks the fulls for both teams.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 12:26am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Here is what I ask when I am part of a crew:

2-man crew: Umpire keeps track of how many 30s the home team has used; Referee does the same for the visiting team. They can then share that info as needed. "Hey partner, white is now out of 30s."

3-man crew: U1 keeps track of the 30s for the home team; U2 tracks the 30s for the visitor; Referee tracks the fulls for both teams.
What good does this do?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What good does this do?
It makes the officials look good in the area of game management and helps avoid any unnecessary problems by having to communicate with an unhappy coach. See posts #1 and #8.

Also helps with the referee's "definite knowledge" should there be a bookkeeping mistake regarding the number of time-outs used.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 01:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It makes the officials look good in the area of game management and helps avoid any unnecessary problems by having to communicate with an unhappy coach. See posts #1 and #8.

Also helps with the referee's "definite knowledge" should there be a bookkeeping mistake regarding the number of time-outs used.
If a coach asks for a 30 and has only a full, you give him the full. It's a
non-issue. If there is a bookkeeping mistake, exactly how do you proceed with this definite knowledge?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a coach asks for a 30 and has only a full, you give him the full. It's a non-issue.
No, unless I am aware that he is out of 30s, I will signal for a 30, tell my partners that it is a 30, then head to the table and report a 30. When I learn that he is out of 30s, I now have to tell the coach of the non-calling team, who likely watched me report or perhaps even asked me on my way to the table what type of TO was taken and then dutifully kept his team standing, that it is a full and his team can sit down. Then I need to inform the coach of the calling team that he has to take a full because he already used his 30s, and finally I have to tell my partners who are standing in the wrong locations to move. It is just better to know in advance and not have to go through all of this and look like a fool.

Quote:
If there is a bookkeeping mistake, exactly how do you proceed with this definite knowledge?
Example A:
Table has each team recorded as using one 30 and two fulls. Coach B disagrees. I'm the R. My parters are Jack and Bob. I ask Jack how many 30s Team B has taken. He says zero. I ask Bob how many 30s Team A has taken. He says both of them. I now know the problem. The bookkeeper wrote down one of the 30s on the wrong side. I fix it and avoid having to write a report to the state office for all of the nastiness that would have occurred had the visiting team gotten screwed out of a time-out.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2008, 09:03am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
In the 4th qtr, when a time out is being used, either my partner or I will check on time-outs remaining at the table and inform each other and after the 2nd horn and before the ball is put in play, we will advise the coaches. We don't do this for EVERY time out in the 4th qtr...usually just once.

If we go into OT, I have my partner inform the coaches they have one additional TO, because it wasn't MY fault.